New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by Crash Override
is always breaking stuff :D
United States, MI, Charter Twp of Clinton
Joined Dec 2014
1,541 Posts
You're welcome, Steve.

I'm waiting for the clearcoat to dry on my new one. It should be ready by the time the winds calm down here enough to fly - in two days. *grumble*
Crash Override is offline Find More Posts by Crash Override
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2015, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by Hugo Flynow
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
1,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAlong View Post
Battrery placement has been a small issue that most have dealt with for this bird. I decided to dedicate the stock size battery to leave in the plane and charge it there. The CG is slightly off towards the tail but some added weight will be added to compensate. After getting the feel of how this Pitts flies, I will probably replace the battery with a 1500 or 1800 mah size. I hope I am able to attach the pics I took.

I laid the battery lengthwise from the front bay and secured it in the front to prevent shifting. Then I tood a peice of spongy foam to hold the battery in. I am easily able to replace the battery if I feel I need to. Charging will be easy and I have enough aircraft to rotate it into the mix as I fly the others. Works for me
Charging a lipo while in the plane can be very dangerous. One of the top 3 things lipo instructions tell you NOT to do. Just sayin....
Hugo Flynow is offline Find More Posts by Hugo Flynow
Old Dec 28, 2015, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by SailingAlong
United States, MN, Bloomington
Joined Oct 2008
554 Posts
I am aware of that but will use this method. There is a bigger chance of a battery fire while flying, crashing , midair, and hard landings. I will take my chance.

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2015, 08:14 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
1,795 Posts
If you are charging your plane outside, the risk is equal I guess, except you lose the plane and the battery if something happens during charging.

In the end...it's your plane and you can do with it what you want!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 08:46 AM
Joined Dec 2014
1,541 Posts
It's a balmy 33F/1C outside, SW wind 6MPH/10KPH.

I think I'll be taking my sttiP out today - along with a couple other birds, of course.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:17 AM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
1,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Override View Post
It's a balmy 33F/1C outside, SW wind 6MPH/10KPH.

I think I'll be taking my sttiP out today - along with a couple other birds, of course.
Look on the other side of your rudder...

Raining here for 2 weeks straight...today is no different.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 03:27 PM
Joined Dec 2014
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow View Post
Look on the other side of your rudder...

Raining here for 2 weeks straight...today is no different.
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?

How dare they print sttiP reversed on the other side?!?

For the past two weeks here, it's been rain to snow and everything in between - except for today (just calm, cold, and grey) and Christmas Day (calm, cold, and sunny). Didn't fly on Christmas - I hosted the family get-together this year.

I hope you get a flying day soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2015, 03:46 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
1,795 Posts
Thanks CO....By saturday the sun should show up...which will scare everybody. People here will be squinting while shedding their gills.

I'm glad I got as much flying in as I did when we had 2 solid months of warm sunny and calm...I almost couldn't keep up with the nice weather! So it all evens out in the end...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 04:35 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
1,795 Posts
Got my wattmeter today It's pretty cool.

First thing I did was try out my Pitts and it's new 10x7 slow flyer APC prop.
I rushed the experiment so I took a 1500 MaH 40C battery with 3.85 left on it and plugged it in. OK it's not a fully charged battery, but enough to give me an idea.

at WOT it was only pulling 13.8 amps...well short of the 20 amp ESC. Now we know!
Old Jan 02, 2016, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by Tinkersalot
Joined Jan 2016
9 Posts
So you could actually get away with a 1500mah 10c battery. Or increase your fly time with a 2000mah 10c battery, for the same weight as the 40c. ???
Tinkersalot is offline Find More Posts by Tinkersalot
Old Jan 03, 2016, 03:59 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
1,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkersalot View Post
So you could actually get away with a 1500mah 10c battery. Or increase your fly time with a 2000mah 10c battery, for the same weight as the 40c. ???
Doing the math..technically yes...I would at least use a 15 C to allow for servo draw, But this plane is not a high amp usage plane. I think the motor is very underpowered and just doesn't draw much amps. The 10x7 prop really perked the plane up, but I guess there is still room for more!
Old Jan 03, 2016, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
3,190 Posts
I am aware this suggestion will cause some in here to go into apoplexy, but here it is:

Switch the ESC for a 40 amp. Install a 4s 1300 / 1500 / 1800 mAh batt, with a 10x8 ParkZone PKZ1005 or an APC Electric prop.

Beware aileron and elevator flutter above 75% throttle. Keep a close eye on the health of all hinged surfaces, as they will now show where the weakness in the stock assembly lies.

The motor will run very, very well on 4s. It will pull in the region of 24-28 amps on 4s, hence the need for a bigger ESC.

The plane will now be berserk on WOT. Don't say you weren't warned .
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jan 03, 2016, 04:29 PM
Fond of Foam
United States, MD, Ridge
Joined Oct 2015
1,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post
I am aware this suggestion will cause some in here to go into apoplexy, but here it is:

Switch the ESC for a 40 amp. Install a 4s 1300 / 1500 / 1800 mAh batt, with a 10x8 ParkZone PKZ1005 or an APC Electric prop.

Beware aileron and elevator flutter above 75% throttle. Keep a close eye on the health of all hinged surfaces, as they will now show where the weakness in the stock assembly lies.

The motor will run very, very well on 4s. It will pull in the region of 24-28 amps on 4s, hence the need for a bigger ESC.

Sounds like a killer combo! I fly in a somewhat limited area so I like a scale speed so I don't have to make my turns as frequent. Also, I try to keep flying somewhat relaxed, or I get too tense. I bet someone here will be all over that mod though!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:16 AM
Joined Dec 2014
1,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PikeStaff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Flynow View Post
Sounds like a killer combo! I fly in a somewhat limited area so I like a scale speed so I don't have to make my turns as frequent. Also, I try to keep flying somewhat relaxed, or I get too tense. I bet someone here will be all over that mod though!
Like to see video of one modded this way with the control surfaces coming off in flight so I can LMAO.

Flutter is a symptom of several things, but it is mainly a harmonic vibration in the flight or control surface due mainly to either improper maintenance or exceeding Vne. With this mod, one accomplishes both of those causes. To try to eliminate the flutter, I would replace the aileron and elevator servos with higher torque metal gear servos, replace the plastic clevises and horns with metal ones (preferably ball joint), and remove every last bit of slack throughout the entire surface control system. I might also install vortex generators just aft of the wings' leading edges to reduce or eliminate boundary layer separation.

Of course, the simplest and easiest way to eliminate flutter in this case (and most other cases as well) is to not exceed Vne - by tuning down the powerplant to match the airframe's upper design limit. If that still is not fast enough, buy a plane designed for much faster than you wish to fly.

http://www.wired.com/2010/03/flutter-testing-aircraft/

Speaking of mods, when the tail wheel assembly breaks on my new one (and it will), I intend to replace it with the smallest Sullivan steerable tail wheel bracket. It is a superior design over stock.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Crash Override; Jan 16, 2016 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added link