Mar 01, 2013, 08:58 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Finally got around to mounting up the E-Flight Power 10.

Static load readings:
With the stock PZ 480 and MAS 10x7x3, HobbyPeople 2200mAh 3s 20c pack
7980 max RPM
20.6A @ 11.54V = 238.7W

With the E-Flight Power 10 and MAS 10x7x3, HobbyPeople 2200mAh 3s 20c pack
9380 max RPM
36.2A @ 11.03V = 398.6W

Using a Castle ICE Light 50 ESC (fits perfectly by the way) and a PZ P-47 Prop adapter, motor is mounted via Custom RC Parts aluminum mount. Flew a couple of packs through it today with the 480 on it, looking forward to trying out the P10 tomorrow. I think it will be darn near unlimited vertical by the feel of the pull on the bench. Must remember to subtract a few min of my timer .
Last edited by dstewart51; Mar 02, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2013, 09:07 PM
Philippians 4:13
hey how do you think that durafly prop would do on the turnigy power10?
Mar 01, 2013, 09:11 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
^ Not sure. I know you would need to upgrade the ESC. I think the Durafly prop will put a bit more load on the motor than the MAS.
Mar 02, 2013, 12:28 AM
Hey guys, just bought a bunch of stuff to light up my T-28 with, decided to pick up a Turnigy G-10 while I was at it. Is the stock ESC and prop going to work, and if not, what will? From my research, I'm fairly certain the motor will bolt directly in, can anyone verify that?
Mar 02, 2013, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn
hey how do you think that durafly prop would do on the turnigy power10?
I have a Turnigy Aerodrive 3536 and it pulls 38+A at full throttle. I put a 45A ESC in the T28. I fly about 8 minutes mixed flying.
Mar 02, 2013, 12:45 AM
When in doubt, gas it!
Yes the G10 will bolt right on and it will work with the stock prop and 30Amp ESC. Static loading is very near 30 Amps if not just over with that combo. The E-Flight 30A ESC has a 15 sec 35A rating.

Keep in mind the shaft is 5mm, the stock 480 is 4mm. So you will need a 5 to 8mm prop adapter.
Last edited by dstewart51; Mar 02, 2013 at 12:51 AM.
Mar 02, 2013, 11:14 AM
Curious about that durafly 3 blade prop. How does it fly compared to the stock prop? I really like the look of it. Also how to you balance plane props? never had to do it..
thanks
christian
Mar 02, 2013, 06:09 PM
I just want to go fly!
orangephoner, im taking 18 yes 18 batteries out tomorrow and going to run all them through the t-28 with durafly 3 blade! ill let you know how it goes. going to be about 10 plus mph wind but i dont care. so excited to test this new prop. static WOT was 29 amps give or take so it sounds safe to me... im not a WOT guy so they will be 3/4 throttle flights with small bursts here and there. cant wait! i have 10 1s batts for the micro t-28 to finish off the morning! its going to be a serious TROJAN day... 28 flights for the red and white! walt. balancing is easy with a dubro balancer or similar. youtube is your friend. i use scotch tape on the back side. cant see it and easy to add and remove. ALL props should be balance checked!IMHO.
Mar 02, 2013, 08:16 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
Got a few flights in today with the E-Flight Power 10. WOW!

If its not unlimited vertical its darn close. I chickened out after about 8-10 seconds of vertical climb and it was getting kind of small. Talk about the biggest loops EVER! It wasn't stupid fast, just lots of thrust and a bit more top end speed. I like it!

I set my timer to 8 min and had 15-25% left in the 2200mAh packs.
Mar 03, 2013, 10:37 AM
can you guys please tell me what dual rates and expo your flying with or whats recomended?
thanks in advance.
Mar 03, 2013, 10:42 AM
Right Rudder
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH GORDON
can you guys please tell me what dual rates and expo your flying with or whats recomended?
thanks in advance.
I just setup all my "Physical" control horn / linkages as per the Manual and have not fooled with any Dual Rates or Expo.
Mar 03, 2013, 11:06 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
I just setup all my "Physical" control horn / linkages as per the Manual and have not fooled with any Dual Rates or Expo.
If you are not familiar with dual rates, I would recommend doing what manual says and setting expo at about 30. (spectrum radios +30) Especially for ailerons and elevator.
Once you get to know the plane you can add or subtract from that.
Rob
Mar 03, 2013, 11:36 AM
A disaster in the making.
Hi guys.
Just ordered the T28 as an advanced low wing trainer to take over from my HZ Supercub.

