New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2016, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by scmitchell11
United States, GA, Augusta
Joined Aug 2011
151 Posts
Discussion
foam question from an old man

so I'm back after 15 years and have scratched out a 4 channel stick model with an armen wing and an Old Fogey from FT plans. I do tend to fly the FT plane more because 2200 mah batts last much longer on that light plane. both of these planes have been built from DTFB. paper on. Now I am building the Elipso Aero Bipe from a thread here on RCG. The question is... the elipso was deigned for 6 mil depron and the DTFB is 5 mil when stripped of paper. I have never laid hands on depron so my question...Finally. i know....is ... what is the strength difference between 6 mil depron and 5 mil paperless DTFB
scmitchell11 is offline Find More Posts by scmitchell11
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2016, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
11,628 Posts
I'm not sure Depron is "stronger" than DTF, but it is way more stiff. Generally that translates to stronger in flight modes, in that the wings don't sag or bend up, and gentle crashes are survived with depron versus bending the plane in DTF. Also, I usually figure dtf without paper at 4.5mm or 3/16", so the difference in thickness is significant. However if you skin single surface dtf with packing tape (get the thinnest, cheapest you can find) you will find you have a very strong and surprisingly stiff construction without the paper weight penalty! Do watch out to avoid pulling the tape taught when laying it on the foam, I have warped wings pulling the tape when applying.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Jan 26, 2016, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by scmitchell11
United States, GA, Augusta
Joined Aug 2011
151 Posts
thats what i thought i just cut a wing panel from paperless DTFB and it was floppy like a noodle just don't know where to get depron locally Lowes only has the green fanfold and it looks horrible. The big blue sheets look nice but are only available in 1/2 in sheets and I do not have a hot wire rig
scmitchell11 is offline Find More Posts by scmitchell11
Old Jan 26, 2016, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by birdofplay
Retired CAD guy
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
10,640 Posts
Look at this link
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=18

Don't get too Skootchie about the differences. They are minor and subject to a lot of
conjecture and BS too.

Just build and get experience and have fun !

Foam CAN BE fun ! :-)

All us old guys had to suffer thru the crossover.
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Jan 27, 2016, 12:14 PM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
11,628 Posts
Take that wing and lay some packing tape on it. First try just a wrap around leading edge and see what that adds, then do a full skin top and bottom and see how that adds strength and stiffness. Several of my onesheeters use a single surface DTF wing, and I sometimes have a problem with the wing splitting from TE to LE when I doink the planes. (I think it's the shock load in tension which DTF can't handle well). I find that the packing tape skinning totally eliminates that problem.

If you want larger sheets like fanfold, but much nicer looking, check out modelplanefoam.com

(shameless plug!)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer