Old Feb 28, 2015, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by epilot
Remote island inhabitant
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
6,363 Posts
Discussion
3D modelling bits for micros

Thanks to very generous help from Graham Stabler I have now cast aside my fear of 3D drawing and have started to muck around with Rhino. There is a lot to learn and moving on from 2D is not entirely effortless. I'm really just trying to come to grips with the basics. My first completed(ish) part is a wing clip. I want to create and 3D print parts for an "Ember" type model. Haven't got a 3D printer yet but will probably buy one soon.

I'm also working on a fuselage drawing. The idea is to slice it into 2D parts that I can then cut on the laser. They will be glued together and sanded smooth to create a plug for molding Depron. I things work out as I hope the will, I should have a range of kits available with molded fuselages. It all hinges on how good at I become at 3D modelling though.
epilot is online now Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2015, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by dsteele37
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Jul 2011
87 Posts
Any idea on what kind of printer you'd be purchasing?
Seems like your doing a good job so far with 3d modeling. I have no experience with rhino, but AutoCAD 2015 makes things real easy for me. One thing I notice on your fuselage though, did you use some sort of curved line as a guide to loft (AutoCAD term, not sure what term is used in rhino) your profiles? The curvature of the very bottom of the fuselage isn't exactly a continuous curve.
Keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing more of your creations!

-Dan
dsteele37 is offline Find More Posts by dsteele37
Old Mar 02, 2015, 04:30 AM
Remote island inhabitant
Joined Nov 2000
6,363 Posts
I'm currently looking at the Velleman K8400 as it is available from Reichelt and they ship to the Faroes at reasonable cost.

The fuselage was just for mucking about with. It was traced from a drawing.

I have access to some tutorials that I will be going through during the next couple of weeks.

What excites me most is the prospect of being able to make 2-piece (clamp) molds fairly quickly and affordably so I can make nice molded Depron fuselages.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 11:59 AM
Joined Jul 2011
87 Posts
Looks like a nice machine and could easily handle what you're trying to do. I'm still in the process of getting my kudo3d Titan printer up and running, but it got shipped to me late for unforeseen reasons, so I'm trying to catch up. I've had similar ideas to what you're trying to do though. It's amazing what these printers can do nowadays!

Mucking about always seemed to work for me, getting a first hand experience and just jumping right in is definitely a way to learn new things, even if it can be overwhelming at times. But like you said, turorials would be the next step, I'm sure YouTube has loads and loads of information that can help!

Affordability with these printers is the most amazing part I think. The program Creation Workshop, which is used for slicing 3d models, has a nice feature where it will tell me the price to make a part based on the volume of the part and the price of resin per liter. A "calibration sample" that is recommended to print first with my Titan printer only cost 3 cents of the total $55 it took to by a liter of resin. It's nice seeing those figures and being able to calculate everything out!
Old Mar 02, 2015, 12:50 PM
Remote island inhabitant
Joined Nov 2000
6,363 Posts
The molds I plan to make are much too big for the 3D printer. They will be cut on the laser as 2D parts and then assembled and sanded smooth.
Old Mar 02, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epilot View Post
I things work out as I hope the will, I should have a range of kits available with molded fuselages.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Mar 02, 2015, 04:50 PM
Remote island inhabitant
Joined Nov 2000
6,363 Posts
Unless learning 3D drawing drives me insane of course....
Old Mar 02, 2015, 05:02 PM
Joined Jul 2011
87 Posts
I have a feeling you'll be a natural haha. Plus you'll have tons of support from fellow members here who can answer any questions you have.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 06:26 AM
Remote island inhabitant
Joined Nov 2000
6,363 Posts
I'm not a natural by a long shot. However I can be persistent at times.

FDM printing is very slow so I will only use that for small parts like motor mounts, gearbox parts, plugs for vac forming etc.
Old Mar 07, 2015, 10:39 AM
Remote island inhabitant
Joined Nov 2000
6,363 Posts
I decided to get a very cheap Prusa i3 type kit. One with a bowden extruder. I really look forward to having a play with it. I have ideas for lots of little useful parts.