HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Discussion
right rudder causing left wing drop

OK i have an aresti 40 and having a little trouble getting it setup first of all it flys inverted with just a little bit of elevator input. but when i was attempting knife edge coming across the field from right to left it really wants to fall from the sky and if i give it to much right rudder it makes the left wing want to roll . so i came across level flight full speed and gave it hard right rudder and the left wing drops and the plane dives to the left pulled an up line which requires right rudder (still haven't got the thrust issue worked out already have like 4 degrees right thrust ) anyway apply right rudder and the plane while climbing up acts like i give left input and does a perfect left turn and heads for the ground ... any ideas ....

Thanks in advance
markhodges78 is offline Find More Posts by markhodges78
Last edited by markhodges78; Sep 30, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Apr 2013
266 Posts
Most smaller aircraft have similar cross coupling.....but with today radio it's family easy to removed......now of course I would work on the setup and this for me could be the very last thing that I take care of......the C&G could affect this....aileron differential could help....ect there's quite a few other possibilities. Check the C&G by climbing 45 degree roll inverted with full throttle.....see what the plane does it should keep climbing for a little while...
Dansy is online now Find More Posts by Dansy
Old Sep 30, 2013, 06:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
I dont think its a cg issue as i mentioned above the plane fly's inverted pretty much hands off this problem has something to do with right rudder input
Old Oct 01, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, NY, Ossining
Joined Aug 2003
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhodges78 View Post
OK i have an aresti 40 and having a little trouble getting it setup first of all it flys inverted with just a little bit of elevator input.
any ideas ....

Thanks in advance
<Many would call this tail heavy. This can make things very touchy with elevator and rudder which is exaggerating the roll coupling. Try moving the cg forward a good chunk and see how it feels. Keep going until it starts to get mushy. Remember trimming is a verb and the day you sell it is the day you stop trimming. Don't worry about how much elevator it takes to fly inverted. I have a few extra degrees of down and a few percent less down expo on all my planes.>
Anthonyr is offline Find More Posts by Anthonyr
Old Oct 01, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Jul 2011
126 Posts
It's called induced roll ... add a mix, rudder as master and aileron as slave, rudder gives ailerons, fine tune it, every plane as induced roll, more or less but they almost all have a little tendency to it, especially aerobatic plane, little RC "toys" and full scale too .... the mix will take care of it. CG has to be set properly too ...
flydynamics is online now Find More Posts by flydynamics
Old Oct 01, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2007
191 Posts
If the airplane rolls opposite your rudder input it's known as adverse roll. Rolling in the direction of your rudder input is proverse roll. Try a small mix...in your case, 1 or 2% right aileron with right rudder.
Flyer1950 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer1950
Old Oct 01, 2013, 10:00 PM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Thanks for the input guys I understand a little bit of what your saying but whats crazy is I can give full left rudder and the plane rolls a little to the left but right aileron takes care of that but if I give it full right rudder the left wring drops hard and the plane dives to the left hard and the aileron does not help this... I will try to get a video of this
Last edited by markhodges78; Oct 02, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 09:09 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
272 Posts
It's one "contrary induced roll",
it's caused by a not proper dihedral build in project (in this case low dihedral angle ).
It's a common problem with some little planes.
You can correct it with a proper RUD-->Ail mix.
rosnik is offline Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Oct 05, 2013, 05:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
i do believe the main wing has negative dihedral that's what i was told when i bought the plane