Joined Aug 2007
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettster View Post
...The turbines are ready to roll.
Cool. Can't wait to see one of these running
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:30 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
I'm going to buy one for sure...
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:59 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,780 Posts
I probably will too, assuming the price is as significatly lower as their other products. But I'll wait for Pavcon to fly his to make sure it doesn't blow up. lol
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:00 AM
Canberra
Joined Nov 2003
59 Posts
That 2kg would be perfect for the Funjet,
I'm there, Hurry up HK.
LOONY BOY is offline Find More Posts by LOONY BOY
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
It could be assumed they would be very inexpensive based on quantity sales rather than selling only as a rare boutique item. The manufacturing costs of complete turbochargers from Asia are very low, and can be bought new for $129-$229. The compressors are right out of turbochargers, and retooling to wax cast and cnc machine the axial turbine stage is quite simple.

It would be nice if they made some very small lightweight turbines in the 150g weight range, which is possible. Other turbine manufacturers have mostly focused on several Kg thrust and up, ignoring parkflyer sized planes that have taken a strong market share in RC sales.
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
well thats because in the US you cant fly IC engines under the parkflyer rules E power only and under 60mph
most parks have the picked up there regs from the AMA parkflyer rules
it was the compromise the AMA made to get flying back in public parks in the US
first time some one crashes a turbine in a park its all over for every one that was flying there you can bet the knee jerk will be to ban all RC in the park
lot of parks ban rockets do to fire risk already
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
Pro Jet Pilot
Canada, NB
Joined Apr 2006
432 Posts
I would hope that no one would be stupid enough to actually consider flying a turbine powered jet in a public vicinity or unsanctioned field. Its the ease of storage and transportation that makes smaller jets attractive.
Cody f86saber is offline Find More Posts by Cody f86saber
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
a small jet like that i would be 100 bucks some one would
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:49 AM
Canberra
Joined Nov 2003
59 Posts
No turbines in parks..
I'm hoping for the smaller turbines to be around the $800 dollar mark.
Tired of seeing >$2500 for a 55mm Diameter turbine, there ain't that much in there.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,182 Posts
Cody: Chinese turbos suck. The guys buying them, have failures quick... that's why they are so cheap. Also... most of them aren't using the kinds to casting methods or materials used in a turbine.

Are you looking for a turbine that only puts out 150g thrust?

Loony: I wouldn't hold my breath, hoping for and $800 turbine. It would be nice to have an inexpensive turbine... but Jet Joe already tried to release a sub $1k turbine... and they never ran right. They tried to use stainless in a bunch of the hot parts... and Chinese bearings... and they just wouldn't hold together. Also... the JJ ECU SUCKED !!

I think if a company really kept costs in check, and they could live with a small profit margin... I think they could release an small turbine around the $1300 mark.

Both: As far as a true "Park Flyer" sized turbine... that really can't happen. Anything smaller than the Kolibri 15 would be pointless, since you still need a battery, ECU and fuel pump. If you made a smaller turbine... the weight of the control would still be the same. Not to mention... it gets harder to vaporize the fuel... and control the flow at low RPMs.

Finally... the smaller the turbine... the harder they are to build, and the faster they have to spin to maintain. The JJJ and the Kolibri's are already running up to 250k RPM, and they have a hard time keeping bearings in them at that speed.

Personally... I would like to see a 35n turbine, at the $1300 mark (that is reliable) since that would be the ideal size for all the 90mm EDF kits they already sell.
Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:09 AM
Canberra
Joined Nov 2003
59 Posts
Dr Honda: Totally agree, $1300 is very reasonable.

Would like to buy just the engine and use running gear that I already have.
I would also be happy to make mods to the engine as thats half the fun.
35n would be perfect.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:25 AM
USA
Joined Apr 2007
2,391 Posts
Lot's place's to fly that are not park's
space 1 is offline Find More Posts by space 1
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:09 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Personally... I would like to see a 35n turbine, at the $1300 mark (that is reliable) since that would be the ideal size for all the 90mm EDF kits they already sell.
No problem, but keeping the size and weight down will be a problem.

Lambert does a good job, 28N from a 9.3oz engine.(verified) Jetcat can't do it... 23N from a 13oz engine.(verified) Jetsmunt can't do it 35N from a 16oz engine.(current values as production is delayed due to unknown issues) + electronics in all cases.

You really need to keep the thrust to weight ratio of the engine close or over 10:1 if the engine is to be useful, specially in the heavier China ARF's

Sure you se planes fly on the P20 but they are underpowerd and won't fly from a grass field. (yes I know it is possible in some cases but also remember only the happy endings are uploaded on youtube.)

For me I cant see how $1300 is resonable for something that just won't cut it...

e-Flite Habu32 High Speed Taxi Trials (1 min 28 sec)
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Last edited by henke; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:17 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Jul 2010
3,494 Posts
lol at video i could of told them that was going work and that field is to short even if it was paved
they might get it in the air but they need way more room to land
i have seen turbines over shoot on the 400' paved runway at my club
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:30 AM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
No problem, but keeping the size and weight down will be a problem.

Lambert does a good job, 28N from a 9.3oz engine.(verified) Jetcat can't do it... 23N from a 13oz engine.(verified) Jetsmunt can't do it 35N from a 16oz engine.(current values as production is delayed due to unknown issues) + electronics in all cases.

You really need to keep the thrust to weight ratio of the engine close or over 10:1 if the engine is to be useful, specially in the heavier China ARF's

Sure you se planes fly on the P20 but they are underpowerd and won't fly from a grass field. (yes I know it is possible in some cases but also remember only the happy endings are uploaded on youtube.)

For me I cant see how $1300 is reasonable for something that just won't cut it...
I agree 100% !!!

When the P20 came out... I thought... I NEED ONE !!!!! but after I sat back, and thought about it... it really is too small for most 90mm airframes. I saw a P-20 in a 90mm ViperJet... and it took a long time (for it's size) to get off the runway. And... to put it in a smaller model (like a Habu) it's a VERY tight installation.

The Kolibri engines are absolutely beautiful, but unless you want to put it on a "Hand Launch" model... they are too small too. (and in the USA they are crazy epensive. +$3500)

I have a Wren 44, and it's a MOSNTER in a 90mm airframe. I have one in a CMP T-45. I have it turned down to about 8Lbs of thrust, and it will jump off of a paved runway in about 80'. Grass it's too much longer. Since I have it turned down... this is why I think a 35n engine would be perfect. Not to mention... an engine designed to be 35n will be a few oz lighter... and I could carry less fuel. So... if Jet Munt would release the M35 (or if Hobby king would make one, but the one in the vid looked too big).... I would think the same model would be a full 3/4 Lb lighter on take-off.... and at least 4~5 oz lighter on landing.

FYI... hobby king sells this same kit, with the 2010 show paint. (Britt flag version)

Dr Honda is offline Find More Posts by Dr Honda