New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2001, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by bobandris
LSF 004 - AMA 5055
United States, CA, Saratoga
Joined Dec 2000
613 Posts

I have a Wipa "Firecat" which is a 33 in span, 32 oz weight, JETI "Phasor" 15-4 brushless powered full-house ARF from the Czech Republic, handled in the US by Hobby Lobby. I've got about 20 flights of 5 min on it. Also, quite a few repairs, mainly caused by it being a little more than I can handle on landings. Fast is the operative word!

I decided to set my JR XF421EX (6 ch - 3 model) system up for flaperons to be used to slow it down a little on landings. Years ago I flew "split" flaps on a 10 ft sailplane; and what I remember is them slowing it down nicely AND for god's sake be ready with DOWN elevator to preclude stalling.

The Firecat has full-span tapered ailerons for which I had set the servo arms (0.28in) and elevator horns(1.06in) to produce + and - 10 deg of throw. Next I removed the two servos from a "Y" harness into the aileron channel and plugged one servo into the aileron channel and the other into the "gear" channel. With the 2-position gear switch in one position both ailerons were fully up (about +10 deg) and with the switch in the opposite position both ailerons were fully down (about -10 deg).

Since this was not the desired configuration, I first set the gear switch to get both ailerons fully up. Then I removed both aileron servo arms, rotated them to get the ailerons back to their neutral positions (0 deg) and then reinstalled them. Now the "gear" switch produces 0 deg in one position and -20 deg in the other for both ailerons.

The problem I've noticed is that the aileron action is now different. At 0 deg flaps I get about 2 deg up and 14 deg down. With the flaps at -20 deg I get about 8 deg up and 10 deg down.

If anyone who has done this successfully could point out either errors I've made or steps I left out (or both) I would deeply appreciate it. As you can guess, I would really like to get 0 deg to -20 deg for flap action; and + and - 10 deg for aileron action anywhere over the flaps' range.

bobandris is offline Find More Posts by bobandris
to remove ads between posts