SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,281 Posts
success! It is now clean and bloody easy to do. Thanks to Dio at fpvlabs I ended up making this .. all the parts came from a old power supply for a computer.

1 - toroid core
1 - 470u 16v cap (might go with a lower voltage one)
1 - 104m ceramic cap

I still think I made a mistake in the wire up as the ceramic cap is meant to be in parallel along the positive line. This was only a test board anyway as I am going to cut out three rows (signal, power, GND). Over all it will be pretty small and light. Just what I am looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoG_XKnWDcs
whakahere is online now Find More Posts by whakahere
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:57 PM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
nice!
Farmer_Joe is offline Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:25 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,281 Posts
and here is the final. very small. With camera, long ass wires, ubec, filter, 5.8ghz module it all came in at 32 grams. not to shabby. I think once I have the LC filter in for the camera and power (going to check if I need that too) I say the whole setup will be about 40 grams.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:53 PM
United States, TX, Mansfield
Joined Jan 2012
529 Posts
Good job! I actually gathered up several old server motherboards from our E-Waste bin at work a few days ago.

Each of them has several very nice torrid rings, which is EXACTLY why I grabbed them up
CTvxl is offline Find More Posts by CTvxl
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,281 Posts
I broke down today and at last brought a breadboard so I could do some testing. If you wrap the positive power wire around the toroid core about 15 times you will remove most of the noise. you don't have to wrap the ground. so the little bec does get the job done.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:41 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whakahere View Post
and here is the final. very small. With camera, long ass wires, ubec, filter, 5.8ghz module it all came in at 32 grams. not to shabby. I think once I have the LC filter in for the camera and power (going to check if I need that too) I say the whole setup will be about 40 grams.
Hmmm... same weight as using single cell instead complicate with ubec and filters bigger than the module itself.
And my setup is not optimised at all, could be even lighter... 2 grams is the SD card alone, placed there as dimension reference only, without any other purpose. The wiring, which actually is a standard aileron Y cable, is more than 5 grams and can be saved, and so on...
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Mar 24, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:30 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RENATOA View Post
Hmmm... same weight as using single cell instead complicate with ubec and filters bigger than the module itself.
And my setup is not optimised at all, could be even lighter... 2 grams is the SD card alone, placed there as dimension reference only, without any other purpose. The wiring, which actually is a standard aileron Y cable, is more than 5 grams and can be saved, and so on...
I agree with you there. But I am building this really for how I fly. I hate charging batteries especially two different battery S ratings. This way it is one battery for everything. Overall the two battery setup will be lighter.

My other issue is that these modules need 3.3volts. Higher voltages in the lipo will overheat it badly correct? This is the one from foxtechfpv which does not have the reg inside.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:59 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Heating is not so bad, I would not call it "over", under 45 degrees C.
Actually I find the current retail unit not so well designed with that useless heatsink.
Look at Immersion RC, placing module on a PCB is all we need, this is the way how a transmitter based on such module should look.
The SkyRF equivalent is manufactured by this guy from Lithuania:
http://www.csgshop.com/product.php?id_product=31
and can be easily reproduced by anyone using a board as yours.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,281 Posts
that is what I would like to make myself in the end. Hobby project to learn about circuits and etching a circuit board. My goal though is to have it run through a 12volts as that is the same as my camera. This is one reason I am looking at switching regulators. If I can get it to be 7 grams like him I will be a very happy camper.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:58 PM
SW England
Joined Aug 2009
799 Posts
I made my own board to incorporate the VTx + voltage regulator + camera... came in at 22gms all up, but makes a nice 'pod'.
Has a DIP switch for easy channel changes.
The 2gm camera has a better lens fitted, which adds a bit more weight but makes a nice difference in quality.

I can change the 'pod' to any of my models as it's an all-in-one unit and powered either by 2S lipo or balance port of 3S or 4S.

Nigel.
Devonboy is offline Find More Posts by Devonboy
Old Mar 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
S. Wales
Joined Jun 2008
448 Posts
Very nice work.
jon davies is offline Find More Posts by jon davies
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:49 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Please add two more wires from upper corners of camera board to the VTx board.
The base PCB were are the mounting solders will not resist to a tougher landing, imo.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:20 AM
Kiwi in Germany
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonboy View Post
I made my own board to incorporate the VTx + voltage regulator + camera... came in at 22gms all up, but makes a nice 'pod'.
Has a DIP switch for easy channel changes.
The 2gm camera has a better lens fitted, which adds a bit more weight but makes a nice difference in quality.

I can change the 'pod' to any of my models as it's an all-in-one unit and powered either by 2S lipo or balance port of 3S or 4S.

Nigel.
that looks really nice. What regulator did you use?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:10 AM
Austria / Vienna
Joined Feb 2007
1,309 Posts
hi,

pls help!
a friend of mine fried his new foxtech 200mW tx!
he swears that he connected only 12V DC + to the pin on the outside and - to the 2nd and nothing more --- but one element glow up and burned.
itīs the one in the circle.

iīve heard that there may be transmitters on the market rated for 5V. this receiver was bought at hobbyking and is rated for 12V !!

whatīs that for an element? pls type and value for replacement.
whatīs your opinion how this could happened?

thanks for your help, Thomas
Thint1 is offline Find More Posts by Thint1
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:22 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,954 Posts
Info in this thread should help:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1592710