Jan 06, 2010, 02:07 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anybody been sent home from work coz of snow?

Bet you feel guilty-- eh??

PIG
Jan 06, 2010, 02:18 AM
Try the Truth for a change
Yes. We had a rare blizzard here in Seattle about 15 years ago and it took me 10 hours to get home and I ended up walking the last 2 miles after a 6 hour bus ride leaving my car stuck 20 miles away!

But I don't feel guilty.
Jan 06, 2010, 03:00 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
No, I didn't feel guilty.
Jan 06, 2010, 03:25 AM
sensitive artsy type
Guilty?

In the south here, snow is a holiday. It is a tradition, as it only happens with any long lasting residue on the ground every three or four years. We have one predicted for Thursday afternoon. I would guess that as Wednesday night draws near, they will begin to announce school and business closings. Once folks went to work and got stuck for hours in non moving traffic when it snowed in the middle of the day, like Bill above, and it was pretty bad, folks ran out of gas and abandoned their cars.

What is bad is the ice storms, knock power out for three four days, once for over a week when I was a kid. It is quite hilly in Atlanta, as we are at around 900 ft. in elevation, and if you stop at a redlight going uphill and there is ice on the road, fuggetabout it, you ain't going nowhere. You can drive here, but you have to time the lights, and if there are idiots out trying to drive like normal, best have your old beater car out only.
Jan 06, 2010, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Anybody been sent home from work coz of snow?
Global warming scientists?
Jan 06, 2010, 06:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo
Global warming scientists?
Arn't we all them
I mean here at the doghouse we are experts on EVERTHING

PIG
Jan 06, 2010, 07:16 AM
Sent home? No, I didn't go. It turns out neither did anyone else. That was yesterday. I phoned in this morning. One guy who lives locally made it in. He was just picking up some e-mails then off home again. No more snow today yet so I might try to get in tommorow.
Jan 06, 2010, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortato
Sent home? No, I didn't go. It turns out neither did anyone else. That was yesterday. I phoned in this morning. One guy who lives locally made it in. He was just picking up some e-mails then off home again. No more snow today yet so I might try to get in tommorow.

you mind that sneaky ice!
Jan 06, 2010, 07:34 AM
I smell lithium now
Nope. Snow happens in the wintertime. The only tricky part is guessing how traffic will be in the snow... I left the same time mon, tue, and wed this week - mon I was 1 minute late, Tue I was 20 min early, and wed I was 40 min early getting here
Jan 06, 2010, 08:06 AM
Trons and Fumes
Yes. No guilt.
Jan 06, 2010, 08:32 AM
Get One Up!!!
Cancelled a meeting yesterday. At the time that it was suggested that it be cancelled we hadn't had much snow and I was wavering. By the afternoon I was glad that we'd decided to cancel. It was mayhem outside, with a steady stream of cars getting stuck and eventually abandoned. A few were able to get towed out by a tractor but there were still a few left there this morning.

School was closed so my boy was able to go for a walk and take a few snaps. The village looks pretty with a nice white blanket cover and it really deadens any noise. Lovely, as long as one does not need to get anywhere.
Jan 06, 2010, 08:35 AM
St. Boondock
No! I work at home
Jan 06, 2010, 08:37 AM
Out of Time
I've already decided to give my employees the day off this coming Friday because the high in Houston is going to be just above freezing.
Much of what we do is production warehouse work so there's no point making them work.

No guilt on their part, I'm sure.

I sure wish this global warming thing would kick in. I hope all those really smart scientists weren't wrong or anything, or that they've been lying about it all along. I'd hate to think that.
Jan 06, 2010, 08:49 AM
Figure 9 Expert
what is this snow day you speak of?
Jan 06, 2010, 10:14 AM
Suspended Account
If I get sent home, that just means they have to get somebody else to work in my place. I go to work when no one else can. A few years ago I fired a girl because of alot of reasons. One was it had snowed, she said she could get out of here driveway and get to work. She livedd two miles away with only flat land to drive and she owned a fourwheel drive. I made it to work over 15 miles of hills with a two wheel drive.

Quick Reply