The infamous Lindberg Blue Devil.

Love the "hacked" searchlights.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2014, 10:23 AM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
yep ive read alot of negative reviews about the kit but so far im loving the build. I must have a soft spot for lindberg kits.

fa18skypilot is online now Find More Posts by fa18skypilot
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:52 AM
Professional Lurker
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
955 Posts
I've read all those reviews too but the kit is what it is: A semi-scale WWII Fletcher class destroyer that focuses mainly on the motorization or RC novelty of the thing. I love them and am always eager to see more. I've got one in the box waiting for assembly but I want certain things for it, some of which you have: operating searchlights, nav lights and maybe a smoker. I've made the 4-porthole bridge into a proper 5-hole and a few other mods but that's the point at which it was "back-burnered". I splurged on the Tom's Modelworks PE set for it too.

What do you have for motor(s), battery and speed control?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2014, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
Im just running two 280 motors from radio shack simple and not to over powered. I saw a guy who had a 540 motor in his it too off like a hydro plane. the ESC is a 320a 7.2v-16v Bidirectional Brushed ESC Speed Controller. Picked up some micro servos and im running the stock steering system might upgrade it later well see how she handles on the water. i have plans for a 1/48 fletcher that im going to do the smoke system in.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:00 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Feb 2011
498 Posts
Looking good !! can I ask a ? o 2 ?...What are you useing for water penitration barrier on the superstructure deck opening??(white stuff )in pic's,..pls n thx...Tim...p.s. nice Collie guard dog!!!
haxawsnavy is offline Find More Posts by haxawsnavy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by haxawsnavy; Mar 05, 2014 at 03:05 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 08:35 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,932 Posts
Nice job on the conversion. The Lindberg Blue Devil is like a rite of passage for r/c conversions. Your coamings should work well to keep the water out. I went the split deck route on my ancient Lindy Fletcher. Only the center section, including all three structures, comes off. Keep the weight low and don't sail on windy days and it's a fun boat.
And be careful what you get yourself into with the 1:48 scale Fletcher. It's too late for me, but you can still save yourself!

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:09 PM
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxawsnavy View Post
Looking good !! can I ask a ? o 2 ?...What are you useing for water penitration barrier on the superstructure deck opening??(white stuff )in pic's,..pls n thx...Tim...p.s. nice Collie guard dog!!!
Lol yeah tim im using the white plastic from plastistrut its actually angle slightly so it presses against the walls of the superstructure and seals. And there are 2 dogs the white one is my deaf border collie. The brown one is my Shetland sheep dog, Both like to chase my pt boat at the lake. I also forgot to mention i have some needles that i load with a thin silicone and squeeze that between the deck and hull when the deck gets put on.
Last edited by fa18skypilot; Mar 06, 2014 at 07:15 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
Nice job on the conversion. The Lindberg Blue Devil is like a rite of passage for r/c conversions. Your coamings should work well to keep the water out. I went the split deck route on my ancient Lindy Fletcher. Only the center section, including all three structures, comes off. Keep the weight low and don't sail on windy days and it's a fun boat.
And be careful what you get yourself into with the 1:48 scale Fletcher. It's too late for me, but you can still save yourself!

Dave
Its those challengeing tasks that make us better modellers. I probably wont start the 1/48 fletcher till we get our house apartment dosnt have much room. Though i do have some plans for 1/144 bismark and other battle ships i could do. Here are some updated weathering pics.

Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:52 PM
Professional Lurker
Joined Jan 2006
955 Posts
I like the edgy rust streaks and weathering. On duty these destroyers took a beating and I've seen pics of some looking suitably haggard. Most prefer a pristine model but not me. Nice addition of the bilge keels too.

Looks like you discarded the fat blob of plastic masquerading as a radar atop the mast. That is the single most inaccurate item in the kit I think. Here's the SC-2 atop the USS Kidd's mast:

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:05 PM
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
Yes the bilge keels were the first thing i noticed this model lacked so i mocked some bigger then scale for water handling and glued them on. Ive got some fine brass mesh buried in my storage that i need to dig out and ill fabricate a radar mast.
I also prefer the beat up look of a ship that has been out to sea for awhile. It gives it more of a bad @$$ look. im also working on some toilet paper and glue to re make the canvas bags since the lindberg ones make the guns look itty bitty.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:21 PM
Professional Lurker
Joined Jan 2006
955 Posts
You are absolutely right. Weathering makes the destroyer look like it is a fighting ship and has the bruises and scars of a recent battle.

The main guns do look stubby which is why I moved the mount all the way forward in the gun houses and drilled new mounting holes. I have it to where the circular gun "shield" actually rubs against the interior of the front but it may not be enough.

Always liked this color photo:

RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2014
91 Posts
Nice find on that pic. I wish the navy still had those dungarees the new uniforms are crap.