HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2013, 01:35 PM
BVH
Registered User
BVH's Avatar
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
262 Posts
Question
Can the PL8 charge through balance taps only? Is that known as Node-Only?

Title pretty much presents the question. Can I charge so 4S Prismatic LiFePo4 packs using an MPA and connecting only the balance taps? I realize it would be a less than one Amp charge but versus what I have to do to get the batteries out of their tube, time required is not an issue.
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2013, 04:27 PM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
The PL8 supports node only charging in FMA wire mode. These feature is one of the things that is lost when you move to JST-XH wiring mode. There are advantages to JST-XH wiring mode. Namely parallel boards. The MPA requires JST-XH wiring mode.

I'd get an FMA pigtail and whip up your own adapter with the main leads in parallel. Increase the charge rate, simplifies charging and does not require toggling the wiring modes to use.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:49 PM
Registered User
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,786 Posts
I do it all the time. I still have some nitro machines and charge my RX packs (2s LiFe) using only the balance leads. It works great and it's one less cord I need to connect which is easier as these packs remain in the aircraft while charging.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:16 AM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
I do it all the time. I still have some nitro machines and charge my RX packs (2s LiFe) using only the balance leads. It works great and it's one less cord I need to connect which is easier as these packs remain in the aircraft while charging.
Are you changing wiring modes? Or are of your adapters using FMA wiring mode? I held out as long as I could with FMA wiring mode. Eventually switched over to JST-XH mainly for testing purposes as well as the MPA. Converted all my balance cables over to JST-XH.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:24 AM
Registered User
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Are you changing wiring modes? Or are of your adapters using FMA wiring mode? I held out as long as I could with FMA wiring mode. Eventually switched over to JST-XH mainly for testing purposes as well as the MPA. Converted all my balance cables over to JST-XH.
I'm a diehard, never used XH mode, not even once in the three years I had my two PL8s. I got my PL8's long before the MPA boards came out and when I got them I all all the FMA adapters so I could use any batteries.

However, I also realize the end is near and it's only a matter of time before I raise the white flag and use XH mode.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2013, 03:50 PM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
I hear you. I was the same way. Even made my own parallel cables that were wired using the FMA wiring mode. Here's a little known tidbit. My favorite thing about FMA wiring mode (PL8 only) is that all LiPo presets can be used to charge 1s without a balance lead. On the PL6 you have to use the unbalanced preset. There is no storage preset for 1s either. I did create a storage preset for the PL6 and uploaded it here. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1837319

For the DPL there are two new 1s presets. One for high power charging and one for storage.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Last edited by Gregor99; Nov 22, 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added 1s text
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:15 AM
BVH
Registered User
BVH's Avatar
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
262 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone.
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:38 AM
Registered User
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Here's a little known tidbit. My favorite thing about FMA wiring mode (PL8 only) is that all LiPo presets can be used without a balance lead.[/url]

For the DPL there are two new 1s presets. One for high power charging and one for storage.
Wow, I never knew that. I stopped using LiIon as 2s RX packs a while back due to their limited charge rates. I think all my packs have balance leads these days except for some old small 280mAh 2s packs for for indoor flying. I can't believe these 10 year old packs still work, but they seemed decent when I flew them last year.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:44 AM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Iall LiPo presets can be used to charge 1s without a balance lead.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:35 AM
Registered User
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,786 Posts
Thanks for the correction. I know they had the unbalanced 2s preset, but nothing larger than 2s could be changed w/o the balance lead.

I know Tim said they would look at allowing 2s unbalanced storage discharge, but I don't know if that was ever implemented. Any word on whether the DPL8 will allow that?
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
Registered User
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic View Post
I know Tim said they would look at allowing 2s unbalanced storage discharge, but I don't know if that was ever implemented. Any word on whether the DPL8 will allow that?
That scenario wasn't addressed in the DPL. However, it can be done on any Powerlab today. Start with the unbalanced preset. On the Discharge tab, change the "Store Chg or Dsch" from NO to YES>. Change the discharge voltage to 3.83v. Change the charge voltage to 3.86v. That will give an unbalanced storage preset for up to 2s.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:35 PM
Registered User
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
That scenario wasn't addressed in the DPL. However, it can be done on any Powerlab today. Start with the unbalanced preset. On the Discharge tab, change the "Store Chg or Dsch" from NO to YES>. Change the discharge voltage to 3.83v. Change the charge voltage to 3.86v. That will give an unbalanced storage preset for up to 2s.
Thanks, I've never seen that solution mentioned before. More proof you learn something new everyday!
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Balance taps for PL8 K.B. Batteries and Chargers 6 Apr 07, 2013 10:50 AM
Discussion PL8 balance charge TP packs with two balance leads MikeAnderson FMA Direct 2 Feb 07, 2013 08:38 PM
Discussion PL6 vs PL8 - Node only charging viperman3 FMA Direct 13 Sep 06, 2012 09:20 AM
Discussion Will my PL8 charge a 2 cell pack that has no balance tap? WBFAir FMA Direct 7 Jul 04, 2012 11:39 PM
Discussion Can I charge lipos on a Nimh charger if I charge them through a balancer Max Powers Batteries and Chargers 9 Dec 23, 2008 05:28 PM