HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2008
116 Posts
After reading this forum from beginning to end and losing one mQx and almost another due to lack of radio range, I've received a used DX6i in great shape. With D/R to fifty percent, it handles like never before. I didn't doubt that the descriptions in the forum were accurate but there's a big difference between reading and doing. I'm sorry I waited so long and sorry I didn't grab a radio right from the beginning.

I'd been loading and unloading my original package for the mQx, as I just don't have the shelf/table/horizontal surface available to leave it out between flights. Now that I have a nice radio, with its own foam in a box, I think I should have a carrying case that will handle the whole collection.

I'm looking for something that will carry two radio transmitters, the DX6i and a Graupner 20 as well as have space for the mQx, spare parts and batteries. What recommendations for not-frighteningly-expensive cases would the forum-wisdom provide?

Searching on the forum comes up more or less empty.
fred_dot_u is offline Find More Posts by fred_dot_u
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5 Posts
bnf mqx

i was wondering if someone could help me out with an issue i am having. I just got my mqx and I have a dx5e controller when I go to bind it it seems to bind fine. but when I give it thottle onle the back right and front left motors work. all my channels are set to nor and all trim is set to zero. I have tryed to bind it few times and i cant get all rotors to work. my frind bought the rtf mqx and I could bind to his controller just fine and the heli flies just fine. can some one help me with my dx5e issue.

Thanks
flyboy787 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy787
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:48 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy787 View Post
i was wondering if someone could help me out with an issue i am having. I just got my mqx and I have a dx5e controller when I go to bind it it seems to bind fine. but when I give it thottle onle the back right and front left motors work. all my channels are set to nor and all trim is set to zero. I have tryed to bind it few times and i cant get all rotors to work. my frind bought the rtf mqx and I could bind to his controller just fine and the heli flies just fine. can some one help me with my dx5e issue.

Thanks
I had similar issues with my bnf mQx and a DSM2 module. I adjusted my trim to get all the motors to start-up (the manual even suggests adjusting trim to get an even hover).
As to which trim to adjust, that the right back and left front motors work (so the right front and left back motors do not) suggests that yaw/rudder trim is needed (when you apply rudder, one diagonal pair of motors speed up and the other diagonal pair slow down). As to which way the trim is needed, as you throttle up, try applying some left and some right rudder. One direction of rudder should make all 4 motors spin: that is the direction of the rudder trim to give.
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy787 View Post

Thanks
I have a Dx4e bound to my MQX so a Dx5e should be fine too.

What do you mean by "onle the back right and front left motors work" exactly? Not at all? Or just not at the same time as the others when you start up?

Do you move the MQX in the first few seconds after plugging the battery in? It is important that you do not. I get in the habit of connecting it up while it is on the ground and stepping away from it so the sensors do their "which way is up?" magic.

Also, at very low throttle, not all my motors spin up exactly together, but they are all spinning properly long before there is enough power for it to lift off.

If all you have is a staggered motor start (and you are not waving it about after connecting the battery) and it hovers without drifting too much - that's when I trim: a few clicks on Rudder and Roll in my case - then you've got expected behaviour.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:49 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Loose motor plug

So far, I have been reading about dying motors and shorting boom wires.
I have a more mundane problem. After several crashes, the electrical plug from one of my motors to the boom wire socket is coming loose.
I have tried bending the plug pins apart, which tightens the connection a little, but the plug still soon pulls apart from the socket.
Any suggestions on what to try next? I am thinking of adding a layer of solder to the plug pins.
Thanks.

LATER: it turns out not to be the plug pins, but the white "wire" on my motor: there was a break in that wire, but the surrounding white plastic insulation stayed in one piece, hiding the break. I finally noticed that the white wire could bend too easily at one point: the point of the break.
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 14, 2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Turns out to be a break in a motor wire hidden by unbroken wire insulation.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:00 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
So far, I have been reading about dying motors and shorting boom wires.
I have a more mundane problem. After several crashes, the electrical plug from one of my motors to the boom wire socket is coming loose.
I have tried bending the plug pins apart, which tightens the connection a little, but the plug still soon pulls apart from the socket.
Any suggestions on what to try next? I am thinking of adding a layer of solder to the plug pins.
Thanks.
Put a dab of hot glue to keep them from separating. If you ever need to disconnect the wires, just scrape off the hot glue.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying-llama View Post
After several crashes, the electrical plug from one of my motors to the boom wire socket is coming loose.
As the plug and socket are inside the motor mount cover, make sure they are not getting caught on the cover as you slide it on, by seating the wires properly.

