HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2014, 05:18 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
Discussion
New to sport, where to start?

Hello, after seeing some pretty interesting posts on another forum i decided to add another hobby to my list. I ordered a toy Nano to get the feel for things. I plan on doing a good bit of research on here and hitting up the link/faq threads.

Where should I start? I wouldn't mind building something like a F550 or discovery for FPV eventually but i don't want to jump right in and break something expensive. Would one of those models work for FPV with a gopro after significant training on a nano?

I know there is another board for my technical questions about batteries and transmitters and recievers but what kind of range and payload can I reasonably expect?
m0244 is offline Find More Posts by m0244
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:59 AM
Team WarpSquad
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Jan 2014
2,593 Posts
Read the many threads on the multi-rotor forums here.
waltr is offline Find More Posts by waltr
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:36 AM
United States, SC, Moncks Corner
Joined Dec 2013
106 Posts
Get yourself a F550 frame because they're cheap replacing the arms should you break one. Most different makers of the arms are compatible. On eBay there is a combo of cheap A2212 1000kv motor and hobbypower 30a ESC $16.
18 3.5mm bullet connectors for the motors/esc's.
NAZA Lite w/GPS but I wouldn't plug in the GPS till after you get the feel in manual and attitude mode.
10x4.5 cc and ccw props. Get these from Value hobby (us seller) and buy a least 10 pair ($1.88 pair) SKU: GFH-MP-2492 They will need to be balanced and hold up good. I've had cheap eBay props break in flight but not these yet.
You will also need 24- M3 x8mm screws for mounting the motors.
Hobby king has the best price on transmitters. I'm using the turnigy 9x. Buy without the module and get the frsky DJT (JR type) and receiver combo. That way you'll have real failsafe account of lost signal and telemetry option in the future. About $90 all together.
Battery.. I have 4- 2200mah 11.1v 3s 30c deans or T connector. Go straight for a 5000mah if you like. Add on a low voltage alarm(eBay) digital readout I suggest.
This should get you started and let the upgrades begin!!!! You'll also have to buy the wife something in this process also, just ask others on here, lol.
Railrode1 is offline Find More Posts by Railrode1
Last edited by Railrode1; Mar 24, 2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: ...