Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:41 AM
United States, MN, Brainerd
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
Tim,
As usual, you likely have all this figured out and planned already, but thought I'd toss in some chain/deadeye ideas.
After a lot of sailing, almost all rigging has held up very well - even very small brass hooks have held up well. But broken chains have been an issue. As posted earlier, Syren has had chains pop in gusts and in a collision with Surprise. The chains seem to take a lot of stress.
The attached sketch is my latest thought on making the strongest solder joint on chains.
Also, you might consider making the two separate pieces, the wire loop around the deadeye and the top chain link, all from one piece of formed wire instead of two separate pieces. That joint is pretty much hidden by the chain rail anyway.
Also, suggest ditching the stock delrin deadeyes and get wood deadeyes for appearance (available online). The deadeyes tend to rotate over time. To prevent that, they can be CA'd to the wire hoop or, prototypically, groove the holes as shown in the pic.
Best,
Dan
DanL is offline Find More Posts by DanL
Last edited by DanL; Mar 24, 2014 at 02:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 06:09 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBowman View Post
Decided to goof around with something I wanted to try on the wales.
Also...... Should I wait to get the boat in the water to see how it floats or go ahead and paint it on and balance the boat to sit level with it after its on??
Tim
The scribed planking looks really great!

Temporarily mark the waterline per scale plans. Then mount lead keel. Place battery(ies), servo assembly, etc in approx locations. Test float. I think you will find the scale waterline is very close. Final trim will probably be a matter of sliding the battery fore/aft just a bit. I needed no internal ballast. Masts, etc didn't effect trim much. SC&H has it well balanced.

There is a heavy brass rod section used to attach the main topmast assembly. To keep the upper rig light, I substituted brass tubing. A lot lighter and works fine.

When I had brass barrel guns, that added over 2 lbs of on-deck weight. I trimmed about 1.5 lbs (if I remember right) from the front of the lead keel to compensate. Have lighter guns now, but trim is still OK.
If anything, leave the bow a bit high (only about 1/4") when hull is at rest.

Note - you will likely want to tow at some point if you sail a lot. The safest tow point I found is on the bow, just at/below the waterline. An eyebolt very securely mounted into the hull works well. ( Or a threaded insert that you can quickly screw an eyebolt into)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:45 PM
Joined Oct 2006
822 Posts
you scribed the planking ?...that must have been tricky.....
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:18 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
Thank you Dan

Want you to know your earlier words regarding the chains did not fall on deaf ears. I had the pile of ones I soldered so only wanted to see what they looked like on the hull. Will mass produce the final ones sometime soon(assuming I don't get distracted by something else on the model). : )

Vic, one thing that is affecting me more on this project then any before is my darn eyesight. For the first time in modeling, I am needing assistance to see things. Frustrating!! Cant wait for threading those blocks!! LOL

Thanks for the tip on the waterline as well, Dan. Really looking forward to getting that done. The tow eye hook has been in the back of my mind since you mentioned it on Andrews thread. Will give it some more thought before my visit to the pond.

Best regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Last edited by TBowman; Mar 25, 2014 at 05:05 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 09:39 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
Hey Tim - I know the info didn't fall on deaf ears...I just keep rethinking and tweaking details of the various suggestions and re-post.
Since I'm not building again, I vicariously "build" by following -and constantly butting-in to - your brig build.

I'm prepping info on rigging the driver boom and gaff showing how Syren full and reefed drivers are changed out. Will post that soon FYI.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2006
822 Posts
ha!..that's one of the reasons i would be reluctant to build.....eyeglasses.....i actually needed 3-4 pairs of glasses of different diopters, and trying to find them all the time was very frustrating indeed........and a funny thing i remembered was i kept forgetting to move the light over a particular work area.....i'd be working, and suddenly realized i couldn't see, and with a spurt of violence, pulled the light over....and this happened so often.............i'm sure this is such a valuable piece of info, so be sure to take notes
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:56 AM
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
Thanks Dan

Look forward to your driver post. It always amazes me how you time your informative posts so perfectly. I looked at your reefed set up a week ago and have been thing about the booms ever since.

Motor and steering will be the next big thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
and a funny thing i remembered was i kept forgetting to move the light over a particular work area.....i'd be working, and suddenly realized i couldn't see, and with a spurt of violence, pulled the light over....and this happened so often.............i'm sure this is such a valuable piece of info, so be sure to take notes
ha ha....that was me on Sunday! That is valuable info....remember to move the light over my work area.

have a great day
Tim
Old Apr 08, 2014, 08:09 AM
Joined Oct 2004
2,374 Posts
A different Scorpion...

Tim,
I've resurrected my RC sub Seawolf, built back in 2006. Have some ideas on a new ballast system, so started looking at sub models for conversion to RC. A popular model is the USS Gato, a WWII sub. Revell makes a great model. Many Gato-class subs were built, and I just found that one was named Scorpion.
Sooo....I'm now looking either at using the Revell model to do a Scorpion or a Moebus model of the nuke Skipjack. Since I have the modern nuke Seawolf already, I'm leaning toward the Scorpion.
May not build - need to do some concept testing on the ballast system first, but thought the Scorpion name was a coincidence to note.
Best,
Dan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Scorpion_%28SS-278%29
Old Apr 08, 2014, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
Hi Dan,

That is a coincidence. Very familiar with the Gato class subs. The USS Pampanito resides in San Francisco, at the Maritime Museum and have been on board a few times. a friend in the UK was building one of the 10ft RC models of it. If you need any detail reference, just ask. will be happy to get some detail photos of what ever you need. (although I'm sure you have that covered). Both those models look fantastic!

USS Pampanito

Hope to have a productive weekend this doing saturday and Sunday on my own Scorpion. : ) Spent the last one at disneyland with the kids and family friends. Just got back today.

best
Tim
Old Apr 08, 2014, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
oops...USS Pampanito is a later, Baleo Class(an improvement on the Gato class), I remember it as a Gato class. My bad.

Another cool photo
Old May 01, 2014, 11:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
AAAAAHHHH!!!! Falling behind scedule!
Old May 02, 2014, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2006
822 Posts
i still check every day....no pressure though
Old May 02, 2014, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
Thanks Vic.
Old May 11, 2014, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
415 Posts
Hi everyone

Still not much going on here but the weather is so nice, I had to take some photos showing the servo insert shown in place. With access hatch removed

Through the hatches

Also assembled the launch cart. It is amazing how heavy just the keel is!

happy sailing
Tim