I had this happen after I took the cover off and it pulled the plug out of the socket when I slid it on. After bending the pins again: taping or gluing the plug should hold it.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
482 Posts
So My MQX landed in the swimming pool!, at least 4 seconds completely submerged!.. I didn't hold out much hope. However after 5 minutes out, it fired up and flew just fine!

Perhaps an undocumented feature
flyingbiscuit1 is offline Find More Posts by flyingbiscuit1
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:09 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbiscuit1 View Post
So My MQX landed in the swimming pool!, at least 4 seconds completely submerged!.. I didn't hold out much hope. However after 5 minutes out, it fired up and flew just fine!

Perhaps an undocumented feature

YEAH! Perhaps you're right.
Try it as a submarine and let us know how it goes.
ROn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Apr 2009
68 Posts
did anyone try this parts on the mqx?
do you think it will fit?
those parts are really cheap and with free shipping.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/V929/ind...0-0_page1.html
exita is offline Find More Posts by exita
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:51 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Put a dab of hot glue to keep them from separating. If you ever need to disconnect the wires, just scrape off the hot glue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
As the plug and socket are inside the motor mount cover, make sure they are not getting caught on the cover as you slide it on, by seating the wires properly.

I had this happen after I took the cover off and it pulled the plug out of the socket when I slid it on. After bending the pins again: taping or gluing the plug should hold it.
Thanks for the suggestions!
I have a hot glue gun from building foamy (especially EPP) airplanes.
I have also had a run-in with a motor mount cover messing-up an electrical connection: for a few flights, I flew with a cover only partially in place so as not to disturb some of the wires.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:53 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exita View Post
did anyone try this parts on the mqx?
do you think it will fit?
those parts are really cheap and with free shipping.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/V929/ind...0-0_page1.html
One thing about that vendor: from RCGroups posts, it sometimes takes a long time before one receives orders from them.

Jul 18, 2012 update: The motors are now differentiated for rotation, but from Banggood's Beetle description and list of spare parts, and confirmed by erdnukel2, the Beetle's motor wires have the opposite color coding from the mQx: red/blue for a CW prop (CW when viewed from the top, also known as an A prop) and black/white for a CCW prop (B prop).
http://www.banggood.com/buy/v929/ind...0-0_page1.html
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...f-p-46172.html
Last edited by flying-llama; Jul 19, 2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Update on motor wire color conventions
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:00 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,796 Posts
Last night I had a blast flipping my MQX in the neighborhood. Being a heli flyer, I realized real quick that dropping the throttle while inverted to "increase motor rpm and negative pitch" does not work too well on these quad copters!

Surprisingly robust machine! I crashed it into my neighbor's yard once from ~40' feet up with no damage. Another time it crash landed into the street from ~25' up and no damage either.

I'm still looking to add LEDs to this thing for orientation... I find orientation on this thing is even harder than helis! I lost my first MQX over the golf course because I became disoriented. I now try to keep it in closer to prevent this issue, but you still need to be pretty high to flip/roll it.

Wish there was a "buy and install" option out there...

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:13 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
Last night I had a blast flipping my MQX in the neighborhood. Being a heli flyer, I realized real quick that dropping the throttle while inverted to "increase motor rpm and negative pitch" does not work too well on these quad copters!
From what I have read and in my experience, lowering throttle A LITTLE while inverted can help (less thrust downward) or at least does not hurt.
But below about 1/4 throttle on the mQx, all the motors shut down regardless of the elevator or aileron commands (some other quad copters may behave differently): at least with the motors shut down, in my experience, it can crash on to dirt and grass with little or no damage even from pretty high up.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:14 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,341 Posts
i thought I read somewhere in this thread that there was a kit that you get to allow the mqx board to work with brushless motors??

has anyone done this or heard of doing this, or am i just making stuff up?

thanks
SDSURFnGLIDE is online now Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE