HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:21 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
My 100% F-22 is now done and weighs about 16.5oz with no battery, I'd fly it up to 22oz and it should still be fine. I'll up-load photos as soon as I've cleaned it up and let the last of the glue settle. It looks pretty cool and can only look better in the air, the full fuse was really quick and easy and adds so much of that unique raptor character to the plane.

I'll be back...
Glider-man is offline Find More Posts by Glider-man
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 09:36 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider-man View Post
My 100% F-22 is now done and weighs about 16.5oz with no battery, I'd fly it up to 22oz and it should still be fine. I'll up-load photos as soon as I've cleaned it up and let the last of the glue settle. It looks pretty cool and can only look better in the air, the full fuse was really quick and easy and adds so much of that unique raptor character to the plane.

I'll be back...
Hurry up and get the photos online!!!
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:59 PM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Got to finish the F-22. Test flew it in strong winds & it's intact.
Using 2800kv on 6x4, 1000mah 2s 30c, 20amp esc, hxt500's. It flew fairly well when the winds was not throwing it around. Waiting for a calm day to test it with a 4.75x4.75.

Thank you Tomhe.

batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:01 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
very nice duo, soon to be trio!
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:02 AM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
A New F-22...

Well it's done - almost, I still have to put a strip of covering where the wing meets the belly and tape the hinges, then I'm ready to go... as long as these high winds that have been here for the last two weeks go away (gale-force! )

So just a brief word on what I've done... I used the 100% plans as a base for the f-22 I then drew a couple of formers that were all right angled triangles and sheeted the fuselage with 3mm depron, the nose tip is solid balsa (and 2cm longer than it should be! ) and to get a nice curve for where the sheeting meets I cut of excess sheeting flush with the profile then glued a strip of 2mm balsa on and that sands really well as well as making the nose strong and transferring any bumps along the outside of the nose up to the wing.
The Rest of the plane is made from EPP off cuts that I sanded down to 8mm in thickness and most surfaces are rounded at the front and sharpened at the back along with everything neatly tucked away inside the belly of the beast. I intend to use it mainly for fast flying so this all done to increase top speed but I still tried to keep it light enough to float to a soft landing. Of course though having the electronics all neat inside doesnít do much for drag reduction as the air is still flowing through the intakes but it just looks nice and streamlined (intimidating! ).
Now the programming - I have got ailerons as well as the standard elevons that all have their own servo so I decided to program in spolierons and ailerons that run off the aileron stick and gear switch. I then put the elevons on the rudder stick for fine low speed control (so I hope both rudder and aileron input will make an ultra fast roll! ) and that just leaves the elevator... Oh and don't forget the throttle, I'm using a Motrol-fly DM22-10 that tried to pull it vertical out my hand with the big battery aboard (AUW 22.5oz!)
Well thatís it for the theory I'll report back with a report on what happened in practise, I just can't wait!

In anticipation...
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:16 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
very nice duo, soon to be trio!
Thanks crazyj.

It would be soo nice if I can just go to my local mall & have a pdf plan laser cut.

It's love/hate cutting foam.

Nice work on your F22 Glider-man.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider-man View Post
Well it's done - almost, I still have to put a strip of covering where the wing meets the belly and tape the hinges, then I'm ready to go... as long as these high winds that have been here for the last two weeks go away (gale-force! )

So just a brief word on what I've done... I used the 100% plans as a base for the f-22 I then drew a couple of formers that were all right angled triangles and sheeted the fuselage with 3mm depron, the nose tip is solid balsa (and 2cm longer than it should be! ) and to get a nice curve for where the sheeting meets I cut of excess sheeting flush with the profile then glued a strip of 2mm balsa on and that sands really well as well as making the nose strong and transferring any bumps along the outside of the nose up to the wing.
The Rest of the plane is made from EPP off cuts that I sanded down to 8mm in thickness and most surfaces are rounded at the front and sharpened at the back along with everything neatly tucked away inside the belly of the beast. I intend to use it mainly for fast flying so this all done to increase top speed but I still tried to keep it light enough to float to a soft landing. Of course though having the electronics all neat inside doesnít do much for drag reduction as the air is still flowing through the intakes but it just looks nice and streamlined (intimidating! ).
Now the programming - I have got ailerons as well as the standard elevons that all have their own servo so I decided to program in spolierons and ailerons that run off the aileron stick and gear switch. I then put the elevons on the rudder stick for fine low speed control (so I hope both rudder and aileron input will make an ultra fast roll! ) and that just leaves the elevator... Oh and don't forget the throttle, I'm using a Motrol-fly DM22-10 that tried to pull it vertical out my hand with the big battery aboard (AUW 22.5oz!)
Well thatís it for the theory I'll report back with a report on what happened in practise, I just can't wait!

In anticipation...
Very cool, you guys are making me drool over my keyboard...
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:33 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,186 Posts
Nice Glider-man I like it

I think she is going to be quite fast, because she is already doing 20mph standing still.
nrg2go is online now Find More Posts by nrg2go
Old Feb 02, 2011, 02:44 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by batusaix View Post
Got to finish the F-22. Test flew it in strong winds & it's intact.
Using 2800kv on 6x4, 1000mah 2s 30c, 20amp esc, hxt500's. It flew fairly well when the winds was not throwing it around. Waiting for a calm day to test it with a 4.75x4.75.

Thank you Tomhe.
Nice batusaix, but think your going to have problems with orientation. I don't think your F22 is bright enough.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:22 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Yeah, I'd be putting some letters & numbers on the tail, & that's it. The foam was pale red, so I kinda cotton swabbed it with red marker ink diluted with alchohol. Gives the foam a red shine, looks nice in the air.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 04:23 AM
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie!
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2009
1,186 Posts
Update on 65% build

My suspicions are coming true, I didn't need to use the 50K tow nor should I have put Kevlar tissue on both sides of the main wing or bottom piece. I will now struggle to make the 170g (6oz) target. I think I'm going to be about 16g over at this stage. I will definitely make the target with number 2 aircraft and my mate says he 's happy to have the heavier one.

I still have to remove all the tabs sticking through the wing and the tabs on the bottom piece. I can't do too much more as I'm still waiting for parts delivery to finish her off.

I like to have the LiPo inside the fuse area so you can't see it. Therefore there are two things that are fixed (motor & LiPo), which leaves two things (servo's & ESC) that can assist in achieving the correct CoG. Hopefully the servo's don't need to come too far forward to achieve the correct CoG. But if they do I will use Gold-n-cable to drive the Tailerons and keep everything inside the fuse area.

So far happy with the looks and definitely happy with the strength and rigidity. What you see in the pic's weighs 105g.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:58 AM
Joined Oct 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2go View Post
Update on 65% build

My suspicions are coming true, I didn't need to use the 50K tow nor should I have put Kevlar tissue on both sides of the main wing or bottom piece. I will now struggle to make the 170g (6oz) target. I think I'm going to be about 16g over at this stage. I will definitely make the target with number 2 aircraft and my mate says he 's happy to have the heavier one.

I still have to remove all the tabs sticking through the wing and the tabs on the bottom piece. I can't do too much more as I'm still waiting for parts delivery to finish her off.

I like to have the LiPo inside the fuse area so you can't see it. Therefore there are two things that are fixed (motor & LiPo), which leaves two things (servo's & ESC) that can assist in achieving the correct CoG. Hopefully the servo's don't need to come too far forward to achieve the correct CoG. But if they do I will use Gold-n-cable to drive the Tailerons and keep everything inside the fuse area.

So far happy with the looks and definitely happy with the strength and rigidity. What you see in the pic's weighs 105g.

it looks like a tank!
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:12 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Thanks everyone... looks like today could be ideal for testing a new plane! I just hope it holds...
Old Feb 02, 2011, 12:25 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,180 Posts
batusaix - Very nice! The F-22 will be your aerobatic flier, doing all kinds of insane flips and rolls. Your F-18 will be fast, but also very maneuverable. But your Draken will be your drag racer! Mine did 78mph on two radar passes!

I have the same love/hate relationship with foam cutting. To date I have probably hand cut at least 30 models (and probably more). Now most of mine go to my local laser cutter, and I sure am glad I have him! But I will still hand cut a model if I need it right away.

nrg2go - Even at 190g you should be just fine. Most of mine are 155-170g and I have unlimited vertical and awesome performance. You should have no problems flying your mini.

Glider-man - Holy cow! (pun intended ). Nice finishing scheme, should be highly visible. I've always wanted to do Steve Shumate's full fuse F-22, but it's always seemed like a daunting build with all the parts and curves. But I may do another tomhe F-22 in a similar fashion as yours. Good luck on the maiden!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 02, 2011, 11:54 PM
RC SAPRANOS
At the field in 10...
Joined Jun 2008
524 Posts
Hahaha, thanks Pat! Well I flew it today... started with a glide test, it floated perfectly to a soft plop with no need for trim. So half throttle and a biff sent it above the trees and into a very steady and beautiful flight. It's not really that fast looking in the air probaly because it is reasonably big but also because there must be quite a bit of drag in that belly however it is exactly what I intended and it is very fun the fly around on half throttle with the occasional WOT fly-by.
I did however manage to get it locked into a spiral then it disappered behind a hill! But no damage was caused however I will be changing the way I mounted my servos - they find it easier to push themselves instead of the surface.
I think I'll be getting the RC timer motor because the 2210 doesn't give it unlimited vertical in when in the air. It has just enough to hover the plane (not enough for me )

A good plane though.
Thanks Tomhe.