HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BinbinDesbois, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:27 AM
France, Rhône-Alpes, Pierrelatte
Joined Apr 2009
315 Posts
Discussion
World of Warplanes

Hey pilots !

Just wanted to share my experience with this free to play video game. I realize I'm not talking about our hobby, but this game is so nicely done and fun that it's a must to play for warbirds lovers.

It's actually in beta phase, so you need to apply to receive a key, but the final release should be soon.

There are currently 3 factions : USSR, USA and Luftwafe, Japanese should arrive next, and maybe Royal Air Force / Navy;

See this page for more informations : http://worldofwarplanes.com/

BinbinDesbois is online now Find More Posts by BinbinDesbois
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:48 AM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,385 Posts
Looks like an awesome game. Too bad I don't have a computer that is up to snuff to play it

Kman
kman24 is offline Find More Posts by kman24
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
455 Posts
First, WoWP is an arcade game, not a combat sim. It is presently in Beta, full of bugs that have yet to be addressed, constant server disconnects & failures, & truly will not be ready for any kind of release for at least 2 years with the attention that the developers are giving to remedy all the serious bugs. It's a Russian developed game which may be the reason for its lack of technical expertise to know the parameters of programming these types of combat games for true realism. I wouldn't spend a lead penny paying for an "arcade" game such as this. Don't waste your time.......
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:33 AM
Joined Apr 2009
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
First, WoWP is an arcade game, not a combat sim.
I never said it's a flight simultator. It's arcade and fun like this. Simulation would have killed the game.

Quote:
It is presently in Beta, full of bugs that have yet to be addressed, constant server disconnects & failures, & truly will not be ready for any kind of release for at least 2 years with the attention that the developers are giving to remedy all the serious bugs.
There are still few bugs but the game is in Beta, that's why Beta are for.

Quote:
It's a Russian developed game which may be the reason for its lack of technical expertise to know the parameters of programming these types of combat games for true realism.
Hey guy, the cold war has ended 20 years ago. I've rarely seen such anti-Russian talking since years. This is not a lack of programming, it's a game design choice to make the games more fun.

Quote:
I wouldn't spend a lead penny paying for an "arcade" game such as this. Don't waste your time.......
Do you know what "free to play" mean ?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:53 AM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Try Wings of Prey. Very cool game that has 3 modes, arcade, realistic, and sim. Complete with grey outs, red outs, tip stall - spins. This is a Russian designed game and I don't think it could get much more realistic. And for the WWI lovers try Rise of Flight.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:09 AM
SW PA
Joined Aug 2010
455 Posts
Hey Binbib,

1) I didn't indicate in any way YOU said it was a sim. I simply remarked to those who never experienced the game, it is an "arcade game".

2) "still a few bugs"........get real. It is laden with a multitude bugs from constant disconnects, frame lockups, CTD's, graphics that run the gamut from floating mountains, ground risings, weapons not stopping, bombs dropping off as soon as elevator is applied, water inversions, to flying thru a mountain & others. The stat application for each user is totally inaccurate as the totals are off by a minimum of 40% to as much as 60%. Tier matchups are a joke in addition. It is quite indicative that the devs are slower than death to respond to fixing these bugs, which is also indicative that their programming skills & priorities to fix are not up to par. The servers constantly fail which is another parameter not getting addressed.

3) I can only surmise that you are a Liberal to project that since it's a Russian game, my comments are prejudiced. The Cold War has nothing to do with todays' advances in computers & programming attributes to develop even an arcade game that functions properly. Any game is not fun at all when it is replete with failures.

4) It is only free to play in Beta.....it certainly won't be free to play if it ever goes online in full operation & then have to deal with "still a few bugs".

I do agree with comanch that Wings of Prey is an excellent, bug-free sim that was developed by the Russians. I have it & play it often. Rise of Flight leaves a lot to be desired IMO.
yorkiepap is offline Find More Posts by yorkiepap
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:25 AM
Joined Apr 2009
315 Posts
The way you're decribing the game and the "bugs" means you think that the fact the game is more arcade than sim, is a bug.

Still reading your sentence "It's a Russian developed game which may be the reason for its lack of technical expertise to know the parameters of programming these types of combat games for true realism" is pejorative from my point of view but may be my lack in English reading is the reason.

For your information this small Russian company has released a small game ( World of Tanks ) before that is played by few ( 40.000.000 ) players around the world. This game is also "free to play". I'm sure the developpers know what to do even if I don't aggree 100% with some of them design choices.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Binbin, if a game is constantly doing uncommanded actions, disconnecting, locking up.... it becomes frustrating/no longer fun. As Yorkiepap said Wings of Prey is a good program. Rise of Flight is difficult enough just to get set-up it almost becomes a chore/no fun. Try WoP, you can do Arcade mode and blast away to your delight or work your skill level up to - in the cockpit in sim mode for as much challenge as you wish. With no lockups or any other malfunctions = Fun.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Oct 2007
376 Posts
If you liked wings of prey, they (gaijan) also have a new game in development called war thunder. Its a free to play beta, however I have spent some $$ on additional content. I'm sure there are some bugs, but nothing like what you mentioned about WoW.
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Birds of Steel for consoles is fun too. You can either play on arcade mode or full simulator.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
30 Posts
For anyone knocking Russian flight sims,

IL-2 was so far ahead of its time, it lead the way.

Rise of Flight is the most realistic flight modeled sim out there. It is spectacular.

Please give it a go before pointing fingers at our Russian Comrades!
NeilC is offline Find More Posts by NeilC
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Apr 2009
315 Posts
Well, I'm playing WoWP since this summer. The recent release has a major bug that makes the game crash every 5/6 games. It's been adressed to developpers.

I agree I would have prefered a cockpit view for everyone, and no target highlighting. There are better games for warbird sim for sure.

What I love ( and often hate ) in WoWP is the online part because you'll never have the same game and never use the same tactic. You'll never find an AI that will fly at 100ft in a canyon. The behavior is very "human" with its fails.

It depends on what people prefer but I've learn many dog fight skills with this game and it will help me to reproduce more scale figures with my rc models.