SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by michaelJH, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 02:43 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Discussion
Green energy - Who's interested?

Hey guys,
We are always talking about RC, but I thought I'd see if there is anyone else out there interested in renuable energy. Solar, Wind, Hydro, magnetic, perpetual motion, ect. This has been my other hobby for awhile now and it is alot of fun and is quite rewarding as well!

Anyone else interested in this? Just thought I'd open a thread for chatting about electricity and so forth, and answering any questions we may run into.

EXTREME FLIGHT RC
DW Foamies
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:44 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Sure. I'm kind of into PV solar, and electric cars. Oh, and of course electric RC aircraft.

I've thought about setting myself up with a nice solar charging station, or setting one up at a local field. Too worried about it getting vandalized or stolen there though. It's at a pretty remote location, but still on a public park/preserve.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:49 PM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
I've been into the alternative energy thing for at least 30 years. I ran a little wind generator to power my hermit cabin in the early 80s, using a bunch of magnets and a multi-vane Savonius rotor. Rough, crude, but it did the job for a few years.

Also, I was working out a "perpetual" generator, using steel tube and bowling balls. There is a name for the machine... looks like a mis-shapen daisy, but it works really well with decent bearings. I have had people tell me it hasn't the necessary power, but my test model did very well, running a bike generator.

A buddy had a cabin on a river, and needed to pump water into a cistern farther up the river bank. He re-tapped the plug hole on an old 2-stroke mower motor, installed a check valve, took the carb off, then bolted a car fan to the crank. When he arrived at the cabin, he would just use a hose to throw this into the river. They never ran out of water...
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:05 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I'd like to get more into HAM radio and have a shack that can run off the grid eventually also. In all honesty it would mostly just be for fun, but still...

I do think PV solar and electric cars are progressing substantially and becoming a viable option more and more though.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Awesome. Your perpetual generator sounds interesting. I have been looking at the "free eco power generator" that has been going all over the internet, but I can't figure out how it could work, unless they have some new technology that I have never heard of before. I am wary of websites like that, being that I have done all the Tesla generator's and they don't work nearly as advertised, if at all.
Do you have a picture, or diagram of you generator? What kind of output were you getting out of it? I have made sevral perpetual motion generators before, but never got anything big enough to be worth using.

Sounds like a very inventive way of pumping water!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:19 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
I'd like to get more into HAM radio and have a shack that can run off the grid eventually also. In all honesty it would mostly just be for fun, but still...

I do think PV solar and electric cars are progressing substantially and becoming a viable option more and more though.
I am putting together a PV array right now, and I think it is a great source of power, but at this point, is very expencive. Building your own panels is definantly more reasonable, and is quite easy. The worst part is the battery bank!

The only thing I don't like about electric cars, is all the radiation, espetially with the battery right under the driver seat. It is very bad for your health, and causes cancer. I think the only way to stop it would be a lead blanket under the seat, but then try going up a hill

I think running your car on water (hydrogen) is great though! It is relitively cheap if you build it yourself, and can double you gas mileage.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:58 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Wait a minute...

You're not one of those "HHO" guys, are you?

And if RF noise were bad for you, I'd have been dead a long time ago, but then maybe I just have resilient DNA.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:26 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
LOL. No, I'm not one of those "HHO" guys. I try to be concious about my surroundings and how I treat my body though
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:29 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,089 Posts
Im down, love all things GREEN. One of the reasons I dislike living here in NYC. Such an old city it is very inefficient and un-GREEN. They can try to modernize and get GREEN -er but it will never be up to the standards of such cities such as Portland OR. (which is where I'd like to move to someday)
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:14 PM
Team Extreme!
Wa, state
Joined Oct 2009
1,166 Posts
Yeah, it is pretty hard to get efficient with some of the older houses. If I don't skimp on somthing, its good insulation. In fact, I just converted a chest freezer to a fridge and replaced one of my stand-up refrigerators. The chest freezers have much better insulation and seals, and also, being that cold air is heavier than warmer air, when I open the fridge, all the cold doesn't fall out I went from using 2.4Kwh per day, to .5Kwh per day. Very worth the work.

If you ever do end up in Portland, you'll have to come fly with me!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:27 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,089 Posts
Def. worth the work, that is great.

Trust me, I will be getting in touch with you if I ever make it out there.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0