HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:36 AM
Death Drops are awesome.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,340 Posts
More fun with the Yak tonight.

Battery was charged up about a half hour after I got to the flying field, and two guys were almost done their first. So I give em a little show. First up, was a nice vertical takeoff to about 100 feet. Then I started harriering it to the large grass space where they were standing. Did a little walk the dog around myself, keeping a nice 40 degree harrier and using the rudder to fly around myself. Up in the air again, straight down into a blender to transition to another harrier. Up about 20 feet and throw it into a knife edge into knife edge circle. full 360 degree and finish it with a hover.

Then I just start flipping and flopping it over itself for a while and finally time to land. I float it in, using up all the runway and then I threw it into a wall and pull up over a fence to give the people watching a bit of a thrill. Then I finally bring it in for a landing this time.

This thing is just too much fun.
Sabin is offline Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2014, 08:46 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,807 Posts
For some reason, when I first got the Yak, I thought I'd have to sell it because I didn't like it. Now, it's my favorite flyer! I guess I had to get used to the idea that it will do almost anything you ask it to do!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:20 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,480 Posts
I wish they'd lower the price on this little Yak.

I'd like to get a second one.

I've flown my first one to the point where it deserves a dignified retirement.

Why is this $45 more than the new UMX Pitts bipe? (I know that the Pitts doesn't include the battery and the crappy throw-away charger.....but that's not a $45 difference.....more like $5!)
pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:21 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,538 Posts
UMX YAK 54 ,,ALMOST DOING 3D (4 min 59 sec)
dalecheek1 is offline Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Jul 19, 2014, 09:41 PM
Death Drops are awesome.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,340 Posts
Look at this.

That's an APC 5.7x3. It was bolted on by using a busted GWS 5043 hub milled down and cut to length.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:21 PM
Canada, BC, Delta
Joined Feb 2013
144 Posts
E-Flite UMX Yak54 180 with AS3X

Found out why my yak was screaming like a pig stuck in the fence
I was amassed it still flew 2 or 3 flights before I discovered it and one short flight after I noticed the prop pulled itself out a couple millimetres with WOT holding it in hand
Kryton is offline Find More Posts by Kryton
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:33 PM
Canada, BC, Delta
Joined Feb 2013
144 Posts
E-Flite UMX Yak54 180 with AS3X

Deleted
Last edited by Kryton; Jul 20, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 04:21 PM
Death Drops are awesome.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
Found out why my yak was screaming like a pig stuck in the fence
I was amassed it still flew 2 or 3 flights before I discovered it and one short flight after I noticed the prop pulled itself out a couple millimetres with WOT holding it in hand
found that out on mine aswell. though i gave it a tug with the prop off. it's because they didn't glue in the bearings.

so in order to fix it, i used a droplet (and i stress droplet) of green loctite. any more and you can kiss your bearings goodbye.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2014, 07:39 PM
Canada, BC, Delta
Joined Feb 2013
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
found that out on mine aswell. though i gave it a tug with the prop off. it's because they didn't glue in the bearings.

so in order to fix it, i used a droplet (and i stress droplet) of green loctite. any more and you can kiss your bearings goodbye.

I checked a couple 2500 kv motors I have and would have to physically/ mechanically break them apart
And my old eyes don't do droplets any more so I'll swap it out for a 3000 kv I have in the parts bin