HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2011, 04:35 AM
Joined May 2010
259 Posts
Cant wait to see how the Capt's flaps help this birdy and her super hot landings!

Any clues on maiden date yet Dick?

John
johnUK66 is offline Find More Posts by johnUK66
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2011, 02:22 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccanaut View Post
Just a word on those engine mounts....no matter how tight u think u have ur engine bolts fastened, check them after each of ur first few flights. I'm known for stripping threads from overtightening everything i put together, so i was surprised at how loose those engine bolts had become after just one flight.
Cheers
Michael
Beautiful flight - thanks for posting and congratutions...
capteasy is offline Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old May 18, 2011, 02:31 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnUK66 View Post
Cant wait to see how the Capt's flaps help this birdy and her super hot landings!

Any clues on maiden date yet Dick?

John
John,
It's been terribly windy here, more so than ever, and I've also been waiting on some NiMh Rx batteries for my Spitty which finally showed up this morning. The cage also needs to be enlarged as well for the 5s battery plus I busted the Horiz stab again. So to answer the question I'm not sure yet. Sorry to be so non-committal but all my free time has been limited lately. I promise I'll get back to it ASAP. Don't give up on me...

Cheers all
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 04:06 PM
80's Metal....
Joined Dec 2009
3,556 Posts
We'll never give up on ya buddy! You did some amazing work... I think you should enter it in a Warbird contest.. I think it's up there in detail with the custom stuff.

Since it's such a great airframe I know you'll have a great flight. I'm surprised that 5s has become a squeeze for you, I'm about to transition down to 5s myself since the poor airframe is probably on it's last legs.. But a 5s 5000 seems to fit like a glove.
HKing_PwnsMe is offline Find More Posts by HKing_PwnsMe
Old May 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post
We'll never give up on ya buddy! You did some amazing work... I think you should enter it in a Warbird contest.. I think it's up there in detail with the custom stuff.

Since it's such a great airframe I know you'll have a great flight. I'm surprised that 5s has become a squeeze for you, I'm about to transition down to 5s myself since the poor airframe is probably on it's last legs.. But a 5s 5000 seems to fit like a glove.
Man, thanks I really appreciate that. I really want to get her in the air but so much has come up here lately I haven't even had a chance to fly anything very much. Winds have been uncooperative to say the least also.
Originally the battery tray/cage was intended for a 4s before deciding to go 5s - hoping it would be large enough, but of course it isn't. Anyway s few more considerations remain yet not to mention when it is ready, I'd prefer more suitable airspace to fly.

As a side note I added HK e-tracts and the oleo struts from RCWarbirds but gear doors may need to be set aside till I figure out how to fit them to the thicker oleos.

Anyway, I'm still trying to find time to work on her and will let you all know how it's progressing...

Keep Your RPM's Up
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2011, 07:25 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
My new wheels are thin enough and the struts retract far enough to allow for the possibility of doors, perhaps. but if you use a wheel collar that must be added. Using robart axles free up a lot more clearance. but the struts must be drilled out to allow the 3/16" axles.
mike early is offline Find More Posts by mike early
Old May 19, 2011, 01:47 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike early View Post
My new wheels are thin enough and the struts retract far enough to allow for the possibility of doors, perhaps. but if you use a wheel collar that must be added. Using robart axles free up a lot more clearance. but the struts must be drilled out to allow the 3/16" axles.
I've looked all over for some thinner scale wheels, what wheels are you using? I've even thought about makeing some from some large"O" rings.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2011, 07:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
1,438 Posts
Quote:
I've looked all over for some thinner scale wheels,
This is why we need to move the wheel well further back in the wing... A complicated procedure, but ultimately worth it I think.

Cheers,

Hugh
MerlinV is offline Find More Posts by MerlinV
Old May 19, 2011, 07:29 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I lost one of my hubcaps for my Robart wheels, so will be replacing them with these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB926&P=7
It's the closest I could find in appearance to the real spitfire wheels....
Old May 19, 2011, 08:12 AM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
I lost one of my hubcaps for my Robart wheels, so will be replacing them with these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB926&P=7
It's the closest I could find in appearance to the real spitfire wheels....
I'm using them on my .40/.60 size warbirds with no issues Mike,
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old May 19, 2011, 08:32 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
I now have them installed and they work wonderfully.

that post was from a couple weeks ago. I just reposted it without the quotes......

Quote:
Originally Posted by capteasy View Post
I've looked all over for some thinner scale wheels, what wheels are you using? I've even thought about makeing some from some large"O" rings.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKing_PwnsMe View Post

Has anyone flown their Spit on 4S...?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
HK retracts on CMP Spitfire .50 (0 min 12 sec)
Old May 21, 2011, 04:10 AM
Melbourne Australia
Joined Aug 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Odd sounding retract servos......they make funny kind of "moo" sound.
Maccanaut is offline Find More Posts by Maccanaut
Old May 21, 2011, 07:34 AM
USA, KY, Ashland
Joined Oct 2007
3,340 Posts
If the saito with the straight pipe were at full song you'd not know.