SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:26 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
Thanks, GRUMPEE

...am trying to find someone to video it flying for me... I sometimes strap my iPod to my head but its auto iris leaves everything bright and bleached out. I need someone to run my Canon T2i on a tripod while I fly... will maybe have to train my 10 year old niece
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: HobbyZone Sport Cub S BNF
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Thanks, GRUMPEE

...am trying to find someone to video it flying for me... I sometimes strap my iPod to my head but its auto iris leaves everything bright and bleached out. I need someone to run my Canon T2i on a tripod while I fly... will maybe have to train my 10 year old niece
AAHHAAA...You are in a race with me to get the first vid out...lol You will stop at nothing,,,...even training your 10 year old niece....how sad. Slave driver

DO IT.....WE WANT VIDS

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:16 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts

Well, Mike... at least you can have the pleasure of knowing your bushwheels are now bigger than mine and I'll now have wheel envy ... in an effort to compensate for some of the added weight of the fiberglass pc board my new LED timer circuit is built on... today I bought some Du-Bro 1-3/4" foams and did my shaping process, removing the tread, and so have gone down a size for my tires saving 2g... looking nice and "balloony" though like the real ones...

... but that's not where it'll end. Next, I'm going to slice each tire in half down the "tread" and hollow them out with my Dremel then glue them together again ... if it works out, maybe I'll do it to the 2 inchers and won't have to envy

Just got in from flying it and, with the lighter wheels and also trying running everything off the single 150mah instead of adding a second lipo dedicated to the LED circuit or using a 7g mcpx battery to power everything, I'm almost back to where I want to be... 54g (without battery) and my goal is 50. Will see how hollowing out the tires works out

By the way, I found a new way to set my CoG... when flying it both last night with my spare (super light) all stock landing gear and tonight with the reduced bushwheels, I had to put my battery(s) forward (sticking out of the cavity) to get the nose heavier and found the perfect CoG that gives me a perfect powered-off dead stick nice shallow glideslope and pretty much hands-off landing... but I elevator up anyway in the last 6 inches of altitude when I hit that ground effect nice little pillow of air and gently 3 point it onto the road (so scale looking) I found out I have a battery that's going bad, hit LVC on approach, and still had a perfect landing. Niccccce!

Bushwheels V3.0 ... smaller

Name: bushwheels-v3-1.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 84.9 KB
Description:
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
[QUOTE=North_of_49;22422042]

...in an effort to compensate for some of the added weight of the fiberglass pc board my new LED timer circuit is built on... today I bought some Du-Bro 1-3/4" foams... but that's not where it'll end. Next, I'm going to... hollow them out ... also trying running everything off the single 150mah instead of adding a second lipo dedicated to the LED circuit or using a 7g mcpx battery to power everything, I'm almost back to where I want to be... 54g (without battery) and my goal is 50. Will see how hollowing out the tires works out

[QUOTE]

Uhhhh, seems like you have a power and lift problem. You seem to be going to extreme lengths to shave grams when maybe you need to add power... Brushless? P-51 motor?
OK, I think it'll work - the DF fuse from the MiG with Champ wings and tail and a dummy prop freewheeling up front
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
I am THE Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
151 Posts
Hey everybody. Anybody wanna tell me how to replace the prop on the Champ? I have a prop and an adapter, I just need to know how to take the original prop off. Thanks
Kerec6 is offline Find More Posts by Kerec6
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:03 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
Hold the propshaft with a needle nose pliers or hemostat and spin the prop off.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:29 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead600cc View Post

Uhhhh, seems like you have a power and lift problem. You seem to be going to extreme lengths to shave grams when maybe you need to add power... Brushless? P-51 motor?
OK, I think it'll work - the DF fuse from the MiG with Champ wings and tail and a dummy prop freewheeling up front
I have a P-51 motor still packaged... but I don't think it's the answer, I don't want more speed to get more lift, I like the slower more scale like speed I could fly my Champ at before... the only way is to get the weight back down. I just need to shave a gram here, a gram there... and dump that heavy circuit board (just the board, not the circuit)... I might have a solution.

