HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 18, 2015, 01:55 AM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Help!
Motor wont switch off!

Hi guys,

I'm a complete beginner and have just been bought a EZ Hawk for my birthday.

I've just put it all together, and connected it all up with no problems, but when i turn on the transmitter, the motor on the plane starts running as full speed, and i can't control it from the transmitter to stop it, or slow it down. Everything else works fine and is controlled nicely by the transmitter, except for the engine.

Its supposed to be "ready to fly" out of the box so didn't want to start messing about with it in case i've missed something...

Any suggestions?
bappleby3000 is offline Find More Posts by bappleby3000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2015, 02:23 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
3,570 Posts
Try it in this order :

1 . Put throttle stick on transmitter all the way down to no throttle , and push throttle trim all the way down to no throttle .

2 . Turn on the transmitter

3 . Plug in battery

4 . you should hear some beeps , when beeps stop you're ready to go .

Al
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:27 AM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for that - it worked a treat - Would be great if they actually told us beginners this in the instructions!

Just a quick other question - When i turn off the transmitter, before disconnecting the battery, the motor runs at full throttle again.... is this normal? Do I just have to get into the habit of disconnecting the battery before turning off the transmitter?

Sorry, one last question - Is there a way of swapping the throttle controls around so that pushing it up increases the throttle as at the moment its the other way round and i've been using a training app that works this way round.

Cheers, and thanks for your help!
bappleby3000 is offline Find More Posts by bappleby3000
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:48 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,152 Posts
1. The right way of switching off is always plane first (i.e. unplug battery) THEN switch transmitter off. But most good radio systems have a "failsafe" which means the motor doesn't run when the transmitter is switched off when everything else is live. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to all basic RTF systems.

2. Up for full throttle is the way it should work. There will be a set of reversing switches somewhere (usually on the front panel) that you can use to change this for the throttle channel (or the others if e.g. the rudder or elevator are going the wrong way).

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 18, 2015, 06:08 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,466 Posts
Just to amplify what slipstick has said in his item 1; the plane should never be powered up without the transmitter being switched on and transmitting. If the plane's powered without the transmitter on, it's getting no control signal, and therefore its receiver doesn't know what it's supposed to do -- in your instance it goes to full throttle. So that means switch on transmitter first, and switch off transmitter last.

Most mainstream radio sets these days, and some ESCs themselves, have failsafe functions which prevent them from starting the motor when they're not getting the proper signal, or when they're not getting any signal. Cheaper rtfs often don't come with that function
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 01, 2015, 06:20 PM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2014
94 Posts
Is the esc calibrated wrong?
alphatex is online now Find More Posts by alphatex
Old Feb 01, 2015, 08:51 PM
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
550 Posts
Is the throttle switch at the bottom of the transmitter(if there are switches) flipped in the wrong slot?
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
Old Feb 02, 2015, 01:56 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
561 Posts
Given the problems you are having with the throttle I hope you have taken the propeller off.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Feb 02, 2015, 09:03 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
2,240 Posts
I know we get people not knowing about tx on first/off last enough around here, but it seems the runaway motors like this seem to often be the EZ Hawks. A dangerous design for a plane meant for beginners. Though I guess it will teach people the hard way about the tx on first rule!
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Feb 03, 2015, 12:27 PM
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherhalf2 View Post
Given the problems you are having with the throttle I hope you have taken the propeller off.
Yes, please remember to always remove the propeller when setting up a new model!

These electric motors have instant torque and the electric propellers they use can be sharp enough to slice right into you. Best you don't ask how I know this first hand

See my Handling your electric airplane SAFELY thread for more airplane safety tips
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 03, 2015, 02:48 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bappleby3000 View Post
Thanks for that - it worked a treat - Would be great if they actually told us beginners this in the instructions!

Just a quick other question - When i turn off the transmitter, before disconnecting the battery, the motor runs at full throttle again.... is this normal? Do I just have to get into the habit of disconnecting the battery before turning off the transmitter?
This is because you bound the receiver initially with the throttle full on. Now that you have corrected that, rebind and now the failsafe will be with the throttle off.

Sorry, one last question - Is there a way of swapping the throttle controls around so that pushing it up increases the throttle as at the moment its the other way round and i've been using a training app that works this way round.
I assumed above that you had already reversed the throttle, if not you just need to reverse the throttle control befor doing the above rebind.
Cheers, and thanks for your help!
See comments in red
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Feb 03, 2015, 03:47 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
12,466 Posts
Even with the throttle reversed so it works in the correct direction, and even with the fail-safe configured properly, you should always have your transmitter switched on while the model is powered up.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Feb 03, 2015, 07:17 PM
Joined Aug 2014
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Yes, please remember to always remove the propeller when setting up a new model!

These electric motors have instant torque and the electric propellers they use can be sharp enough to slice right into you. Best you don't ask how I know this first hand

See my Handling your electric airplane SAFELY thread for more airplane safety tips
I didn't remove my prop from a plane I was binding to a stock four channel transmitter. Soon as I connected the battery the motor started spinning full speed. The plane started moving and I went to grab it . The plane turned in my grip and the prop started slicing through my sweater and into my forearm! Two inch cut with some swelling from a 60 mph plane.

I know better but I got lazy.
Old Feb 03, 2015, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2014
550 Posts
The prop strike on my arm happened five days ago and I got lucky this past Sunday doing the same exact thing with a different plane. Prop made a tear in my sweater but missed any skin. This time my wife was there to unplug the battery while I was trying to keep the plane from lifting off in my hallway
Old Feb 04, 2015, 04:33 AM
United States, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2014
94 Posts
The Wife, best tool money can't buy.
alphatex is online now Find More Posts by alphatex