HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2005, 11:35 PM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Finally the illumination is here!!!

Well after spending a measly 5 bucks and spending more time then I wanted to because of certain shortcuts(don't do it), I finally finished my night flying light setup.

I found the bright lights leds at a local electronics store and found that their documentation wasn't exactly correct for all led's but I figured it out in the end. They do really show their stuff when it's REALLY dark outside and at dusk it really didn't help.

One thing I'll point out is the illumination you can see from the front led(blue) and the rear led(white) is awesome!!!

enjoy!
fb
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2005, 01:17 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Awesome!! Have you tried night flying yet? What were some of the problems you experienced? How are they connected? Details, man. Details!

I saw a very cool F6F Hellcat that had flashing lights, landing lights AND 90 degree rotating retracts. What a cool bird it is!
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:19 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Hawk-

This is a bone simple setup with just a servo cable, some resistors, soldering, super bright led's, and some 30g wire. It pulls only 110mah so it prolly won't even matter when flying the ES.

I would highly recommend that you strip the enamel off the 30g wire on each end and then solder instead of trying to make a connection with just the end of the wire. This is what stalled me too dang long.

I haven't done the maiden night-flight but I think it will happen soon as it's gets darker faster this time of year.

fb
Old Sep 13, 2005, 02:42 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
It looks lovely and bright (I've just tried taking photos of my recent attempt and it doesn't look nearly as good) but red is supposed to be on the left (port) and green on the right (starboard).

It's a right of way thing, if you are on a collision course and can see their red light, you should give way - they can see your green light and should hold their course. Obviously it's not *that* important for a model but if you're going to use red and green....
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Sep 13, 2005, 03:04 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
I've seen a few of these LED setups. Most (heck, all!) of the ones I've seen look quite pretty in the dark, but don't do a great job of helping with orientation - the pilot is flying a couple of points of light, and depth perception just doesn't work when looking at small points, so it is very easy to get disoriented.

Aiming the LED's back at the plane itself, as Fly Boy did, makes things quite a bit better. Now you're flying little patches of light instead of little points of light.

Recently I built a Multiplex Stuntman. This plane is a moulded depron shell - what looks like 3mm depron formed into the compound curves of the fuse and wings. On a whim I stuck my LED keychain into the fuse via the hatch and turned it on. Wow, the entire fuse lit up from the inside like a billboard - the entire shape of the fuse was glowing blue and was very easy to see.

My Stuntman is too small and light (and precious! they don't make them any more, and at the moment it's my favourite plane) to install LED's on and fly at night. However I am wondering if this is not *the* way to go for night flight - build a hollow Depron fuse and wing, put LED's on the inside, and you'll end up with essentially a flying neon sign.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:47 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I agree..the most effective way to illuminate one r/c craft with LEDS is if it has a hollow fuselage...and the LEDS can be placed in there..did that with my t-hawk...with that said...still gave up on night flying..as the mosquitos are to bothersome../ and you cant really fly at a hi rate of speed at night...and the other thing is if you happen to crash..good luck on finding any of your electronic components that may be ejected..batteries/motor/etc...its hard enuff to find these items sometimes in the daylight..at night its nearly impossible..IMO..night flying is still an imperfect hobbie/science...so im sticking to evening flying for now..
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Sep 13, 2005, 04:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
I would imagine in the near future we may see a RTF night flyer plane offered..with LED"S prebuilt into the plane for optimum illumination..for your avearge parkflyer { 33" or more wingspan}..you may find that 4 or 5 LEDS really dont do a terrific job of making your plane fully visable..yes...you will see the lights at a certain distance...but not the whole plane..from my expireince...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:10 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Check out this video
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:21 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Dang Hawk!!!

You just made me add another thing to my project list. 90 degree retracts!!! I was mesmorized by the dang things. Yep the lights looked kewl but the blinking thing probably won't help much at night.

The one thing everyone is forgetting about night flying no matter how many LED's you put in a flying christmas tree is that the ground is not lit up at night so you'll have a fun time landing. Unfortunately this is an afterthought after all that work on LED's!!!

Jeremy at my field gave me that piece of advice.

fb

p.s. Robin- yep I thought of that afterward and thought bahh too late. What reminded me was the colors required for running a boat at nite!!! go figure.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:32 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Yah, I'm sure night flying is still in the dream stage right now. I actually liked the blinking lights when the lights were on. You probably don't see them in flight, but on the ground it's just too damn cool!

As for the 90 degree rotating retracts; they are in the hands of beta testers. The video was provided by one of the beta testers. I've been waiting for the "foam testers" to finish up so I can get some for the GWS Corsair I'm building. I finally told the guy who designed them that I'd PAY HIM to be a beta tester. Since the "foam testers" seem to have dropped off the map, he agreed to send me a set as long as I agreed to document the installation and provide a write up of how the testing went. He also wanted a $20 refundable deposit. SOLD! I should get them in about 2 weeks!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:39 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumme
the mosquitos are too bothersome..
That's what usually stops me flying my flourescent orange T-IFO at dusk (no lights on it). Flying and swatting bugs isn't that bad when it's the one's that are just annoying, but I draw the line at the little blood suckers that won't go away. I usually run out of patience before I run out of light.

Flying at dusk can be fun though, the past two evenings I've been out I've had to share my airspace with a couple of bats that were in my yard.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Sep 13, 2005, 05:47 PM
Holy Crip its a Crapple!!
Kentucky
Joined Aug 2005
129 Posts
aww pretty...
Pickle!!!! is offline Find More Posts by Pickle!!!!
Old Sep 13, 2005, 06:35 PM
Living a Dream
VA
Joined Mar 2005
1,372 Posts
HAhah Man that is SICK FB!!!! Totally Awesome looking. Like everyone else I can't wait to hear the news on how well you can see it at night. Either way who cares! it looks Great anyway!! Awesome job buddy
Xwild is offline Find More Posts by Xwild
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:32 PM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
Glow wire works well too.
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Sep 13, 2005, 09:48 PM
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
dalbert02, is that what's in the plane in your avitar? That is cool!