HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:04 AM
Norway, Oslo
Joined Nov 2014
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
I'm not stressing if i'd had to tape some lead to the tail to balance it. It has a big wingspan, should handle some weight.
Avoid the deadweight. Instead, rip out the elevator and rudder servos and their foam support from their under-wing location, and replace them with (ideally) better metal gear servos placed right in the tail. You can route the wires through the body (all described in this thread). That will make it possible to install your big battery sufficiently towards the rear that you get the right CG. A 4S 5Ah fits fine, at least, but I think you could do more. (4S needs a new motor controller)
egilk is offline Find More Posts by egilk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2014, 07:19 PM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Sep 2001
460 Posts
Field assembly a nightmare

I have assembled my Eye Sky but connecting the Aileron and Flap leads just before snugging up the wings is a real pain. Other than changing the length of the leads coming from the servos and setting the female servo leads in the fuse so they are acting like fixed plugs for the shortened AIL and Flap leads to plug into, Has anyone come up with an easier way to transport the Eye Sky with the wings removed?

My Tahoe is big enough to carry it assembled but my Mitsubishi MIEV is not. I prefer driving the MIEV for obvious economy reasons.
kd4gfy is offline Find More Posts by kd4gfy
Old Dec 20, 2014, 02:17 AM
dl7
Germany, Berlin
Joined Aug 2013
127 Posts
Perhaps the first mod shown here can help:

SkyEye setup for fpv and battery escape ramp (3 min 31 sec)

Have a nice day
dl7
dl7 is offline Find More Posts by dl7
Old Dec 20, 2014, 05:13 AM
Joined Sep 2001
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl7 View Post
Perhaps the first mod shown here can help:

http://youtu.be/3FaRlYUeKPE

Have a nice day
dl7
Thanks for the reply. I would like a cleaner setup than that.

My VTX cloverleaf antenna is internal and upside down against the bottom of the interior. This eliminates the dead spot overhead and makes for better range. Never found a need for a capacitor to clean up power for the video in 12+ fpv units I have made.

The only time I have had external antennas is when I use my 433mhz long range system.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 05:03 PM
Joined Sep 2001
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by engnr View Post
Hi guys

Update from me since my posts a few weeks ago. So I got my Purple Power motor, turns out I bought the 910kv motor by accident (HK product page says 910kv however as we all know from this thread the actual motor says 1200kv on it). I flew it last week without realising and on 4S at full power with the stock 8" prop it barely flew. I think it worked out for the best though becuase it forced me to learn how to use ecalc.ch and figure out what was going wrong!

So fast forward to today and I have gotten hold of the aluminium CNC'd motor mount someone found near the start of this thread, and put on a 10x5 propeller. Calculations show that on 4S I'm getting max power of 465 watts and a thrust to weight ratio of 1 : 1.10 (IIRC) - with an assumed AUW of 2kg (roughly double the power of a stock SkyEye on 3s I think). Works out at about 83% efficiency.

I also copied the ideas in this thread to mount the ESC on the 'outside' and to make servo sockets in the side of the fuze. These both worked really well especially the servo sockets, such a good idea. Before it was just a mess of servo extensions inside the fuz.

OK so here's some pictures. Once I'm happy with it's flying stage 2 will be to upgrade the servos to Hitec metal gear and adding a basic 5.8ghz FPV setup. Ultimately stage 3 will be to add HKPilot (APM) 2.7 with all the bells and whistles. It'll take me a while though as all that stuff is going to be quite expensive

One last note - that motor mount is really superb. I thought it wasn't going to be very secure but it's rock solid when epoxied in. Bought it from Small Parts CNC on eBay, helpful guy and international postage was fast.
How do you plan on putting the APM near the CG of the plane. Been trying to get my mind wrapped round this problem. The only way I have come up with is cutting a door in the side of the fuse under the wing and installing it through the door.

I have a fixed 600TVL camera board mounted on the front former with a little down angle. My 5.8ghz 600mw VTX is right behind the former with a cloverleaf ant pointing down and mounted internally. No plans yet on how to install the 3D radio for communicating with the APM.

When and if I get the APM setup, the GPS will be on the top inside of the canopy with copper shielding tape underneath it.

Want to keep the external as clean as possible.