HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:27 AM
Joined Feb 2011
57 Posts
Eddy, The pin must be fully inserted into the elevator tube to assure correct throw.............. From - http://www.f3j.com/perfection/instru...tions_text.pdf

Anthony.
esloted is online now Find More Posts by esloted
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:20 AM
Australia, WA, Capel
Joined Dec 2009
152 Posts
Cheers Anthony
check it still getting stuck
f3f-f3b is offline Find More Posts by f3f-f3b
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:55 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,109 Posts
Rudder / Elevator Sticking

D,

On the elevator, I found that I needed to open up the slot towards the back of were the tube comes out for the pin to slide into. The tube was binding with the back of the slot. Others have said this was not necessary but it was on mine and now it works perfectly. As for the Rudder, I am sure it is binding on something just not sure what. My rudder worked great right out of the box.You might want to try and peek inside and see if the snake tube is too long and and you are bottoming out on it with the ball link.

See Ya,

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by f3f-f3b View Post
Hi All
My Perfection Is here,
rudder throw left 30mm
Rudder throw right 8mm & then gets stuck l have same problem with the
Elevator as well lots of down throw & hardly any up before it gets stuck to.
Any help will be much appreciated
Cheers Eddy
pmccleave is offline Find More Posts by pmccleave
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:00 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,109 Posts
Rudder Throw

Tom,

I have not seen a reason to have more on mine so far. The rudder seems very effective and I have taken most of my Aileron Rudder Coupling out except in launch and landing modes. I had a great day of practice with mine yesterday working on line landings preparing for the TNT and found that it steers down the line very well with the rudder. I now have about 3 hours of flight time and probably shot 20 landings with it yesterday working off my short zip start and never once wished for more rudder authority..

See Ya,

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewatson View Post
You guys with a bit of time on the Perfection...have you found a need for more than the 30mm rudder throw Samba specifies? The ball link setup leaves a lot to be desired, and only allows ~30mm throw to the right before things start binding up.

Tom
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:31 AM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,420 Posts
Thanks Pat.
I found that slightly tapering the outboard side of the ball link shank, and dressing the inside of the exit fairing on the fuse, smooths things out and now there is ~35-40mm of easy throw. Can't imagine needing more than that with this huge rudder.

Seem to recall that the Perfect also uses this setup, so it should work fine.

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:33 PM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
288 Posts
Pike Prefection

My red/white stripe Prefection arived Friday and I managed to get some time in on it while we were getting ready for an engagement party for our youngest daughter this weekend.
The party was great and the plane is a super easy build.
I was working on the throws yesterday when I had to stop and drive family to the airport. It looks like I'll need to do a little work on the rudder linkage too.
Visalia will be my first chance to fly it, looking forward to seeing all the other Prefections and getting some trim and flight help.
Mart
mrfski is offline Find More Posts by mrfski
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
The settings in the instructions were written down very early in the testing phase and after a lot of questions on my settings (especially after WC in South Africa) I decided it was time to check what my 3 model were set up for and rewrite the instructions. The settings is a personal thing and you set up the plane like you want. All people have different ways of using the sticks and while some have long sticks in a tray the next one might want short ones on a hand held radio. But the settings should now be a good starting point for those that dont want to use too much time on setup flying.

The reason for explaining a method of setting up the flap servos is that it is too many pilots that have problems installing and using way too long horns. So a minimum of helping them was written down. With servos in neutral the arm will be about 20 degrees towards the flap. And with offset it will be straight up. This should be a decent amount of offset applied but more can be done as you have done. But not all trasmitters can do so much offset so the stated amount of offset should be easy to apply for all or most radios. Another issue is that I like my arms to be straight towards the flap when full butterfly applied. This means the load on the servo/gear is less when the flap is out when model is hiting the ground.

If you are happy with your setup there is no reason to change just because we rewrotethe instructions. Happy pilots is what Samba wants.

Regards Jojo www.jojoen.no
Webmaster at Samba but living in Norway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcglider View Post
In the process of installing wing servos in my Perfection so went to Samba's website for the latest info. I see that they have changed the suggested throws rather severely. For example, they now suggest 30mm up and 12mm down for aileron throw. Used to be 14mm/13mm. Also numerous smaller changes all around, but ailerons are a biggy. Do you guys find need for so much aileron??

