Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 29, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis View Post
Just got my parts for my vmx, SMR TYRES, alloy triple clamp, front and rear tyre & chain tensioners.
I cannot believe the wheels/tyres are that big, didn't thing the bike was that "huge" :0

Awesone isnt it?I thought the same thing when I first go my bike, and it's great bc the size of it allows you to ride on much larger terrain then the other small bikes. I'm going to grab some moto tires soon
Rellik is offline Find More Posts by Rellik
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2012, 11:06 AM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
I havnt got the bike yet relik haha, but when i looked at the tyres i were like ''HUGE'' haha.
i cant wait to get it!
is the bike easy to drive as i really dont get the steering?
ha im new to the 2 wheel hobby :/

Could any of you guys give me a description on the CST of an oil to use for the vmx?

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/edit-pur...roducts/365093
iv found these and there quite cheap
Kurtis is offline Find More Posts by Kurtis
Old May 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,395 Posts
Bikes are simple to ride when you get used to it.

'Flick' the steering and use the throttle to either tighten the turn or come out of the turn. Ignore the turn left on the Tx and the bike forks go right. That is how all bikes turn corners. Yes that does include the MotoGP bikes.

Name: countersteer.jpg
Views: 46
Size: 90.7 KB
Description:

Good photo from JV shows this. Bike is going into a right turn, the forks steer left to drop it into the turn.

Name: gundersen_erik.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 23.6 KB
Description:

Another one. Erik Gundersen Showing that to turn left, the bike steers right. Ignore the tail out attitude, the principle is the same

Mmmmm, Beverley. Not too far from me. Anywhere around suitable to play? Kirton in Lyndsey appears closed, shame...
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Last edited by Jonathan Bradbury; May 29, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:03 PM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Bradbury View Post
Bikes are simple to ride when you get used to it.

'Flick' the steering and use the throttle to either tighten the turn or come out of the turn. Ignore the turn left on the Tx and the bike forks go right. That is how all bikes turn corners. Yes that does include the MotoGP bikes.

Attachment 4898774

Good photo from JV shows this. Bike is going into a right turn, the forks steer left to drop it into the turn.

Mmmmm, Beverley. Not too far from me. Anywhere around suitable to play? Kirton in Lyndsey appears closed, shame...
I guess I'll learn when I get it haha and yup not too far Lol and tbh I really don't know we're anything is haha
Old May 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
My recomendation is to find a big park or wide open area with nothing To hit, and practic on grass or dirt to, you can really tear the bike and the rider up fast trying to learn on pavement.

The steering is backwards on the bike, but the same on the radio just like every other 4 wheel Rc, but just give small smooth inputs to the steering, if you jam the wheel one way or the other like you would on a 4 wheel Rc it will jam the guide wires in the group and get hung up and cause a no turnning situation and or crazy wobbles. Also set the steering duel rates, set in to about 60 ish and one to 100 this way you can get use to the steering at 60% at an open field and when you get better you can switch to %100 for mor aggressive riding. There is a steering and throttle D/R button on the controller under the wheel so you can set the D/R and switch back and forth with the push of a button real quick.

On the oil, I have good oil at home I'll send you a pic of tonight. Right now you won't need it, once you get use to the steering, you can change the stock 30wt steering shock oil to a 40-60wt oil for faster steering response ,but this will put more stress on the steering servo. (just something to keep in mind)
Old May 29, 2012, 01:33 PM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
Cheers relik I will be finding a large place to use it haha, Iv got a big grass area not to far from me
Old May 29, 2012, 04:12 PM
RC Dirt Bike Action
California central coast
Joined Feb 2010
1,738 Posts
@ Chris or any egyro experts:
Once an egyro is installed, it decouples the wheel from all the mechanics of the gyro. Aside from greater stability, I take it acceleration, throttle control, braking of back wheel will have a completely different feeling and response? What about the slipper on the spur gear, does it change behavior after rear is converted to egyro?

Just curious what to expect.
JohnnyMc is offline Find More Posts by JohnnyMc
Old May 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
UK, Brentwood, Brentwood
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
also remember to get the gyro spinning before launching the bike a couple burst.s on the throttle so you can hear every thing spinning up then give it a nice push start and some throttle and enjoy
deen247 is offline Find More Posts by deen247
Old May 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post
Once an egyro is installed, it decouples the wheel from all the mechanics of the gyro. Aside from greater stability, I take it acceleration, throttle control, braking of back wheel will have a completely different feeling and response? What about the slipper on the spur gear, does it change behavior after rear is converted to egyro?

You will get improvements across the board... Acceleration, braking, run time, stability.... everything...
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old May 29, 2012, 05:57 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,153 Posts
You can also gear taller for more top end since there isn't all that drag on the drivetrain. And the motor runs cooler because of that. This is based on my experience with my e-gyro Ricky -- no MM450 for me yet.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old May 29, 2012, 06:38 PM
never stop building
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
935 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMc View Post

Im no expert but I would reckon you need to loosen the spur slipper up a bit since its lost most of the weight and drag of the gyro?t
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Last edited by dragbikebam; May 29, 2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:22 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,314 Posts
That's correct all of those areas are improved and the feel is more instant than before. You should loosen the slipper as well.
We are getting longer run times on less of a battery pack, 20C 3200mah = 15-17min. So you guys with your 35C+ 5000mah will see times in excess of 20min I'm sure.

Also I specified the flywheel RPM before as about 15000rpm and from what I'm seeing in production so far we are at 12700rpm. Still that's really good and the bikes are very stable. The main tweaks your going to want to make are suspension and steering damper fluid.
I'll keep working on the RPM to see if we can get more out of it in production.

An update on my motor mod the Tenshock 4 pole SC motor with 3500KV is awesome. Running a 15T pinion the temps are cool even after a full pack of bashing. The only modification was to the motor plate to allow me to pass the pinion gear through. The rear wheel RPM is another 370RPM over the stock set up so the bike just rips it up. I'm using a 100A ESC on the stock battery pack.
So if any of you want to try out something more powerful than stock try something like this. Its about a 40mph set up I would guess.
Chris Nicastro is online now Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old May 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,314 Posts
Hey JB,
You can easily take a few VMX450's out on a concrete warehouse floor and flat track them. I've been running the VMX with the E-Gyro in our warehouse at full speed and its awesome! You even get wheelies while leaned over crossed up!
Chris Nicastro is online now Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old May 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
United Kingdom, Beverley
Joined May 2012
154 Posts
Hi chris,
I just want to give you a big Thanks, to you and the venom team for getting my items that I ordered off the venom site to my house promptly!
Thanks!
I cannot wait to get my VMX!
Old May 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtis View Post
Cheers relik I will be finding a large place to use it haha, Iv got a big grass area not to far from me
Couple more things, once you get the slipper adjusted put a dab or two of CA glue on the rim of the clutch cover, it comes off fairly easy, I lost 2 and it's aggravating bc if it falls off and you run without it, the sand will turn the slipper pad.

# 1 thing is do not try to pull the switch or the other plugs off the esc, they are designed to not come off, I didn't know this and tried to take it apart to clean it and it pulled the pins right out of the esc and I hade to wait. 2 1/2 months to get a new esc sent to me. It dose not say this anywhere in the book, they told me this when I called and told them what happened. Even know it took 1 1/2 months longer then I was told to get a new one, they did send me a brand new on with a program card free of charge ,so I am very happy with there customer support.

Also before you even run the bike I would put red lock tight on the grub screw that locks the pinion gear to the shaft, otherwise it will come loose, happened to me couple times. There is ppl drilling a hole all the way through the shaft and using a longer set screw to stop this, you can find the mod somewhere on here