Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:37 PM
Enjoying the sunshine
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Feb 2011
2,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntc View Post
Hey guys,

I fly mode 2, and with the new KK2 board when I plug everything in according to the appropriate positions, ie rud to rud, ail to ail, I end up with my aileron control on the left stick and the rudder control on the right stick, surely this is not how it is meant to be right?, a person said to swith the rud and aileron servo cables around and on the screen just treat the ail as rud and rud as aileron.

I wanted to know if all mode two flyers are doing this or is it just me. I use a turnigy 9x with er9x firmware.
any help or views are greatly appreciated!
Before you do anything else, just plug a servo into what you believe to be the aileron and rudder outputs of the receiver. I bet you find that the problem is well before the KK2...
I'd put money on it that your aileron comes out what you believe is the rudder and vice versa.
The KK2 has no idea what mode your radio is in.
HappySundays is offline Find More Posts by HappySundays
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:42 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Nov 2011
949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntc View Post
Hey guys,

I fly mode 2, and with the new KK2 board when I plug everything in according to the appropriate positions, ie rud to rud, ail to ail, I end up with my aileron control on the left stick and the rudder control on the right stick, surely this is not how it is meant to be right?, a person said to swith the rud and aileron servo cables around and on the screen just treat the ail as rud and rud as aileron.

I wanted to know if all mode two flyers are doing this or is it just me. I use a turnigy 9x with er9x firmware.
any help or views are greatly appreciated!
The KK2 has no idea what stick you have mapped to a particular function, it has no idea of what mode 2 means, that's purely a transmitter concept.

If you are sure you haven't got the wires plugged into the wrong receiver channel, then program your transmitter for the correct layout.
Erknie is offline Find More Posts by Erknie
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:03 AM
ntc
Joined Sep 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySundays View Post
Before you do anything else, just plug a servo into what you believe to be the aileron and rudder outputs of the receiver. I bet you find that the problem is well before the KK2...
I'd put money on it that your aileron comes out what you believe is the rudder and vice versa.
The KK2 has no idea what mode your radio is in.
hey, will try it when i go home. so basically what you are saying is that I think that i've got the channels the correct way when in fact they are swapped. will give it a go and if your correct; is the fix just simply switching the ail and rud channels on my er9x firmware?.

plus can't seem to get a hold of a decent starting point for setting the gains on my SQ450 frame with the KK2 board, seam to get lots of left right banking when its about 10cm off the ground, too scared to try get it higher. anyone with a similar quad in x configuration mind posting some decent starting points.
ntc is offline Find More Posts by ntc
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:32 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead0207 View Post
just as a test unplug the #1 esc and plug in the #2 esc and power it up and see if it comes alive. If not you probably answered it yourself, it probably died in the crash.
OK, tried that. It was worth a shot, but sadly I get the same result. We'll have to wait for KK tp pop back in to see what he thinks.

Thank you!

Chris
bobepine is online now Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:38 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveiewonder View Post
Hey, Chris what is the equipment set up on your 250 what kv motors to run on three cell, props size speed control size ect.
Did you get the frame from Xheli.com?

Thanks steve
I got it as a new DIY kit from Terriwang, here on RCG. I believe the ESCs are hobbywing 12 amps, the motors are 1510s 2000 or 2200KV, it's one of the two I can't recall for sure. Props are 6 inch and I use props savers. Battery is 1300mAh, 3s, 30c.

The 1510 motors are crap, though. The shaft ends up loose inside the can. I managed to mod mine using BJ weld and securing the props savers directly to the shaft and the can and it finally solved this problem. Before that, I went through a motor every few flights even without crashing. Quite pathetic, really. And not xactly cheap at around 18 bucks a pop. Here's what the mod looks like:

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined May 2009
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serjuro View Post
Hi there,
As I stated in my previous posts, I've put the KK2 board on a 950mm EPP flying wing. Now all the elecrical and mechanical connections are done, in the right places .I wana use it for FPV.
I've made some pics for you to see my rig and I've uploaded a short movie to see the ,,jitter''- ,,tremor'' that I experience right now.
I have choosen the flying wing mixer with gains from 5 to 100 and limit from 50 to 500.........The I limit I've left to zero. I mounted the kk board to the wing with some 10 mm tick rubber foam to insulate it from vibrations.
The problem is that when I move the stick either way, left, right, up and down, the servos are shaking like hell. Tried to lower the gain, limits, scaling but the shakes remaind there.................
All the trials where made on the ground, with the wing motionless......

