Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2013, 08:54 AM
Portugal, Faro District, Almancil
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
I can say that this is a well worthwhile buy, i have almost 40 fpv flights with my f550 with no problem at all, very stable, and the updates are coming along nicely. i experienced one strange thing yesterday, normally rth takes around 10 seconds to initiate gain altitude then start rth , yesterday it took around 20 seconds to initiate! maybe it dropped a satellite at that point dont know, but it scared me a bit lol, one thing i like is that if you activate rth with a slight crosswind , you can actually see the curved path to rth point, it works like a charm, i have it position hold within half a meter sometimes less in good conditions, cant complain at all. anyone tried autoland yet?
MAT1978 is offline Find More Posts by MAT1978
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
Tel Aviv-Yafo Sde Dov, Israel
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
I fully agree with you, Mat.

I have used the dos in many Fpv flights and it works great. Sometimes there is some toilet bowl effect that can be resolved by changing the electric components positions.

I also noticed that sometimes it takes the quad over 30 secends to climb and start flying home. It can be seen in the last video I posted.

I also did not update to the latest version, do not see the need.
oded mazor is offline Find More Posts by oded mazor
Old Jul 13, 2013, 02:40 PM
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
I'm in the unites states, but I'm from Italy is that okay?
Btw the flight controller is very nice, I flew at 8000 to 10000 feet not problem at all. Position old is good, I flew in a lot of wind, didn't try rth yet
Biricchino is offline Find More Posts by Biricchino
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:26 AM
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Just made a quick video of hover hold , works very well , still needs tweaking lol

Fy-Dos position hold (0 min 26 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
please notice that FEY TECH recommend doing the compass calibration in the air:
lift off at stab mode - rotate 360 degrees about 8 times (yaw) - land and do the gyro/compass calibration procedure (6 times switching from att to hover mode until the white light is solid). now the compass is calibrated and no need to return on that action.
suppose to solve the toilet bowl effect that sometimes occur.

does anyone knows if the gimbal can be controlled by the Tx, or does it only stabilize the camera ?

my quad flies great with the Dos, only thing I haven't dialed in is when fast descending (vertical descend), there is a lot of wobble. which PID should I change from your experience ?

Oded.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Hi oded are you descending vertically or at a slight angle? only asking because it is very difficult to hold a fast stable decent because of prop wash, if you descend at a slight curve you can eliminate prop wash considerably, just the nature of a multirotor, not sure if pids can dial that out.

regarding compass calibration, i was under the impression that it can only be done before arming the dos? ie before stick combination, so if i was to do it in the air, how would i then land and do gyro reset ? or does this feature come with new fw update. either way it makes sense tnks
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT1978 View Post
regarding compass calibration, i was under the impression that it can only be done before arming the dos? ie before stick combination, so if i was to do it in the air, how would i then land and do gyro reset ? or does this feature come with new fw update. either way it makes sense tnks
that's a good point. since we haven't upgraded to the new version, I am not sure what to say. however, the white light do come on even after the stick combination, so I am not sure if it means that the compass is calibrated or not.

wobble only at vetical descent, I do try to give it some angle which helps a lot. I suppose that just the nature of multicopters.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 03:47 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
got a reply from FY regarding the compass calibration. apparently, the automatic compass calibration (in the air) is only in the latest version which some of us did not upgrade to.

they are working on improving the verical descend wobble issue, but that's a problem of all multicopters, non related to the board itself.

FY have great support.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:27 AM
israel
Joined Jun 2003
857 Posts
Correct, wobble issue is well known phenomena for muticopter. regarding to the new compass calibration during flight, I think that it too risky because of the "flyaway" incident that happened on other multicopter. from reading much info i think that it better to make it on the ground to be on the safe side. I hope FY aware to this issue.
moti is online now Find More Posts by moti
Old Jul 17, 2013, 01:45 PM
El Space Cowboy
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Dec 2012
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oded mazor View Post
quad flies great with the Dos, only thing I haven't dialed in is when fast descending (vertical descend), there is a lot of wobble. which PID should I change from your experience ?

