HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
was that the book about tall ships? I put in down for a minutes and then it was gone. it looks like a nice book, you scored.
Pond Sailer is offline Find More Posts by Pond Sailer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,945 Posts
Naaaa, Great American Yacht designers... I few of my heros there- not "the" hero though.

Sorry I missed out on the Owens due to my "indecisiveness" but she went to a good home!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
nice stuff being sold, and the items that did sell were very low in price. maybe the word will go out that good deals are at our show/swap . $11.00 bucks for a boat.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:38 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond Sailer View Post
$11.00 bucks for a boat.
can't beat that... and it was an excellent boat too!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:13 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwood View Post
Craig, as you saw, I worked around the conflicting scheduling.
I did have concerns but nothing came of them and nothing succeeds like success - Good job, Rob

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 12, 2012 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Swap Meet - Woot!
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
601 Posts
more is better

Quote:
Reminder: Swap meet today at sfmyc clubhouse!

The swap-meet was a success by any (all) standards.

Note-South County RC (AC) holds a swap-meet in the spring before flying season AND in the fall after flying season.

Lets consider opening our season with a swap-meet and closing (like this year) with a swap-meet.

Clearing the "garage" before the season and at the end of the season is a good thing.

Jerry, e-wop (enthusiast without portfolio)
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:20 AM
Daly City, CA
Joined Mar 2004
46 Posts
Observations About the Swap Meet

Thanks for the kind words, guys! I think more promotion would have gotten more sellers, but because of the two meetings (board and general), we would have been hard pressed to fit them in.

I actually screwed up, because I missed the memo in the newsletter about starting in the afternoon. I've been stretched pretty thin with volunteer work lately, and constantly run behind in reading newsletters. So, I did what I tend to do with repeat events that I'm in charge of, and took short cuts by using the previous year's email broadsides, graphics, photos, text, times, etc. This year I shamelessly purloined Craig's excellent Swap Meet graphic, brought it into Photoshop, and added text. In other words, I don't do work unnecessarily, because I simply don't have time.

All that said, I would never have chosen to schedule a swap meet to run concurrently with two club meetings and a sailboat race. However, as it turned out, we had buyers and sellers who inadvertently attended their first club board meeting, and/or general meeting, so there was more community building than usual. In addition, holding the swap meet the way we did, with most sellers setting up before the meetings started, meant that club members who may have only come for the meetings were exposed to all that stuff for sale. The result was a higher number of buyers, which translated to a higher number of sales.

By ending the silent auction at 1:00 PM, the "beer can" sailors had a chance (and the space) to prep their boats, and swap meet attenders got to walk to the lake and watch the races, or play with their new acquisitions.

All in all, everything worked out. The club made $86 on the silent auction, which would have paid for the snacks and drinks, had I remembered to procure them. And I personally took in $150, to boot, which enabled me to turn around and buy stuff I wanted. So, I intend to take the very same approach next year, if it's approved, and publicize the beer can race too (assuming it happens).

Rob
rwood is offline Find More Posts by rwood
Last edited by rwood; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: correct typo
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:59 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,644 Posts
Anybody in the Club have a (lend-able) small (1 - 2 cubic ft.) cement/concrete mixer??
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 14, 2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:00 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
601 Posts
nice work!

Quote:

All that said, I would never have chosen to schedule a swap meet to run concurrently with two club meetings and a sailboat race. However, as it turned out, we had buyers and sellers who inadvertently attended their first club board meeting, and/or general meeting, so there was more community building than usual. In addition, holding the swap meet the way we did, with most sellers setting up before the meetings started, meant that club members who may have only come for the meetings were exposed to all that stuff for sale. The result was a higher number of buyers, which translated to a higher number of sales.

By ending the silent auction at 1:00 PM, the "beer can" sailors had a chance (and the space) to prep their boats, and swap meet attenders got to walk to the lake and watch the races, or play with their new acquisitions.
Rob,
How much better can it be? The 7 beer-can skippers adjusted because a beer-can race is informal and fun by definition. The point is for everyone to have a good time doing this-or-that and that we did. Please consider a "season opener" swap-meet AND season ending swap-meet. Some of us want to "clear-the-garage" at the beginning of the season while others want to "clear-the-garage" at the end. Its all good.

Jerry, e-wop (enthusiast without portfolio)
SBOD&WOD 2012 off-season beer-can race promoter
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Last edited by wyldrydes2; Nov 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:48 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,621 Posts
Surf boats !

A bit of a change of subject, I know there are more than a few members who are into the CG rescue boats ( Mr. Leggo, Fodigo ) last night on KQED I saw a Rippin show called "Guardian of the Gates: The Surfboats".

Here is some text:

"This documentary takes a look at one of the elite Coast Guard Search &Rescue crews that conduct over 600 rescues a year. Filmed at the nation's second busiest Coast Guard station - located right next to the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco - it gets an inside look at what makes these search and rescuers put their lives on the line every day."

Great onboard footage !

Gave me a GREAT appreciation for what these guys do every day, Anyone on a boat out there is Lucky these guys exist.

It will air again several times this month on KQED.
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Last edited by Tim B.; Nov 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: text
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
Training off of Ocean Beach in San Francisco.

Coast Guard (1 min 51 sec)
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:32 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
8,621 Posts
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
166 Posts
Set your DVRs for 11:00pm Thursday night for the Guardians of Gates

G
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
Age quod agis
Joined Sep 2007
1,434 Posts
It is not playing in my area yet.
SD RC Boater is offline Find More Posts by SD RC Boater
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Two of my Motor Lifeboats are currently dry docked and being refurbished...
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Last edited by MrLego; Nov 16, 2012 at 10:54 PM.