HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:24 PM
United Kingdom, Craigavon
Joined Sep 2013
40 Posts
Discussion
H9 spitfire damaged

What do I do? Today arrived my eagerly awaited h9 spitfire60 but the fin is broken at the very back and torn of at the front. do I return it or take a chance and stick it myself? Looks like it took a bad knock in transport.
Pedmondsonni is offline Find More Posts by Pedmondsonni
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:15 PM
Same Day Delivery
Economy, Pa.
Joined Mar 2002
3,501 Posts
Call Horizons toll free number, choose tech support, you will be prompted to leave a call back number, they will call you back. Explane your problem and you will have a new fusalage in 3or 4 days
mike3976 is offline Find More Posts by mike3976
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:06 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,315 Posts
That can be easy fixed, too bad it arrived that way, but easily fixed.
helifann is online now Find More Posts by helifann
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
283 Posts
You are better off calling them than trying to fix it yourself. Once you go that route, then all bets are off getting a replacement. They are pretty good on getting it right when things are damaged. They may have you send it in which is a bummer but they most likely will want a picture sent of the damage with a copy of the receipt. It will arrive in a few short days.

From my experience, those tail sections sure like to get smashed up. I wish the packing was a little more robust in that area.
JudahBenHur is offline Find More Posts by JudahBenHur
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:55 AM
Joined Sep 2013
40 Posts
Seller says the UK distributer can't get a replacement for 4 weeks. I'll hold onto it and fix it up myself. The covering is my only gripe.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:09 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,666 Posts
Looks to me like it wasnt glued. I wonder if anything else in there wasnt glued?
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:07 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,833 Posts
It took a hard knock on the vertical fin and the tail post cracked. No strength in that area until the horizontal is epoxied in place. A fix is as simple as the the same epoxy you'd use to install the horizontal stab. Just be extra careful to get the vertical and horizontals square to each other and to the wing.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Sep 2013
40 Posts
Yea, theres a post that runs through the fin and up through the fuselage which has been snapped. Im goina completely remove the fin, affix the horizontal stabilizer with epoxy the drill and pin it down, leaving enough pin exposed out the top of the stabilizer so the fin can also be drilled and pinned down too. It can also be pinned at the front.

On a different note,the 5" wing spar doesnt look up to much. I recently but together a 80 black horse were the wing spar provided was 20" long. Quite a difference!!

Anyway, its a nice looking bird.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,666 Posts
I watched one fly last weekend and with the yankin and bankin the guy was doing, I'd say that spar joiner held up fine. I havent heard of it being a problem. But that sure does seem short.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:17 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,315 Posts
I had a hangar9 p40 from that same series, the elevator snapped. The only way to repair was to cut it off the same way yours broke. I put a dowel in for extra strength, epoxied in place and it worked fine, that was 3 years ago. Plane is still flying today!
helifann is online now Find More Posts by helifann