HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2014, 04:05 AM
Australia, QLD, Chermside West
Joined Oct 2014
42 Posts
Question
Where to buy cheap foam in Australia?

Hey all!

Looking to do a park jet scratch build (F-18, Mig, etc.). Unsure of where to get foam from- besides the 60 dollar a sheet depron found around the place. Anyone know of a place on the north-side of Brisbane that sells decent quality cheap foam like the Americans use ?

May have been answered before but couldn't find much on this!

Thank you

RB
rileyb is offline Find More Posts by rileyb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2014, 02:54 PM
Just having fun
Australia, SA, Paradise
Joined Feb 2013
1,760 Posts
I'm not in Brissy but art shops like Lincraft, Riot Art and Eckerlsley's Art and Craft sell foamboard sheets. Officeworks sells some as do some Kmart stores but the sheets are a smaller size. $20 is the most you would pay but the sheet sizes are different from each location. I personally buy from Lincraft (I can't remember the sheet size)

You will not find $1 sheets anywhere, like they have in the US.

I am not aware of anywhere to find the thicker carveable foam like they use if that is what you were also looking for.
oldschoolhg is online now Find More Posts by oldschoolhg
Last edited by oldschoolhg; Nov 02, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2014, 03:36 PM
Biomass processor
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Sep 2012
2,003 Posts
These guys are based out of Caloundra if you are looking for Depron

http://www.rcfoamfly.com/

I have used the foam board (Quill) from Office Works, compared to Depron it is a PITA to work with, heavier and on $$s per sq/m twice the price.
cynr100 is offline Find More Posts by cynr100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TriCopters
Old Nov 02, 2014, 11:50 PM
Just having fun
Australia, SA, Paradise
Joined Feb 2013
1,760 Posts
If you do get it going riley, post the build here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2165336
Old Nov 03, 2014, 01:24 AM
Joined Oct 2014
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolhg View Post
I'm not in Brissy but art shops like Lincraft, Riot Art and Eckerlsley's Art and Craft sell foamboard sheets. Officeworks sells some as do some Kmart stores but the sheets are a smaller size. $20 is the most you would pay but the sheet sizes are different from each location. I personally buy from Lincraft (I can't remember the sheet size)

You will not find $1 sheets anywhere, like they have in the US.

I am not aware of anywhere to find the thicker carveable foam like they use if that is what you were also looking for.
Thanks mate, will try one of these places when I have the time.

How does the foam board perform? Understand it's gonna be heavier and harder to work with than depron but still makes a decent build? Thinking of starting with the Flite Test F-22.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 01:26 AM
Joined Oct 2014
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynr100 View Post
These guys are based out of Caloundra if you are looking for Depron

http://www.rcfoamfly.com/

I have used the foam board (Quill) from Office Works, compared to Depron it is a PITA to work with, heavier and on $$s per sq/m twice the price.
Wow best prices I've seen. Thanks!
Old Nov 03, 2014, 08:26 AM
Biomass processor
Australia, QLD, Cairns
Joined Sep 2012
2,003 Posts
If you think that's cheap try here.......

http://www.tradewarehouse.com.au/mor...de-pack20.html

The only issue is the outlay but the sheets are the right size for just about any project.
And the service is tops, 4 days Perth to Cairns plus no freight over $200 purchase.
cynr100 is offline Find More Posts by cynr100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TriCopters
Old Nov 03, 2014, 02:54 PM
Just having fun
Australia, SA, Paradise
Joined Feb 2013
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyb View Post
Thanks mate, will try one of these places when I have the time.

How does the foam board perform? Understand it's gonna be heavier and harder to work with than depron but still makes a decent build? Thinking of starting with the Flite Test F-22.
Foamboard works fine. It is different to Depron but you can do just about anything with it if you try. It has a paper outer layer on it which is not removed as easy as the US stuff.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 11:46 PM
Australia, QLD, Morningside
Joined Apr 2011
145 Posts
I was forced to ship the foam from Czech and it was still cheaper then to buy it locally.
makind is offline Find More Posts by makind
Old Nov 05, 2014, 05:03 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
180 Posts
I've tried a few things around Brisbane:
Eckersleys:
- White foamboard: expensive and heavy. I wouln't try to remove the paper either, it's a pita and leaves behind strips of paper.
- small sheets (A3 sized) of ~4mm ish closed cell foam sold as printing media. Quite similar to depron but a bit more brittle. Nice to work with, but small and exxy
Eckersleys also have small squares of blue extruded polystyrene that are ridiculously expensive (notice a theme?)

Officeworks
- Coloured foamboard: a bit cheaper, and the paper comes off easily when rolled around a broom handle. The foam is softer than depron, though, and tears and dents easily

Bunnings
I've heard tell of sheets of yellow extruded foam sold by Bunnings, but not at all stores. It's not stocked at my local (Oxley), though I've been meaning to ask if it can be ordered in

Depron is pretty well covered above, and is cheaper per square meter than the options I've mentioned above. It's also much nicer to work with. I managed to pick up some very cheaply from Micron Wings recently when they had a sale.

My choice of cheap material to work with though is foamular, a yellow extruded polystyrene foam sold by Austech in Eagle Farm. Cost around $25 for a 2400 x 600 x 25mm sheet, $45 for 2400 x 600 x 50mm when I last asked. It can be hotwired into 6mm sheets.

Other than that, I keep an eye on industrial skips, which turn up blocks of EPS from time to time.
Jim_the_Sane is offline Find More Posts by Jim_the_Sane
Old Nov 05, 2014, 06:14 PM
Joined Oct 2014
42 Posts
Thanks guys will look at a few places locally soon and hopefully get building and try out the foams for myself.

Also will keep an eye out for industrial skips next to my work as I'm sure the solar panel manufacturing place across the road will have a bit.
Old Nov 06, 2014, 06:39 PM
Joined Nov 2014
1 Posts
Hi, I am also on the northside of Brisbane, Happy to share cost in some cheap foamboard and or some depron. PM me if you find anything
MackyS13 is offline Find More Posts by MackyS13
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:33 AM
Melbourne, Eastern Sub.
Joined Sep 2004
314 Posts
Does anybody know the reason why you can only get the depron 6mm @ 125 x 80cm in the grey and not the white ? The white comes in 6mm @ 100 x 70cm ?

2mm can be in the 125 x 80.

????
ravencsr is offline Find More Posts by ravencsr
Old Nov 21, 2014, 05:38 AM
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyb View Post
Thanks guys will look at a few places locally soon and hopefully get building and try out the foams for myself.

Also will keep an eye out for industrial skips next to my work as I'm sure the solar panel manufacturing place across the road will have a bit.
Pool & Spa shops and installers also have big blocks[1/2mx1/2 & apx 1/2mx1m] of ordinary esky foam[EPS] that comes as packing.

Generally in Oz, its cheaper to buy a ready made foam plane/glider.
minirotor is offline Find More Posts by minirotor
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:49 AM
RCFoamFly
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
Go to www.rcfoamfly.com.they sell Depron and are located on the sunshine coast just north of Brisbane. They can post of pickup.
rcfoamfly is offline Find More Posts by rcfoamfly