Old Aug 05, 2014, 10:11 AM
Aviation Maintenance Manager
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
Hey Mike,

Been better, the chemo is really sapping my energy, so a lot less time building and flying than I would like. Of course, it seems to be working, which is a big plus.

The Zero is my goto plane, it is so forgiving and fun and I get about 10 min on a 4S 3300. Except for the bad habit of nosing over in grass, it is really just a big trainer. My second favorite has become my Dynam 262, but it is a real amp hog, barely 4.5 min on a 4S 6000.

Most of my time/money/energy has been going towards a bird survey project using an FPV plane with a still camera to monitor nesting and population census. Very cool that I get to play with r/c and call it university research. Best of all worlds

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff, Sorry to hear that youare undergoing Chemo. Hope flying takes your mind and body into another trance and forget your worries.

I love the Zero. until now it is stil my favorite one to fly. Hows the Dynam 262? Good flyer?
carrera mike is offline Find More Posts by carrera mike
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2014, 08:55 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrera mike View Post
Jeff, Sorry to hear that youare undergoing Chemo. Hope flying takes your mind and body into another trance and forget your worries.

I love the Zero. until now it is stil my favorite one to fly. Hows the Dynam 262? Good flyer?
Thanks Mike,

The whole chemo thing isn't the most pleasant, but I am encouraged by the results. It's an experimental protocol, my cancer is recalcitrant to the standard treatments.

I got out for an afternoon last week, only 92F and 70% RH, practically cool for July in Louisiana. I always go with a crowd -Saburo Sakai in the Zero, Eric Hartmann in the 262 and Pierre Clostermann in the PZ Spit. :-) The 262 needs a couple of minor mods. The long flexible pushrods and and small area make for sloppy elevator control, so rudder and elevator servos are moved to the tail. Landing gear, esp nose gear are a bit bendy for grass, so replacement HK oleos. It sounds really cool, and is as easy to fly as the Zero. No real vices, and there is that unmistakable shark-like silhouette in the sky. Throttle management is mandatory, I can run the battery flat in 3 min if I push it, something like 108A at WOT with the stock fans.

I had a wonderful afternoon. Saburo was totally on his game in the Zero, even to making a perfect 3-pointer on his second flight. Hartmann was great too, even managed to handle a double flame-out without airframe damage. (somebody forgot to check the charge on the lipo). Clostermann was good too and the Spit may be the most graceful plane ever built. So, yah, I went home with an ear-to-ear grin, had a wonderful day, no damage to my planes.

Life is good and a simple day of flying brings a lot of joy.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:03 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
684 Posts
@Jeff: Although I do not know you, I have had friends in a similar position. You have my respect for your positiv attitude although I am sure it is not easy. Best wishes from Austria.

Managed to put some work into my Zero too. Technically its finished except the elevators that still need to be fitted.

I finished the weathering too, put on the decals and clear coated the whole plane in a semi gloss finish which I am very happy with. Looks a lot better than the matt clear coat the plane came in.

Well, running out of excuses to not maiden her...
Reverend is offline Find More Posts by Reverend
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:33 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,436 Posts
Thanks for the good wishes, Reverend. Your Zero looks lovely.

I meant to mention that with the FMS Zero, I moved the lipo back and added 1.5 oz (~40g) to the tail to help with noseovers on grass. The Zero flies much better with the c/g aft of the factory recommendations.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:35 AM
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike,

The whole chemo thing isn't the most pleasant, but I am encouraged by the results. It's an experimental protocol, my cancer is recalcitrant to the standard treatments.

I got out for an afternoon last week, only 92F and 70% RH, practically cool for July in Louisiana. I always go with a crowd -Saburo Sakai in the Zero, Eric Hartmann in the 262 and Pierre Clostermann in the PZ Spit. :-) The 262 needs a couple of minor mods. The long flexible pushrods and and small area make for sloppy elevator control, so rudder and elevator servos are moved to the tail. Landing gear, esp nose gear are a bit bendy for grass, so replacement HK oleos. It sounds really cool, and is as easy to fly as the Zero. No real vices, and there is that unmistakable shark-like silhouette in the sky. Throttle management is mandatory, I can run the battery flat in 3 min if I push it, something like 108A at WOT with the stock fans.