Oded.
Oded,
Learned this trick from multiwiicopter.com. Trim your motors up on the ground to spin a little faster than idle, when you zero you're throttle on your Tx, your motors should still be running. You should also hear that you have some vestigial control, even at this low setting(you should hear the motors spool up when pushing your sticks fwd/bkwd/lft/rt).

Now for the fun part, get some altitude then cut the throttle to zero. You'll fall like a light stone but you will still have control on the way down.

This move is essentially autorotation, i.e.. . the air is moving up through your blades from the ground up, not the other way around, as is normal is typical flight. A fast decent, under power, as the others have commented, means you're essentially flying through prop wash, or trying to descend through/on top of this massive pillow of air. Your quad can't get through it without turbulence since the air is 'dirty'.

It should be noted, they fellow who owns multiwiicopter is an actual helo pilot. Meaning, he knows a thing or two about flying.

Try it. You'll dig it. It also produces a dramatic effect if you're shooting video. You'll notice an absence of jello if you're rig is vibe prone. Juz70 uses this move all the time to great effect.

Be careful that you don't perform zero throttle without trimming up your throttle first. You will likely crash if you go actual zero throttle and your motors don't spin because they are now off (which I'm sure you're aware of lol).

Alternatively, you could assign a slightly higher value for your idle. That way, even at zero throttle, you're still moving air. That's how I've got mine set up. I'm also on an aux switch for 'on'. I don't use the yaw to turn my motors on any more.

Try this LOS before attempting FPV

Happy flying and thank you for all the great vids!
austntexan is online now Find More Posts by austntexan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by austntexan; Jul 17, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
Thanks for the tip. these manouvers require guts. I'll try doing them and see how it works. should be interesting...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:02 AM
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
MOTI What fly away incident are you referring too? i had a similar incident yesterday while in rth mode, luckily i managed to switch to stable mode before things got really nasty
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:44 AM
israel
Joined Jun 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT1978 View Post
MOTI What fly away incident are you referring too? i had a similar incident yesterday while in rth mode, luckily i managed to switch to stable mode before things got really nasty
I read in the naza forum people have flyaway incident and they related it to bad compass calibration, after recalibration it disappear....so far..,so I think that compass calibration is very important issue.on my APM 2.5 I had some compass problem that solved by instal the compass on a 3" long pol.
moti is online now Find More Posts by moti
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Apr 1999
1,877 Posts
could not resist and tested today the new 2.22 firmware.

positive - everything works well !

I liked the most the auto calibraion in the air. I took off, made few 360 degrees turns, landed and calibrated the compass (switch 6 times...), and from that moment on the quad kept its GPS hover position very well. no more toilet bowl effect.

Auto landing works well and the quad landed on the same spot and shut off the motors. I actually don't see the need for this feature, but for those interested (especially NAZA guys), it works.

flying in Hover mode is different because the throttle stick control the speed of the quad and not its angle, so you get different angles when flying into of away from the wind.

when in RTH mode, the quad turns to home, and than start flying there. it's good for FPV to see the home when you get lost.

Negative - every once in a while, when RTH is acivated, it takes the quad some time to gain altitude before flying back home. it shows in my previous video with the 2.20 firmware and still exist, not sure why.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
well done oded

not sure if i will update but, i kind of like the way it is now, if they could just do an update for the toilet bowl effect with the calibration in air i will be happy, rth works very well as it is, after a long fpv flight and your eyes are tired i use rth and let it hover above me, and then i will decide to land or not, i dont like the fact that rc input is eliminated in rth, i like rth and then looking around en route home, also acts as a very good feature for ap , if filming in a line, i fly to the beginning point and stand at end point, hit rth then i have a perfect stable shot, that still allows me to pan around