They say to set up flap servos with arm about 20 degrees toward flaps and then use flap offset to get the arms back to 90 degrees to the case. Then they want you to connect the linkage with the flaps in section and the flap arms still at 90. With flaps fully retracted on mine, after setting up servos the way they suggest, my servo arms are 20 degrees or so forward of perpendicular. Seems to me that this is the proper location so that the flaps will have more range of motion to the downside.

Anyway, unless somebody here can show me why I should change things, I 'm going to leave them as I have them. I think they are wrong to suggest moving the servo to get the arm to 90 degrees before connecting the flap "in section". If I were to do that, I'd have tons of flap up when the stick is returned to flaps full up.
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdt View Post
The Perfection likes to be flown with rudder in very light conditions. Less so when the wind and airspeed picks up..
Very true Keith - my experience exactly.
Neil Jones is online now Find More Posts by Neil Jones
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:33 AM
Martin
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined May 2005
288 Posts
Pike Prefection

Got mine in the air yesterday here at Visalia. Truly a great plane, it goes up the line like it is on rails and floats as well as any. Mine is the C68 version and came in just over 72oz with a CG at 110 and the tow hook slightly forward of the recommended position.
Two comments. Check the Multiplex plug in the wings; one of mine came loose.
Also cut the aileron diff in half from what is on the set up sheet.
All in all a great plane that seems to fly very well and slow down nicely for a spot landing.
I'm using MKS servos in the wings and a JR 3421 on the elevator.
Mart
mrfski is offline Find More Posts by mrfski
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,420 Posts
So what is considered "in section" for this wing? There is no fixed reference point for the control surfaces to use in setting the servo linkages up. If I line up the inboard seam lines on the flap and wing root, there appears to be a fair bit of undercamber (about 3mm gap at the hinge line, for a straightedge across the wing bottom touching the TE and the spar area).

Tom
tewatson is offline Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:25 AM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
415 Posts
In Section

I set my servos up in reflex which is pretty easy to determine with a straight edge on the bottom skin. Add camber to your liking. The lighter models need less camber than a Carbon 80 with ballast. I generally programed 3 camber settings positive from reflex and have these on flight modes instead of a camber slider so I could adjust differential and aileron to flap mix to suit the speed of the camber setting. No differential in reflex and add diff as the camber increases.

Quote:
So what is considered "in section" for this wing? There is no fixed reference point for the control surfaces to use in setting the servo linkages up. If I line up the inboard seam lines on the flap and wing root, there appears to be a fair bit of undercamber (about 3mm gap at the hinge line, for a straightedge across the wing bottom touching the TE and the spar area).

Tom
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:41 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,453 Posts
Quote:

Tom
Take of the wing and look along side the profile and you will see what is natural. Put the wing on the fuse again and you will see this aligns well on the fuse.
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,335 Posts
Sensitive subject alert... warning, warning... ;-)

Question for you Pike Perfection pilots:

The Perfection has an articulated elevator as opposed to a full flying stab (Full flying has been previously considered optimum for nosing over at slow speed and nailing the spot). Have any of you noticed a lack of control authority trying to nose over and nail the hunski? This could show up when flaps are deployed, and the elevator is already close to full deflection due to flap to elevator mix.

Just curious.

Thanks

D
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
kdt
Joined Feb 2007
415 Posts
articulated elevator

The slow speed elevator authority has never been a hindrance for me although I don't think is is quite as good as my 3.5 Maxa with the large stab. There is a physical limit with the Perfection due to the tip of the elevator hitting the tail boom. Just enough travel for me... Keep in mind this comes from a guy that struggles with the Hunski with any model

How is the Vixen? Have you tried the larger stabs yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post

The Perfection has an articulated elevator as opposed to a full flying stab (Full flying has been previously considered optimum for nosing over at slow speed and nailing the spot). Have any of you noticed a lack of control authority trying to nose over and nail the hunski? This could show up when flaps are deployed, and the elevator is already close to full deflection due to flap to elevator mix.

Just curious.

Thanks

D
kdt is offline Find More Posts by kdt
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:47 AM
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Sep 2002
1,109 Posts
DP,

I am seeing no issue nosing over on my Perfection. I even have blemish on the nose of mine from nosing over smacking the nail at the Masters. Landing was about the only thing I did well on at the Masters. The plane reminds me a lot of the I2 in the landing zone.

See ya,

Pat

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Perkins View Post

Just curious.

Thanks

D