Old Jan 14, 2015, 02:56 PM
Find More Posts by Adrianh
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
Build Log
Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF Mk IXc

Hi folks,
It must be many a modellers dream to own and fly a Spitfire. Since the dark days of WW2 the elegant form of the Spitfire has captured the imagination of Friend and Foe, and, after the war years millions of people more have watched with awe the graceful shape of the Spitfire curving through the air.
Richard Wills of Warbird Replicas has produced this kit of a Spitfire that goes together with an ease that can only be described as magical. The wood parts are CNC laser cut with such accuracy that the parts all fit snug together with just enough free play to allow positioning. After assembly the structure is held by its jigs whilst CA adhesive is applied to the joints to complete that parts construction. Quick, easy and above all accurate.
For those reading and wondering if a wood build can be this easy then this is the kit that will show you it is possible!
The following is my build of the latest release of the Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF Mk IXc option for electric power. The kit options also has a power version and many add on components to make the kit as basic or complete as you want. The chosen scheme will most likely be one of the Spitfires flown by 457 Squadron "Grey Nurse" RAAF in tribute to those pilots that flew and fought for our freedom.
Adrianh is offline Find More Posts by Adrianh
Last edited by Adrianh; Jan 14, 2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Adding more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2015, 03:32 PM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
To start the box arrived in quick time encased within a second cardboard box sturdy enough to leave the kit box pristine and unmarked. Opening the box was swiftly followed by a wow that even got SWMBO out off the couch to see what I had made such noise about.
I have been building balsa models now for over 50 years and watched the advances made with keen interest but this kit just blew me away with the quality. The box was full of wood with beautifully thin (@1mm) laser cut parts, ABS mouldings, a substantial pack of small parts and a full size plan with two gloss booklets, one a very comprehensive parts list and the other a full set of building instructions with clear step by step instructions with large clear photos of each step and finally the most gorgeous canopy moulding. This was crystal clear, accurate to shape and protected by a very clingy protective wrapping.
The photos should show just what I saw
Old Jan 15, 2015, 03:50 AM
Find More Posts by TLMARK
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,871 Posts
It's a nice model I have looked at them before but chickened out from lack of experience with balsa builds.

I look forward to following this thread and see how its done. No pressure
TLMARK is online now Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Jan 15, 2015, 05:49 PM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
Hi TLMARK
I am sure you will have no problem with any of these kits as they go together so well. Even the elliptical wing skins are laser cut on this one, and the difficult cowl areas are ABS and sturdy so even easier.
Adrian
Old Jan 15, 2015, 06:25 PM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
I am starting the fuselage build so the first thing is to laminate the ply doublers to the sheet balsa fuselage sides. I used PVA here spread all over the ply as it is not too porous and allows working time to spread it thinly before placing it carefully in position on both sides. Make sure you do a left and right pair. Easily done to do two of the same side so shade areas to be glued to make it easier.
Make sure that the two sides match exactly with a 3mm gap along the top edge and leave them overnight with a heavy weight distributed along the glued areas. Plastic tumblers of water are great for this
Old Jan 15, 2015, 06:36 PM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
Last today is the motor/ battery mounting. All the parts fit perfectly and after a dry fit are glued with your preference of PVA or CA. I have marked the motor centre line on to the electric motor mount as a reference for fitting later. Ensure the adhesive contacts all joined parts and clean off any surplus with a paper towel before it runs or goes off. The fuselage crutch has F7 glued in place ensuring it is vertical.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:22 PM
Find More Posts by Eddie P
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,908 Posts
I must say it's really, really nice to see a kit being built! Well done
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:01 PM
Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Kicking Tires
Joined Jan 2014
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie p View Post
i must say it's really, really nice to see a kit being built! Well done
+1,000,000,000

Alpha.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Old Jan 16, 2015, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by TLMARK
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianh View Post
Hi TLMARK
I am sure you will have no problem with any of these kits as they go together so well. Even the elliptical wing skins are laser cut on this one, and the difficult cowl areas are ABS and sturdy so even easier.
Adrian
You know I might just do that

they are out of stock at the moment
TLMARK is online now Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Jan 16, 2015, 02:17 PM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
So sorry to hear there is nil stock. Hopefully they will have some more ready soon. In the meantime this thread will give a heads up for those wishing to try a wood build. These are just the job for cutting your teeth into some good balsa bashing
Old Jan 16, 2015, 04:46 PM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
Onwards and upwards. I next glued the front fuselage formers F1, F2 in place making sure that the sides are slightly narrower than the fuselage crutch to allow for the ply doublers. As usual ensure that the formers are vertical to the crutch assembly.
The following is my preferred way of joining the fuselage sides to the fuselage crutch: 1/ Wet the area well where the fuselage sides need to bend to match the former contours. 2/ Leave for a few minutes to let the balsa swell and start to bend. 3/ Apply a bead of PVA to the crutch and former which is to be joined. (In this case to just rear of F7). 4/ Fix the first fuselage side in position with just a couple of strips of adhesive tape. 5/ Repeat for the remaining fuselage side. 6/ Use as much tape as necessary to pull each side hard into the fuselage crutch so that it rests nicely on top of the ply doubler and the crutch is flush with the top edge of the fuselage side and do the same for the remaining side. Draw the tape across the fuselage to pull the sides hard into the formers F1, F2, F7. 7/ Remove any surplus adhesive and ensure the fuselage sides are flush with the front of F1 and the tail ends are level at the tail. The rear section will be glued to the crutch when the rear formers are fitted.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 06:34 PM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
Not much I'm afraid. After getting home from my work SWMBO had the evening marked for shopping but progress has been made. The following takes less time than is spent writing it up!.
In my rush to affix the fuselage sides into place I forgot to add the 1/2" triangular section to the lower rear sides. It has not impacted the build as they can be fixed in place easily so could be left to this stage if wanted.
The only tricky bit with the fixing is the cutting out of the end of the triangular section to position over the end of the ply doubler. Simply put the section of strip in place and press down hard so that the ply edge leaves a line in the balsa section to show where it lies. If the line cannot be seen then rub a soft lead pencil along the corner of the plywood as shown in the pic and when the section is pressed down will leave a line on the section. which can then be cut out so the section fits well. Next simply glue the triangular section to the sides ensuring they fit snug over the ply doubler and butts against former F7. pin them to the sides and allow to set.
When set the sides can be glued to the fuselage crutch ensuring the crutch is fixed level with the top of the fuselage sides. Secure with pins/ tape/or clamps until set. Finally the inside edges of the triangular sections can be sanded to allow the rear fuselage taper to match the top.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by CF105
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,654 Posts
Got my attention! I must say, what you've shown thus far reminds me a lot of how the Stevens Aero kits go together. Self-jigging/aligning and quite easy for an inexperienced builder.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Jan 18, 2015, 05:49 AM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
778 Posts
Hi CF105,
Yes, this kit is going together extremely well. Testament to the designers thinking, design and acccuracy of cutting. It ensures that the newcomer to wood building has the most trouble free experience. Model building without the stress.

Adrian
Old Jan 18, 2015, 06:47 AM
Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
704 Posts
Looking great so far, the parts fit seems to be spot on.
Beats the hell out of the old style balsa bashing where almost each & every bit had to be carved, sanded & test fitted 3 or 4 times. Almost makes me nostalgic for the good old days(not really)when dye crushing was cutting edge (excuse the pun) technology. I remember building the old Sterling Spitfire kit a few aeons back...parts fit was a proper nightmare.
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi