HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Discussion
RC Heli is worse than drags...

Hello all!
It's been almost a month after I got hooked to this new kind of addiction, yeah, RC Heli!!! I got an M120D01 with Bell head from WOW, just because "carbon fiber stack frame" looked so cool to me even I knew it's a wet carbon sheets.

My first RC experience was a car when TAMIYA was selling Grasshopper, Baggy Champ, Hornet...etc, when a speed controller would burn itself if I wasn't going wide-open-throttle and batteries were Ni-Cd, 7.2V, a small brick which I could hurt someone with it. And I had to fight for a red flag on my Tx with my buddies...

Now, some of you know how old I am, oh well, experiencing all the advanced RC systems, Lipo, 2.4Ghz, ESC, BL motor...etc, was just more than getting high on some entertaining medicines!!! After a month passed, I managed to hover in all directions with some broken parts, then to some figure 8 flight, so I switched to CP rotor head a few days ago. It was a blast!!! To be honest, it was very scary. I set up my Tx with Mr. Tom Z's setting from this forum, but some mechanical setting wasn't right, so that the heli was shaking side to side but I managed to hover, then I turned D/R switch on, after that the heli didn't respond quick enough and kissed a wall. When the blades were exploding, it was another blast. The little heli is a killing machine, two sets of CP blade gone in two days. I had to go back to a bell head again, however, it is just not exciting enough anymore. I totally got hooked to this hobby worse than anything I ever got into. All parts are not that expensive, but to keep it flying, it adds up more and more but now I can't stop doing/flying.
Well, well, well, I'm glad to know an old dog can still learn new tricks

Thanks for all those posts I learned so much from here.
MZO
turbomonkey is offline Find More Posts by turbomonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:11 PM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
And you're point is?

Sorry, I had to rub it in a bit. I have been at this for a year now and have a room full of copters, quads, transmitters, and parts. I just ordered a MCPX-v2 and a couple of batteries.
But this isn't as bad as my other hobby. Guitars. My entire collection of birds hasn't cost me more than a couple of Fenders would.
Fun, huh?
LOSTVENTURE is offline Find More Posts by LOSTVENTURE
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
My Point is...
I couldn't even spell "drugs."

Well, guitars are much much more durable than those helis, aren't they?
I've seen Yngwie Malmsteen could fly his guitar 20ft to his guitar tech!!!
but his guitar tech never make mistakes like I do with my heli.

I'm pretty happy I found this hobby much easier/more available than it used to be,
I enjoy fixing it as much as flying, too.

Happy flying all!!!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:25 PM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,136 Posts
Me too.
I'm addicted.
Flying a 450 size up to 300 Ft. and coming down at 70 mph for a high speed pass and inverted.. was
totally worth the year of pain & learning that it took me.
Started in the kitchen on a 4CH coaxial ESKY Hunter at the beginning of 2012.
My work & business have suffered a bit because I'm so interested in flying all the time.
I need rehab.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yard Work
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:58 PM
HELLA-COPTER
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
For the most part, helis are cheaper than drag cars too.......
pressurerat is offline Find More Posts by pressurerat
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:13 PM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
500 Posts
and wives
Cannafish is online now Find More Posts by Cannafish
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Have you read "Zen and art of motorcycle maintenance" ?

I remember in a book there was a line said, "a Japanese bicycle needs zen state of mind to assemble all the parts."

When I was fixing my micro Walkea heli, well, getting old & my eyesight is not as sharp as it used to be, it requires "Zen master's state of mind.!!!" I love it but sometimes I don't even know my screw driver is in the groove of the tiny screw head. Man, i do need a nice pair of reading glass or that fancy magnifying head-set.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:11 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,353 Posts
I use 4X reading glasses from WalMart. They work great!
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14