Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,739 Posts
Don't forget doll house suppliers, they have some convincing plates of food with sandwiches, etc., soft drinks,silverware, etc hopefully near your scale. They have a lot of "smalls" that fit the Sterling 63 footer very well. Your model will be a stunner for sure!! I'll bet that it would draw crowds at full scale mahogany boat regattas and shows.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:03 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Barry did you ever determine just where the water came in? Pete
Nope, never did Pete.

BTW how are things with you these days? Weather half good down there? Working on any boats lately (I loved the way your last one came out)?

Cheers, Barry
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:07 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Don't forget doll house suppliers, they have some convincing plates of food with sandwiches, etc., soft drinks,silverware, etc hopefully near your scale. They have a lot of "smalls" that fit the Sterling 63 footer very well. Your model will be a stunner for sure!! I'll bet that it would draw crowds at full scale mahogany boat regattas and shows.
You're right E-Challenged, I agree they have some amazing stuff. It's just that I wanted to do most of the stuff myself, I'm really not sure why, but it feels sometimes like an obsession.

Cheers, Barry
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:16 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Update

Darn this Arduino thing!! We were going to paint the other half yesterday evening, but we spent almost all night (well into the wee hours, again) surfing the web for Arduino & Lego things. My eldest granddaughter and I are going to start building some robotics with her Lego and another Arduino. It's time we taught her how to program a computer, not just play on it.

In any case, we did manage to finish the other side this morning (more like afternoon, really) and since the paint is still wet, we didn't take another pic of it. We think we're going to paint the undersides and edges of the Floors as well, just to make everything a little neater looking. The inside of the Engine Room needs a little touch up here & there also. We made a custom fit LiPo battery tray that sits across the Keel right behind Hull Frame H-5. (That will give me loads of room for my new Arduino and companions when they come).

'till next step ...
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:06 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Update

We finally got the other half painted and we must say, it looks a lot cleaner back there now. We should have done this years ago! Today we'll start on painting the Rear Floors undersides and edges flat black also (should have done this years ago, as well).

Here's a quick pic of the Engine Room (with most of the electronics* currently out) showing the battery box that fits nicely its over Hull Frame 6 and the Keel. It will be screwed down to facilitate removal later.

'till next step ...

* = See next post.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:35 PM
United States, CT, Wethersfield
Joined Mar 2006
1,103 Posts
Look good with the gear installed "Neat"
What size motors are you using?I don't want anything to big in my 28'Semi
Browndog is offline Find More Posts by Browndog
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:15 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Arduino

We've been surfing, reading and shopping this past week or so all about this little wonder called the Arduino. We have looked briefly at the Raspberry and other Arduinos and for now we've decided to start small and use the Uno. Thanks to the guys on this forum (Deckie, bgnome & blutoh) who brought this subject up , thanks to craig_c for getting the request for a new Forum going and thanks to everyone who has signed up to support this venture.

What we've got in mind for The Lady is perhaps too ambitious for the Arduino Uno, but we'll try it and find out.

What we've always wanted to do right from the beginning of building RC boats is have an Auto-Start, "push a button on the radio and have the boat start up". No lifting off the cabins or opening up a hatch or turning a deck fitting to throw the initial switch to fire up the RX. Have everything tested out and ready to go at home then push a button at the lake and off she goes.

Next we want Sound effects: engines starting up, run & shut down tied to the throttle, horn sound when departing, when crossing another boat's path & when docking, then we need the crew talking, owners & guests talking, background music, tv or stereo on, not just all at once, but with some intelligence.

Next we want Lighting effects: Nav lights on when its dark(er), searchlight on/off, cabin lighting on command, wheelhouse lighting when the Captain is speaking, Crew area lighting when they are speaking/working & finally "party/xmas" lights down the railings that change with the amount of outside light, or the time of year.

Finally, we'd like some Motion effects: The anchors to raise/lower when they're supposed to, the dingy davits to turn & raise/lower the boat and the bumpers to be lifted/lowered as we depart or dock.

We'd like all this to happen "automatically" or at least on my command. Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Sounds impossible!

But, maybe not. We think the Arduino may be able to make all this possible. We're going to tackle this like we did when we did this for a living; first do the Feasibility Study - can it be done? Is there hardware that can do it?, then the Detail Design - design the programming "on paper" and test the functions out to see if they do what they're designed to do, next the Coding & Testing - take the designed functions and code them then test each one out first individually then in combinations and finally the Implementation - install it in The Lady and see if it all works as promised.

Stay tuned, as they say to see if we sink or swim ... I might be nuts! Going crazy! But then
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:26 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
Look good with the gear installed "Neat"
What size motors are you using?I don't want anything to big in my 28'Semi
Hi Browndog,
I'm using brushed Graupner Speed 700 Turbos (#3308) which give 15,000 rpm at NO load and can take from 4.8 - 14.4 volts using from 20 - 30 Amps. With my two very large dia. props and my throttle set at 75% on my radio, they don't push The Lady fast at all (which makes it looks more realisitic to me).

Cheers, Barry
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:46 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,498 Posts
Barry, what is the weight of the model loaded ?
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:29 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Barry, what is the weight of the model loaded ?
With or without all the furniture?

Let's see: Empty (ie. without all the interior walls & furniture) but with batteries, motors & Esc it is 16.1 lbs roughly. But with all the furnishings it is 21.2 lbs.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Mar 2008
24 Posts
To use your favorite sayng, "holy crap" this has become your "magnificent obsession" by the time you get this all done you might not remember which buttons to push, lol Cal
Blind Bay is offline Find More Posts by Blind Bay
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:45 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Bay View Post
To use your favorite sayng, "holy crap" this has become your "magnificent obsession" by the time you get this all done you might not remember which buttons to push, lol Cal
Hi Cal,
Well you certainly make a point, I hope we can actually do what I'm dreaming of. I think it can be done and from what I've seen so far the programming doesn't look too difficult at all. I'm pretty sure the hardware is all there, the only thing I'm worried about is whether the Arduino can actually handle all the processing. It's a whole lot simpler than anything I've ever worked on.

Anyway, we shall see, Cheers Barry
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:03 AM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Hey Blind Bay we need your vote on the Arduino forum request.

Thanks, Barry
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:58 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
all things should be possible Barry, you might need to step up on AtMega boards for all the out puts you may want to use, but the code is the same, and you should be able to do whatever you want
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:28 PM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicBoats View Post
Next we want Sound effects: engines starting up, run & shut down tied to the throttle, horn sound when departing, when crossing another boat's path & when docking, then we need the crew talking, owners & guests talking, background music, tv or stereo on, not just all at once, but with some intelligence.
Hi Barry,
I have been working the last two days on a sound effects system. This is one of my main objectives in creating my "in boat system", along with many of the other features you mention, and will work very much the way you describe. I have written some code to test a sound mixer package (8 channel poyphonic) and it works quite well. As soon as we have the new forum, I will post all of the details and the code. I hope to do a "community build thread" on this for anyone who wants to participitate. It's R Pi based, due to the built in sound card. However, the complete "in boat" system I have in mind will probably require both a Pi and an Arduino. Hope you will join us.

BTW, the official poll has been posted, please cast you vote:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826190

Regards,
Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh