Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Aug 2012
443 Posts
Discussion
OS 46 FX Engine Tuning Problems

I am new to glo engine planes and picked up a Nexstar from a co worker who never even flew it. It has been flow before he purchased it. I can get it to start up and seem to have gotten the high speed throttle tuned in. I dont have a tachometer, but it sounds great. I can bring it back to idle and seems ok, but if I 'blip' the throttle real quick, it does seem to stumble. It will eventually clear out and get up to speed. I am running brand new 10% fuel and a brand new #8 glo plug. The manual says the start point for the mixture screw is 1.5 turns out. To me, it seems like this is a rich bog and I try to lean out the mixture screw, but that doesnt really seem to do a whole lot. Then I tried to go the other way and again, didnt seem to make too much of a difference. Also, the manual said that I should see 'smoke' coming out of the exhaust. I really dont see much smoke, but do get quite a bit of wet fuel coming out of the exhaust. Is that normal ?

Scratching my head here...any suggestions?
arik434 is offline Find More Posts by arik434
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,130 Posts
It sounds rich, if it were too lean it would die when you advance the throttle. Let it idle for a minute, if it slows down the low end mixture is too rich. If the fuel is synthetic oil you might not see much smoke, I don't really notice smoke until it's in the air.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:11 AM
use the 4s luke, use the 4s...
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Sep 2012
850 Posts
Turn the low end (the screw inside of the throttle arm) in 1/8 of a turn at a time until you can snap the throttle up after a minute or so of slow idle. Once you get that hit the high speed. So full throttle turn it till it starts to slow, deeper sounding etc then back 1/4 of a turn. (1/8 would probably do but 1/4 will give you some room since you are new to it) you will soon pick up the sound of when it reaches peak. I didnt think so but after about a half dozen times i picked it up.
scrub monkey is offline Find More Posts by scrub monkey
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:05 AM
Hutch
United States, Mt, Bozeman
Joined Jan 2012
309 Posts
Definitely the low speed needle (assuming the high is set correct). It is a pain to get at, but you will notice that the raw fuel being spit out will decrease a ton when you lean that baby out.

You should be seeing a little smoke on the top end, which means you will be running a little on the rich side for the high speed.
hutchinstuff is offline Find More Posts by hutchinstuff