Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, MO, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
Perhaps the smoke system would be the most visially appealling for the crowds at 1000'+
instead of dropping scrap parts perhaps a bag of flour...or the tube full or full-ish. no air can get into tube. when "kill" is registered however you would like to score a servo coule open side flaps in the plane to release the flour and creating a puff/smoke trail wouldnt last long could be less expense than smoke unit...idk.
with the FPV/racing type scenerio i am thinking there would be multiple monitors throughout the race to show as the racers pass by the rings. the cockpit views of all pilots.
with about 5-8 stationary cameras 6 cockpit cameras and 1 or 2 aerial cameras on planes just to watch the race. there is lots of room for editing to make this a very appealing sport. downside is after its all edited then you have to gfet it to the audience. hmm...
this is all way down the line for what im thinking. at first i want 2 planes running a race thru hoops flown with fpv. one front and one aft camera on each craft. perhaps 2 stationary cameras.
once i can see if this is a workable option with the fpv and how well someone can fly like that. then i will move onto adding the sonic/laser modules
RDIII is offline Find More Posts by RDIII
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
thats a fantastic set up your talking about Ctrout. i would love to see this.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:13 PM
Waiting for the paint to dry.
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
As we get this all working I post most of it in this site. http://www.air-rc.com/forum/pg/topic...tion/index.php

Many things are missing from the build log but they will be added as we go.
If you would like to see how things are going drop in ever few months, its moving along a little at a time.
Trout
ctrout is offline Find More Posts by ctrout
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
I wanna come and join the Ctrout Circus!
are you highering?
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:18 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
LOL
Maybe later hehe.
Last edited by ctrout; Dec 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:00 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
A thruth.... It cant be true, its not made in china.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
those look spectacular!
i went to the link and have been reading along and admiring your work. this is fantastic.
have you set up a build log here on RCGroups?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
It's not much good as build thread when I leave out so much of the vital info, The build thread in the other area is more for the few that are waiting to see when we get everything done.
When it’s ready, we will show the relationship of each section and a new build thread will help others doing this type of thing.
Most think its a lot of BS without building and flying a designed plane built for this.
Its just as good to leave them alone by not posting.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
I gotcha...leaving the details till after its complete...i like it.
its superb thought/construction/follow thru
*high five Ctrout*
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:41 AM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Maybe helpful

If you have another pilot to fly with maybe this will help make a combat style setup look very cool.
We use cardboard tube within the fuse to hold the ribbons, very thin cut strips of reflection tape stuck to a party type paper ribbon in 1”stripes - 6’ or more long “with the light”. We use a fishing type spinner to keep the ribbon from spinning all the way back up to the plane. And trays in the wings to hold the same type of spinner- ribbons. Pop the trays off in the fight so you don’t lose them with an extra channel on the radio. It’s a lot of work for a pilot eject chute without starting from scratch building everything. Talcum powder bags get stuck if you don’t flip the plane over; we can’t see the bloom of smoke within the video because it happens very quickly. Anything leaving the plane was a blip and it’s gone. The more added to the plane that stays with the plane the more it will tug at the CG as they are released. “I have had plane go straight in after everything was released doing what I can to max out the effect”.
Good Hunting!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
Hey guys. Just noticed this thread. Spend moost of my time in the scratch built section. But my friends and I did used to play a lot of laser tag. Thought I could give some info from that side of things since we used to modify the guns and make custom set ups.

We used to use the "Laser Challenge" brand system. It was cheap and worked well eenough, but day time did cause problems, so we played mostly on full moons. lighting conditions aside, I took and modified 7 Nintendo Zappers to hold the circuitry and a couple extra lenses from the stock laser challenge guns. Weapons had about a foot ball field of range with about a 10 degree "cone" of fire. Some spread but not a lot.

The weapons circuit was about 1" x 2.5" in size and needed 3v to run. The vests where a little larger. about 2" square. Each vest also had front and back sensors to register hits. 10 hit count, when you got hit 9 times it would set off a siren letting you know you where almost dead. there was also a "reset" to reset the vests. 3v operation of the vests, just like the guns.

Artificial lighting was never an issue with the system, so indoor this system was fine.

Sugestion on the "smoke", instead of flour or talcom powder, both of whiich are white, what about useing the chalk refils for snap lines? you should be able to get it at any hardware store and ive seen multiple colors.
OutcastZeroOne is online now Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:18 PM
Walking with the Lord
United States, OH, Tipp City
Joined Apr 2012
312 Posts
I'm testing an on-board laser receiver unit integrated with an iPhone app for recording hits. It does require a $150 laser to be installed as well which isn't so economical, but results of our system are favorable so far.

This could change the RC world if another form of flight purpose is introduced to those tired of just flying around.

Given FCC and FAA regulations, I suspect we may be ready by end of the next flight season.

I'll keep you all posted.
GravyBones is offline Find More Posts by GravyBones
Old Jan 02, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
KEEP UP THE RESEARCH!

woohoo!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 06:22 PM
Pasadena Maryland
Joined Oct 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyBones View Post
I'm testing an on-board laser receiver unit integrated with an iPhone app for recording hits. It does require a $150 laser to be installed as well which isn't so economical, but results of our system are favorable so far.

This could change the RC world if another form of flight purpose is introduced to those tired of just flying around.

Given FCC and FAA regulations, I suspect we may be ready by end of the next flight season.

I'll keep you all posted.
As FPV is used more for this type of flying I hope we will see more ideas brought to video.
Best of luck in testing.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:09 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,328 Posts
I know you where toying with the idea of useing multiple cameras to get a wide feild of view, but heres a dumb question from a n00b. Could you use a wide "fisheye" lense and then have a goggle set that wrapped around the eye? Kind of like a goggle version of IMAX.
OutcastZeroOne is online now Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne