Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 26, 2001, 04:36 PM
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Joined May 2001
7 Posts
Aero Cruiser Won't Take-Off

Hello,

I just tried to fly my Aero Cruiser for the first time. Hand launched it and it dove
straight to the ground. Tried it again, same result. Then tried a rolling takeoff
but the plane never lifted an inch after 30 ft.

Tested the battery when I got home and it read 8.9 Volts, even though the wrapper on the battery pack says 8.4 V. Is that a problem?

Checked the CG and it was ok.

Would have tested the amps that the motor was drawing, but don't know how to do this. Using a Radio Shack digital multi-meter I just bought. Don't know much about it either.

I assume this is a common problem, but
couldn't find a faq that addressed flight
issues.

Thanks
Steve Edwards is offline Find More Posts by Steve Edwards
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2001, 05:17 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,814 Posts
That plane should glide when you toss it, without power. Your trims must be wacko. Adjust elevator till it glides. Double check cg!! If it glides without power and dives with power, check your motor thrust angle. Also check to see that prop has writing facing forward. Also check to make sure that up elevator makes the elevator go up and not down. V on a fully charged battery should be around 1.5V per cell. When they get to 0.9V / cell they are out of juice (measured without a load)!!
It takes FULL power to launch these criters, don't try it at partial throttle.
Stay tuned. Let us know what happens
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old May 26, 2001, 07:28 PM
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Joined May 2001
7 Posts
Tossed the plane without power and it glided great. Busted a wing though. Will fix that tomorrow. Just tossed it out level, and it
reminded me that when tossing under power I was tossing at an upward angle. Maybe should've just tossed it out level?

There's no writing on the prop, but it does pull the plane forward when on the ground.
The propeller shaft appears to be horizontal when the plane is sitting on wheels/tail skid. Is that the thrust angle?, If it is,
is it the correct thrust angle?

Elevator is ok.

As for the battery, it's a 7-cell pack, NiMH.

Thanks for the help!

[This message has been edited by Steve Edwards (edited 05-26-2001).]
Old May 26, 2001, 08:49 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,814 Posts
Steve, if the prop is pointing slightly down when the plane is level to the ground, that is correct.

I launch with a dart like throw at full power. Hand above the head, draw back to the shoulder, and give it a strong LEVEL heave forward. Keep the plane level to the ground...it may even sink a bit. As it builds up speed it will climb by itself. If it doesn't, give it a "tad" of up elevator or adjust your elevator trim for a slight climb.
Battery just off charger should read about 9.8 - 10.5V The 1.2V per cell is a mid-discharge value. Could be very close to pooped out at 8.4V.

Remember, altitude is your friend, you can't get too high when learning (I'm assuming things). All crashes happen close to the ground. When you got it up pretty high...adjust your trims for straight and level or slightly climbing flight. A calm day(less than 4 mph), is really nice for the first few flights. It's hard enough setting up the trims the first time without having the wind giving you all kinds of non-pilot induced manuvers. If you're an old pilot, ignore this junk
Good luck
hoppy
Old May 27, 2001, 05:37 PM
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Joined May 2001
7 Posts
Thanks hoppy.

Soon as I get the wing fixed, will get a full charge on the batteries and try it again.

As for experience level, I'm completely new to all this, so this probably won't be my last rookie post.

Steve
Old May 27, 2001, 09:36 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,814 Posts
Steve,
We've all been there, done that....just hope you can value from the experience on the ezone. Only bad thing about it is, we don't know what questions to ask until after we screwed up. But the fixin's are available at that time. Good luck and find a BIG field to fly your plane in, makes it a lot easier....
hoppy