New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2014, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by david31337
United Kingdom, Scotland
Joined Feb 2014
44 Posts
Discussion
S900 (A2) with Align G3-GH 3-Axis and EOS-M

I wanted to try this gimbal as I liked the look of it. I really want to fly my EOS-M as I love the video from it, I talked with Align and they said give it a go and see what you get. The whole set-up feels good and well made. Very easy to install on the current s900 frame.

I've balanced the gimbal so I can leave it in any position and it wont move, took some weights mainly on the front to achieve that (45 grams). The inbuilt moving tilt balancer is at it's maximum forward position.

I went for a 12v step down straight from and un-used xt60 connection under the s900. Plugged into the power at the top of the gimbal not on the back.

Stock GH4 settings were getting alot of Vibrations, Pan and Roll stock were close, tilt was way off and I tuned it like an Alexmos board. It's still not perfect. Also it seems if you go for major tilt you get vibration.

I had to use the software to get the gimbal to face the front it was about 10" off centre, without software correction, not sure what this means.

My trouble now is getting perfect tuning because I have no graph, to see my oscillation. The software interface is very simple, almost to simple. I hope the next version has a new way to tuning so I can get it better. At the moment, its trial and error.

With the Yaw follow, you don't have the option to correct small yawing, I like it to follow my Yaw if it's say over 5" either side of centre. It looks more professional. It is smooth in it's yaw follow, I just need to be able to set a follow after x degrees of yaw.

Here are some of the gimbal on my s900.
david31337 is offline Find More Posts by david31337
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2014, 05:23 AM
Find More Posts by northernmonkeyx
Joined Jan 2014
25 Posts
any update?
Are you using two man set up for control of tilt etc...?
I can see they have 'pan' access from the top of the gimbal but no tilt? (wanting one man setup)

I will be usning a sony A6000 on mine, mainly for stills.

Cheers
Mike
northernmonkeyx is offline Find More Posts by northernmonkeyx
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:25 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland
Joined Feb 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkeyx View Post
any update?
Are you using two man set up for control of tilt etc...?
I can see they have 'pan' access from the top of the gimbal but no tilt? (wanting one man setup)

I will be usning a sony A6000 on mine, mainly for stills.

Cheers
Mike
It's all setup so I can run it from 1 tx. They only have pan at the top. I usually run it so the camera is point 10 degrees or so down and straight forward and use the s900 for everything else.

I am still PID tuning for video, it's hard to get it perfect, not sure if it's possible! A6000 for stills will work perfectly I reakon.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 04:38 AM
Find More Posts by northernmonkeyx
Joined Jan 2014
25 Posts
I think its madness on Aligns part that they put a pan connection rather than tilt!!
Tilt is a must for me for one man setup. I see the only way around this is to strap a rx to the gimbal and use two tx setup.
northernmonkeyx is offline Find More Posts by northernmonkeyx
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by fr3style
United States, OH, Kinsman
Joined May 2013
256 Posts
for any professional use two man operation is a must. we actually use 3 man operation sometimes. When the pilot is in fpv and cameraman is focused on the image. Then a third person is a spotter
fr3style is offline Find More Posts by fr3style
Old Dec 27, 2014, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by Aaalie
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by david31337 View Post
I wanted to try this gimbal as I liked the look of it. I really want to fly my EOS-M as I love the video from it,
Foto's are also stunning! For the way we (MR pilots) use the camera's, probably the EOS-M will be a better option compared with the EOS-5D!!
Canon EOS M VS 5D Mark III - Can a $400 camera stand up to the $4000 champ? (9 min 25 sec)
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Dec 27, 2014, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by chopper jockey
Joined Feb 2013
8 Posts
I have one of these too with a GH4. Running two tx but gimbal off a Spectrum Sat. Still trying to work out how to change the mode from the tx? And would you share your PID settings?
chopper jockey is offline Find More Posts by chopper jockey
Last edited by chopper jockey; Dec 27, 2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 01:17 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland
Joined Feb 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaalie View Post
Foto's are also stunning! For the way we (MR pilots) use the camera's, probably the EOS-M will be a better option compared with the EOS-5D!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxfaou8uJfg
What gimbal do you use with it?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:00 PM
Find More Posts by Aaalie
Netherlands
Joined May 2006
675 Posts
Zenmuse:
Zenmuse EOS-M balanceren (1 min 21 sec)

And home-made:
BL mount EOS-M (0 min 44 sec)

Some results:
Test EOS-M Flexacopter (4 min 20 sec)

Waterwerken (1 min 57 sec)

DJI S800 - Skyseeing in holland (1 min 54 sec)
Aaalie is offline Find More Posts by Aaalie
Old Mar 04, 2015, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by jon11
Joined Dec 2013
169 Posts
thegimbal is worth the money? i read many problems and not great stability...what can you say?
jon11 is offline Find More Posts by jon11
Old Apr 28, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by ptaylor999
Joined Mar 2014
42 Posts
yes, I'd like to know too, did you ever get the gimbal working smoothly? Would you recommend this gimbal?
ptaylor999 is offline Find More Posts by ptaylor999
Old May 19, 2015, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by jthomeo
Joined Aug 2007
5 Posts
Did anyone tried the free upgrade kit?

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...53096324649544
jthomeo is offline Find More Posts by jthomeo