PS Another question. Does the KK board have to be mounted perfectly horizonally or after I've placed it as close as possible to horitontal, I can ,,calibrate the sensors'' to let now to the board that this is my normal flying attitude?
One more question, am I suppose to power the KK board in exactly the flying position, the horizontal position or can I power it in whatever position ?

Thanks in advance for help...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCld...ature=youtu.be
Did you try with other servo (analog and digital). How is the servo behave when it connected directly to Rx?.
Looks like a bad servo.
pinguin is online now Find More Posts by pinguin
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined May 2009
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
I got it as a new DIY kit from Terriwang, here on RCG. I believe the ESCs are hobbywing 12 amps, the motors are 1510s 2000 or 2200KV, it's one of the two I can't recall for sure. Props are 6 inch and I use props savers. Battery is 1300mAh, 3s, 30c.

The 1510 motors are crap, though. The shaft ends up loose inside the can. I managed to mod mine using BJ weld and securing the props savers directly to the shaft and the can and it finally solved this problem. Before that, I went through a motor every few flights even without crashing. Quite pathetic, really. And not xactly cheap at around 18 bucks a pop. Here's what the mod looks like:

Best,
Chris
Chris,

Is your frame similar to this one?

Is the motor similar to this one? The recommended prop is 5" for 3s and 6" for 2s battery.
pinguin is online now Find More Posts by pinguin
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:23 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
Did you try with other servo (analog and digital). How is the servo behave when it connected directly to Rx?.
Looks like a bad servo.
Hi Pinguin, the servos are brand new, Corona MG digital. Ofcourse that I've flown them a few times without KK2 board and now I've testesd them again, they are OK plugged directly on RX....
The jitter seems to start on a middle range of the stick movement........yet sometimes when I move the stick very very slow, the jitter does not appear.....
This makes me believe that the KK2 actually picks the small movement of the servos that moves a little bit the flying wing a bit or is transmited through the foam( the servos are moving actually in small steps) and tries to counteract it...........LOL

I've tried lovering the P gain down to 5 or 10 but then I have no or to little control from the sticks to the elevons and neighter the KK board move them sufficient....
I've tried to play with P limit from 50 to 500 and it seems that after say 100, the travel of the elevons is not increasing anymore.........
Strange behaviour for my understanding.....
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:28 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,453 Posts
Hi,

Did anybody did crash with the KK2 due to "saturated" ...

Mine just end up totally out of control ... and I was not even doing any hard manoeuvre ... once recover ... on the display was showing the saturated error ... and motor was in beeping status (this help me to find my micro quad at least)

No failure on the quad at all .. luckily the quad did fall on a tree, and got no damage at all ... so just replug the battery and it was able to fly again perfectly ...

So .. to me it sound there is a bug in the KK2 ... in some situation go in overflow and the quad is going to sink like a brick ...

I can post an on board video of the crash ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:39 AM
KISS
Joined Oct 2009
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Hi,

Did anybody did crash with the KK2 due to "saturated" ...

Mine just end up totally out of control ... and I was not even doing any hard manoeuvre ... once recover ... on the display was showing the saturated error ... and motor was in beeping status (this help me to find my micro quad at least)

No failure on the quad at all .. luckily the quad did fall on a tree, and got no damage at all ... so just replug the battery and it was able to fly again perfectly ...

So .. to me it sound there is a bug in the KK2 ... in some situation go in overflow and the quad is going to sink like a brick ...

I can post an on board video of the crash ...

