HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2015, 01:35 PM
"Rocket Scientist"
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Prop Mod

Nice Job! Looks like OEM.

Any tips on technique? Like what grit & speed.
crosstrim is offline Find More Posts by crosstrim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mounting the Motor (part two)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2015, 08:52 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
1,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Gary View Post
kinda like this....
Exactly!
Xeric is online now Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Feb 13, 2015, 09:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
304 Posts
Naturally in a world of litigation and overpopulated by people that are apparently too stupid to live, sorry Darwin really was right, I personally would “never” recommend anyone modifying a prop but I hear that a chain saw file or two, along with a fair pile of jewelers files, a router table and or Dremel tool running a straight stone bit at low speed, accompanied by a fair pile of various abrasive papers on wooden dowels would achieve said desired effect. Rumor also has it that this takes a fair bit of time and it has been advised to proceed slowly and with caution. Furthermore it has been advised to gently "break" or round over any and all sharp edges to avoid the occurrence of stress risers. Weighing and balancing also seem to be de rigueur.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Feb 13, 2015, 09:45 AM
Theoretical balsa dust maker
United States, MI, Kalamazoo
Joined Oct 2007
2,307 Posts
Quote:
Naturally in a world of litigation and overpopulated by people that are apparently too stupid to live, sorry Darwin really was right, I personally would “never” recommend anyone modifying a prop but I hear that a chain saw file or two, along with a fair pile of jewelers files, a router table and or Dremel tool running a straight stone bit at low speed, accompanied by a fair pile of various abrasive papers on wooden dowels would achieve said desired effect. Rumor also has it that this takes a fair bit of time and it has been advised to proceed slowly and with caution. Furthermore it has been advised to gently "break" or round over any and all sharp edges to avoid the occurrence of stress risers. Weighing and balancing also seem to be de rigueur.
Ok, that was perfectly written.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Feb 13, 2015, 04:41 PM
"Rocket Scientist"
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
My Lips Are Sealed

Quote:
Naturally in a world of litigation and overpopulated by people that are apparently too stupid to live, sorry Darwin really was right, I personally would “never” recommend anyone modifying a prop

"Loose Lips Sink Ships"

Or was it "She sells seashells...."

Anyway, Thanks.

ct
crosstrim is offline Find More Posts by crosstrim
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mounting the Motor (part two)
Old Feb 17, 2015, 02:31 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
786 Posts
Greetings All:
I am progressing well learning the fine points of my new Odyssey 2.7 electric . I now have the sailplane programming going on my DX8 with the flaps on the throttle stick, thanks for your help Soren. This being my first full house glider and with a high aspect wing too boot it seems like my landing speed is too high. My flaps have good throw and I have tried crow and no crow. I have not tried flaperons with my ailerons making 2 big flaps. I am little chicken to try this as with crow, my ability to keep the wings level diminishes greatly. Would it work well if I put about 50% down on each aileron and then I would have some travel left to roll correct on landings? Or is just a fast landing plane and get used to it. I am just using this for thermal flying and not slope so the faster drop that crow gives me I really don't need or my crow is not setup right as my nose seems to drop when crow is engaged. What I really what is a slower landing speed, but if I can't get it I will just deal with it.
Thanks in advance Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is online now Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Feb 17, 2015, 03:28 PM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Greetings All:
I am progressing well learning the fine points of my new Odyssey 2.7 electric . I now have the sailplane programming going on my DX8 with the flaps on the throttle stick, thanks for your help Soren. This being my first full house glider and with a high aspect wing too boot it seems like my landing speed is too high. My flaps have good throw and I have tried crow and no crow. I have not tried flaperons with my ailerons making 2 big flaps. I am little chicken to try this as with crow, my ability to keep the wings level diminishes greatly. Would it work well if I put about 50% down on each aileron and then I would have some travel left to roll correct on landings? Or is just a fast landing plane and get used to it. I am just using this for thermal flying and not slope so the faster drop that crow gives me I really don't need or my crow is not setup right as my nose seems to drop when crow is engaged. What I really what is a slower landing speed, but if I can't get it I will just deal with it.
Thanks in advance Gary
Dont put the ailerons Down, this will give you tiptall and much much less aileron control and perhaps adverse yaw
Put them up with flaps Down, but not more than when using the ailerons the aileron going Down must go Down to neutral, then you still have plenty of aileron control
If you just want slower landingspeed without the fast sink that crow give you then just use normal flaps without the ailerons up.

I was flying my 2,2 m Foka last weekend with this set up, and it could still make a roll with full crowbrake

And set the flap to elev mix, so when using the flaps-crow then it fly the same flight path without droping or lifting the nose.

Mine is set
high 0%
75-16%
50-18%
25- 28%
low34%

But not sure that you just can use the same setings as mine on yours,
Adjust it so that it start to give Down when the flaps start moving.
I have 4 mm Down at full crow.

I would say its a slow landing plane

Odessey moments (1 min 28 sec)

Good luck
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:04 AM
Kingdom of Norway, Hedmark, Stange
Joined Aug 2014
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN View Post
I would say its a slow landing plane
Indeed, using crow the Odyssey lands at almost walking speed.
Dynabel is online now Find More Posts by Dynabel