HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Discussion
Best Site for Newbies

If someone (me) wanted to learn more about your hobby/sport of unmanned flying, what website would you recommend?

If someone wanted to get into this hobby, what are the main challenges? Besides getting the glider/power system etc... what are the other main components?

I see a lot awesome videos on youtube filmed in China and other places with gliders flying over cities and rivers. It's amazing. Can you get a set up for this kind of flying for under $2,000?

Finally, are there any books out there that cover this hobby?

Thanks
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 02:30 AM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierGuy View Post
If someone (me) wanted to learn more about your hobby/sport of unmanned flying, what website would you recommend?

DIYDrones is the biggest amateur UAV site. You can get a RTF UAV, with full waypoint, mission scripting and telemetry capability, for as little as $599 here.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old May 09, 2012, 09:59 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,866 Posts
sUAS News is the best find out about what's happening with civil and military systems around the world.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old May 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jan 2012
795 Posts
Thanks for the replies. If you want to get involved in this hobby/sport do you have to know a lot about writing your own programs/code? Some of the threads I read sound a little "military" like and it's a little intimidating.
HoosierGuy is offline Find More Posts by HoosierGuy
Old May 09, 2012, 03:47 PM
Asker, Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
422 Posts
Well then, the paparazzi, gluonpilot, openpilot and uavdevboard homepages might provide sone interesting reading, besides the homepages of flexipilot, fy###pilots and attopilot.
brakar is offline Find More Posts by brakar