Also have a Durafly Skyraider which I attempted to fly straight from the cub. You can guess what happened. Far too fast and scale handling made for one takeoff and no landing.

Have a DX6i and have never messed with expo or dual rates, figuring my thumbs would be better learning without assistance. Have a spare Orange R615 Rx for it plus a HK 3A BEC that I intend to fit. Have several turnigy 2200/35C batteries that I use in the cub and spad, what connector comes with the Trojan?
I have some male XT60s kicking around but will I need to get the soldering iron out.

So any tips, how slow will it fly and still handle from the point of view of a cub flyer, How about p factor on takeoff? Any advice gratefully received

Just trying to get as much info as poss while waiting for postie to deliver the box.

Thanks.
Mar 03, 2013, 12:06 PM
I just want to go fly!
mission accomplished! 18 flights with the durafly 3 blade. pulled like a train and made the MAS 3 blade seem silly. ill be ordering more of these. amazing! about same times with better pull. too windy for relaxing flight but it was a blast. finished off with 10 micro t-28 flights.
Mar 03, 2013, 12:23 PM
They call me Lipo...
DnB,

A hearty welcome to the T-28 thread ! Your're in the place that's gonna get you to the Spad....she'll be fine until you're ready for her

Please don't get caught up in all the modding going on over here; most of these crazy guys are folks who have been flying their T-28's for along time (some of them for years) and are experimenting with turning their sedate trainers into pylon racers ! You will see some monster T-28's over here; you'll also see some casual Sunday morning flyers over here too. But mostly, you'll see alot of folks who just love this fine flying model and desperately want others to experience the same. The PZ T-28 isn't just another RC model; it's iconic....THIS is the standard by which other low-wing aileron trainers are measured.

I fly mine with XT-60 connectors as well. I just like the feel of them and the way they go together. The 30amp E-flite ESC comes with EC-3 connectors. I personally don't like 'em which is why I changed. Sounds like you have a bunch of great batteries to start out with: trust me, you're gonna need 'em --- lots of 'em !

Since you're flying a Dx6i, there will be alot of talk about expo and such. My personal recommendation, is not to worry about it for now. Just get the bird and fly it as is...that's the only way you'll truly train your thumbs. On Saturdays I fly with some serious 3D guys...I'm talking 6 foot wingspan, 30-50CC types, and they all say the same thing; "expo, naw, I don't like it, 'cuz it doesn't give you the true feel for the plane". I just flew with them yesterday and literally just had a conversation with them about the subject not 24 hours ago. But, as I've been chastised on this very thread for making similar comments, I DON'T CARE; I don't recommend expo for newer pilots. Get the "real" feel of the model first and go from there. But to each his/her own. Do as you wish and feel; it is your model and it's your flying skills that you are trying to hone. Although I'm a fairly new convert to this whole electric thing (a little more than a year ago), I'm not new to RC flying. I cut my teeth flying with my father back in the late 70's and learnt to fly on single channel "Apex" radios....when I got better, I moved on to two channel sytems and went from there...those were the days !

I hope my buddies Carlos (PittSpecial) and Walt (walter3rd) chime in here and help you. And please, there's many, many others who are going to help, but I know Carlos has been flying his for over 6 years (the SAME MODEL if you can believe it !) and Walt has been flying the wings off of his and usually flys 8 or more batteries through his PER SESSION !

Here's some pics of me enjoying the little plane:
http://www.bakehead.com/09_08_12/Joh..._09_08_12.html

Sorry for the long-winded post, but glad to see you over here: remember, we're here for you !

John
Last edited by Justwingit; Mar 03, 2013 at 12:57 PM.

Quick Reply