HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2015, 06:41 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,871 Posts
Help!
Can someone recommend a Fults landing gear?

I'm looking to replace my nose gear on my Hobbistar 60. It took a good shot and bent and even though I bent it back straight, the least little bump makes it fold under now. I'd like to replace it with a Fults dual strut nose gear, but I'm not sure what size I need. I was thinking a 450 or 500, but looks like the 500 is not available on their web site and Tower no longer sells them. The plane has an OS61FX 2 stroke on the front. Thanks.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:11 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,938 Posts
The 450 would likely work Ok for you. The 500 might be a little too stiff, but it would work fine too. The "B" wire size is what fits the nose gear into the plane. Usually a hole through the motor mount. With 3/16" wire you may have to drill out the hole to fit the wire size. The dual struts use 1/8" inch wire. But there are two struts so that isn't a problem. Now the 500 size uses 7/32" inch wire for "B" and that may be a problem in some cases. But the 500 would be a much stronger. But it is heavier too.

I have several sets of Fults gear, and I like using them. I really liked the fact that I could get some replacement parts for one of my Fults nose gear after a wicked crash one day. The Fults nose gear is something that you will be using for many many years and moving it onto other planes when the time comes too. I have two planes at present that are using the Fults nose gear.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Jan 24, 2015 at 11:15 PM. Reason: typo correction
Old Jan 25, 2015, 02:17 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,871 Posts
Well, I guess the 450 will have to do as the 500 has been discontinued according to Mr. Fults. Thanks for the info. Did you know Fults is for sale? According to the web site, Mr. Fults is retiring and selling the business. I just hope it's not like so many other businesses that get bought out, only to be run into the ground and disappear.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 07:11 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,938 Posts
Yes I also hope that someone buys the business and continues it. I like their landing gear struts.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 31, 2015, 01:31 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Yes I also hope that someone buys the business and continues it. I like their landing gear struts.
+1
The Fults nose gears were life savers for trainers or any tricycle landing gear. When I first got back into R/C flying after a long hiatus, I started back with a .40 size trainer that I got in a trade for an R/C car, and my landings were a little rusty and I quickly wore out the stock nose gear so I installed a Fults nose gear strut and man that thing was bullet proof!
I hope they don't disappear into the abyss like so many other excellent companies!
I wish I had 45 grand to buy him out.

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is offline Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Old Feb 03, 2015, 01:10 PM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,604 Posts
Another option is the Sullivan Knuckle Nose Gear (scroll down). Here it is on my Hobbistar 60 (before the taildragger conversion and all the other mods) - it took a beating during training!

grosbeak is online now Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:04 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,871 Posts
I like that knuckle gear. That's pretty cool. When all was said and done, I just decided to buy the regular replacement gear for my Hobbistar. I like the Fults gear and I know it's a piece of quality equipment, but at $23.50 plus shipping, it's hard to swallow right now. The entire gear setup with wheels from Tower was $6.29 plus since it was "replacement parts" the shipping was only $1.99. I know that's comparing apples to oranges, but at least I'm back in the air. If I bend this one again beyond repair, I'll go with something else next time. I do appreciate everyone's advice!