I had a wonderful afternoon. Saburo was totally on his game in the Zero, even to making a perfect 3-pointer on his second flight. Hartmann was great too, even managed to handle a double flame-out without airframe damage. (somebody forgot to check the charge on the lipo). Clostermann was good too and the Spit may be the most graceful plane ever built. So, yah, I went home with an ear-to-ear grin, had a wonderful day, no damage to my planes.

Life is good and a simple day of flying brings a lot of joy.

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff thats awesome how u described ur flu boys how they did their best for all the sorties u ordered them to do 👍. I hope to fly this weekend and get the same results. 🍻
Old Aug 28, 2014, 09:48 AM
Joined Dec 2012
312 Posts
I have a used Robart set for this plane if anyone is interested, PM me. Its the 630 RSE(90 deg) Electric and the 671 Left and Right Robo Struts.

The springs for this set have been cut to work with with this plane, 19-24LB plane, Absorbs shocks good. This set will come with all the the connectors and the OEM wheels and axle for the ESM Zero.

Here's a video of their drop checks
Robarts Electrics 631 RSE and 671 Robostruts (0 min 54 sec)
Last edited by carrera mike; Aug 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 02:40 PM
A4Framie
New Zealand, Marlborough, Woodbourne
Joined Nov 2011
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoarseAir View Post
Has anyone had any luck with the factory air retracts?

I got a set with my Corsair, but not sure whether to even try them.
Well.... you are talking about the air retracts of course, I have the ESM electric retracts and can only comment on them. I am on to my second set, the first set failed on a heavy landing, the drive screw snapped (that's the main one that is driven by the motor and moves the threaded nut fore and aft, engaging with the trunnion and moving the gear).
When I say, a heavy landing, it wasn't actually all that bad, just not copy-book.

Why did I buy a second set of ESM gear if it doesn't seem up to it? Well.... it was the only gear available in my country. If I have another similiar failure I will bite the bullet and order something way more expensive from the USA. It will incur import duties!!!)

So... if the ESM air retracts are of similiar quality to the electrics, I'd say they are not up to the job for a 20 lb model. (yes, the Corsair is a heavy build and requires a lot of added weight in the nose to balance CoG)

Alf
alfiev is offline Find More Posts by alfiev
Old Sep 20, 2014, 06:08 PM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
684 Posts
Flights number ten - thirteen today. Love this plane more and more. Stock retracts are holding up fine.

Switched the kolm for a Saito boxer. The powerfull Kolm is going into tug duty.

Planet Hobby (ESM) Zero (3 min 38 sec)
Old Sep 23, 2014, 07:50 AM
Oh no, not again!
Joined Dec 2005
5,436 Posts
Reverend, beautiful flying of a very nicely detailed model. I have to say that is the most spectacular flying field I have ever seen. Living down here in the swamps, I am totally jealous. Been nearly four decades since I was in Innsbruck and I still remember being overwhelmed by the sheer magnificence of the city and the setting.

Regards,
Jeff
Old Sep 23, 2014, 08:00 AM
Innsbruck, Austria
Joined Oct 2003
684 Posts
Quote:
Reverend, beautiful flying of a very nicely detailed model. I have to say that is the most spectacular flying field I have ever seen. Living down here in the swamps, I am totally jealous. Been nearly four decades since I was in Innsbruck and I still remember being overwhelmed by the sheer magnificence of the city and the setting.

Regards,
Jeff
Jeff,

thanks for the kind words. I am very blessed to be able to live and fly here. The backdrop is brilliant as long as you are not flying a camo coloured warbird

Innsbruck will probably have changed a bit in 40 years, the mountains certainly have not. If you do ever return, let me know. I will have a foamie ready for you.

Rgds,
Philipp