Regarding the P-51 motor though, I asked a question about it sometime in the past week... no one has answered it yet... don't want to use it until I know the answer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:44 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
I have a P-51 motor still packaged... but I don't think it's the answer, I don't want more speed to get more lift, I like the slower more scale like speed I could fly my Champ at before...

Regarding the P-51 motor though, I asked a question about it sometime in the past week... no one has answered it yet... don't want to use it until I know the answer.
If you want slow just don't floor it.

What question? No one is gonna search back through all the posts.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:26 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
If you want slow just don't floor it.

What question? No one is gonna search back through all the posts.
But it doesn't work like that if you're carrying extra weight. "just don't floor it" means you dump it into the ground. When it's lighter, you can fly it slower... less lift required, so, slower air over the wing.

I'm not asking anyone to search back though the posts. If anyone knew, at the time I posted it, I figure they would have answered it at the time. It was regarding what do people mean when they say the P-51 motor is more powerful? If it means it produces more power at the same current draw compared to the stock motor, that helps me. If it means it just sucks more current to get that extra power, using up battery faster, that's not really what I'm after... I can get the same effect by just throttling the stock motor higher... also using up battery quicker.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:49 AM
Chris
Canada, NS, Queensland
Joined May 2012
173 Posts
@North
I don't know much of this stuff but on other threads more motor = more battery draw so you're probably right in my book. The supplied batteries usually increase in mAh as you get more motor. But, I don't know what the power curve is on these motors. Perhaps more torque and thrust comes on at lower speed and absolute power is at the high end???
Would a prop change help? There is a lot of data on them out there and I've noticed that getting off the ground seems to require more throttle and once airborne I can relax it somewhat. And, while you're you're shaving milligrams, there are only three vent holes in the bottom of the fuse. A couple more wouldn't look out of place. Is there a smaller wire gauge for the LEDs? I'm not sure how you've pathed the wires to the extremities. Maybe strip the casing off one or both if you can prevent shorting. How much paint is on the plane, including 'touch-ups' and repairs? I still say lose the bush tires for this experiment and go stock( or a wee bit bigger if you must )
Good luck
Airhead600cc is offline Find More Posts by Airhead600cc
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:49 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
But it doesn't work like that if you're carrying extra weight. "just don't floor it" means you dump it into the ground. When it's lighter, you can fly it slower... less lift required, so, slower air over the wing.

I'm not asking anyone to search back though the posts. If anyone knew, at the time I posted it, I figure they would have answered it at the time. It was regarding what do people mean when they say the P-51 motor is more powerful? If it means it produces more power at the same current draw compared to the stock motor, that helps me. If it means it just sucks more current to get that extra power, using up battery faster, that's not really what I'm after... I can get the same effect by just throttling the stock motor higher... also using up battery quicker.
You can up to the point where you don't have any climb at full power. Then you need to have more power.
As far as speed goes, another option is to add flaps -- more camber -- to the wing. This will create more lift at low speed, but it will also add drag, which will require... more power to maintain the same speed.
Somewhere way back in the thread, ISTR someone adding flaps of clear plastic to add additional area and camber while maintaining a stock look from a distance.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
North,

The 4-site and P51 motors, seemingly have more power (better RPM handling at the same current draw). I replaced one of my uChamp's motors with a 4-Site unit, and it went much better. There was a significant variance in the motor performances when this little model first came out, but over time, I am seeing many of my friends who recently got a micro (u) Champ have plenty of performance with the stock unit.

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:18 PM
I am THE Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
151 Posts
Ok guys I have sort of a problem here. My champ is really hard to turn left. The rudder is positioned so it turns right when everything is off. Some help would be great. Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:54 PM
Canada, AB, Fort MacLeod
Joined Aug 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerec6 View Post
Ok guys I have sort of a problem here. My champ is really hard to turn left. The rudder is positioned so it turns right when everything is off. Some help would be great. Thanks
Power everything up , center the trims on the tx, and then bend the u on the control rod until the rudder is straight.
Johnny Five is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Five
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
I am THE Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Five View Post
Power everything up , center the trims on the tx, and then bend the u on the control rod until the rudder is straight.
Cool, thanks! Just one question, though, how to I bend the U on the control rod?