SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Which type of combat do you prefer?
One design (same plane shape/size) with common and battery) 1 4.35%
Similiar planes (Kens single motor combat planes) and common motor and battery. 14 60.87%
No limits except battery size (900 mAh 2S) 3 13.04%
Anything that flies....no limits 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 09:04 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,508 Posts
Excellent! Living in a place unfit for human habitation has its compensations.
I've been thinking about that 'floating in the cold air' thing.
It's obvious that the greater air density will have a beneficial effect, but I'm thinking there may be another factor.
As I understand it, the snow will be at 0 C and gets no colder.
In this case the air temperature was -10 C.
It seems to me that a 10 degree difference would be enough to cause convection air currents. These may be strong enough to promote 'float.'
Note: My interest is only in the theory. I have no intention to pursue practical testing in this area.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 05:28 AM
Flys Like A Brick
Washington, MI
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
On Thursday morning while having breakfast with Mike, Larry and Dave, the conversation turned to Jordon and if anyone had heard from him lately. He had moved to Tennessee, in part, to have milder winters.

So I sent him a text message asking how everything was. His reply was that they had been snowed in for a couple of days, but was using his time to build one of Ken's J-bug.

It was good to hear from him. Maybe we can get him to check in here with updates every so often.
Bob_B is online now Find More Posts by Bob_B
Old Today, 10:13 AM
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2012
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Excellent! Living in a place unfit for human habitation has its compensations.
I've been thinking about that 'floating in the cold air' thing.
It's obvious that the greater air density will have a beneficial effect, but I'm thinking there may be another factor.
As I understand it, the snow will be at 0 C and gets no colder.
In this case the air temperature was -10 C.
It seems to me that a 10 degree difference would be enough to cause convection air currents. These may be strong enough to promote 'float.'
Note: My interest is only in the theory. I have no intention to pursue practical testing in this area.
Clean water in liquid form can get no colder than 0 C before it turns solid (ice/snow). There is nothing stopping it getting colder (especially in Michigan), but it will remain solid.

Also, clean water in liquid form can get no hotter than 100 C before it turns to a gas (steam). There is nothing stopping it getting hotter, but it will remain a gas.

There will be slight variations due to air pressure (altitude).

Your explanation sounds more fun though...

I agree with the theory rather than practice part even if flying off snow was quite fun...

I was brought up metric like the rest of the world. Those of you still living with Fahrenheit, feet and inches will have to use google for conversion.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Last edited by nagromnewo; Today at 10:26 AM.
Old Today, 11:26 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,134 Posts
Hehe!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:21 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,134 Posts
Got my foamie fix. Beta. Learned a couple things: 1)don't go inverted when the plane is so far out you can't be sure of attitude (duh!); 2)the snow is a really forgiving surface. I managed to plow her in inverted fairly hard, and narely a scratch, broken prop or dislodged canopy. Also, as i was walking back to house, taxiing her with battery obviously down, she lifted off, but not enough speed to fly and dropped a wingtip, cartwheeling. Still no damage. Won't try this in summer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 12:51 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
2,137 Posts
Mike, you seem to have authored a new word "narely". I looked it up and it hasn't been defined yet, but to me, the meaning is obvious. You should go to the Urban Dictionary and claim it!
dbacon is online now Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Today, 01:28 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,134 Posts
I think it is actually an old word.... I pondered whether to spell it narely or nairly... Maybe I should have said gnarley?

By the way, happy birthday mr. Bacon! 39 again?
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 03:26 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
2,014 Posts
Gosh Springer, you really are an old guy if you remember narley...

Dave-
foamdave is online now Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Today, 04:42 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
2,137 Posts
Thanks Mike, a wonderful celebration was had by all, family came from Capac, Smith's Creek, Roscommon, and Toronto.
Oh, how about "nary"?
dbacon is online now Find More Posts by dbacon
Last edited by dbacon; Today at 04:49 PM.