Tchuss

e_lm_70
Hmm, so that might be the case with mine too, although i did recover in mid flight twice.
I was FPV hovering and it feels like one motor dropped all of the sudden resulting in altitude loss of about 2m after which it recovered.
So far I'm finding it hard to control while flying FPV. even just to hover.
hefest is offline Find More Posts by hefest
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:46 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolgiB View Post
I have an issue with Motor #1 on a quad configuration. I am using a DJI F450 frame with KDS 1100 KV motors and HK 18A ESCs. The quad was already flying for a while with an old KK controller and was just upgraded to the KK2. So there are no known issues with ESCs/Motors. The ESCs has been calibrated again and all is setup following the guide from the HK website.

When I start the quad, the motor #1 stands still until I am close to the point where the aircraft would lift off. Its already moving on the ground, when finally motor #1 picks up some speed. The quad would move then while lifting off into the direction of motor one, until I manage to gain control over it.

What is also a bit strange is the behavior of the throttle. I have to go to about 40% until the motors start. I am hovering at around 50 - 55%. When I check the RX setup in the controller, my throttle down position is displayed as 0. Full throttle recognized as full, I dont use any throttle curves in my TX.

The quad flies incredibly stable, once in the air, there is nothing to notice. For stick scaling I am using the default values and it suits fine for me. Overall a great job, thanks KK!
Late/uneven motor starts is a ESC calibration problem.
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:54 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobepine View Post
OK, did that. The voltage varies. Generally I get between 2.6 and 2.9 volts, but occasionally it went as far up as 3.7 volts. I tested this using a 3s battery.

So what's the verdict? I'm guessing the crash damaged something because the voltage should not fluctuate like this. At least I don't think so. Do tell when you get a chance, please. I'm very curious.

Thank you, Sir.

Best,
Chris
It should be close to 5V. (assuming the ESCs BEC works)
Check the resistor R1, visually (it is burned?) and resistance. It is between Output#1 and the yellow capacitor.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:03 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinguin View Post
Chris,

Is your frame similar to this one?

Is the motor similar to this one? The recommended prop is 5" for 3s and 6" for 2s battery.
Yes to both your questions. The frame is similar and the motors are the same. Terri's x250 frame is nicer, though. I believe the fiberglass is thicker, and it comes with metal screws, installed LED lights with a switch and an integrated distribution board.

I think 2s and three 3s is a reference to 2 blades or three blades props. I'm not sure, but I think so. I used 5" three bladed props before so I figured that if I go with only two bladed props I should try 6 inch instead. I'm sure 5 inch would fly, too, and it may even be more agile. I don't have any to try, though.

Best,
Chris
Site Sponsor
Last edited by bobepine; Jul 31, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:05 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by serjuro View Post
Hi there,
As I stated in my previous posts, I've put the KK2 board on a 950mm EPP flying wing. Now all the elecrical and mechanical connections are done, in the right places .I wana use it for FPV.
I've made some pics for you to see my rig and I've uploaded a short movie to see the ,,jitter''- ,,tremor'' that I experience right now.
I have choosen the flying wing mixer with gains from 5 to 100 and limit from 50 to 500.........The I limit I've left to zero. I mounted the kk board to the wing with some 10 mm tick rubber foam to insulate it from vibrations.
The problem is that when I move the stick either way, left, right, up and down, the servos are shaking like hell. Tried to lower the gain, limits, scaling but the shakes remaind there.................
All the trials where made on the ground, with the wing motionless......
The shakes is feedback from the movement of the servos back to the KK2. Also common on tricopters. The new FW will improve this.
Quote:
PS Another question. Does the KK board have to be mounted perfectly horizonally or after I've placed it as close as possible to horitontal, I can ,,calibrate the sensors'' to let now to the board that this is my normal flying attitude?
It has to be mounted parallel to the aircraft's roll/pitch/yaw axis.
Quote:
One more question, am I suppose to power the KK board in exactly the flying position, the horizontal position or can I power it in whatever position ?
Power it in any position.
Quote:
Thanks in advance for help...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCld...ature=youtu.be
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:08 AM
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEAGRON View Post
Hi,ive a major problem with my KK2,its got contrast but no programe showing,any ideas please or isit toast,it was ok,armed it o/k,flew it, whent into program had some peep's then whent blank,Marty.
Does the LED flash once when powering up?