Closed Thread
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:16 AM
Demonstrations on Saturdays!
United States, CA, Woodland
Joined Jan 2012
420 Posts
Help!
Let's play "What are these!"

Got a 150 size P-51 in a raffle some time back and have always wondered what these components are.

The 2 with JR wires were marked for retracts, mechanics each having a servo.

The Futaba wired one has nothing.

None have names, numbers or any other clue. The only clue I can share is the builder was a 42 percent products fan as a flap had one of their servo reversers on it and the receiver battery was one of theirs as well.

All the parts were in a bag tucked in the fuse. That's all I can tell you. Appreciate the input in advance.

Thanks,
Craig
gravityking is offline Find More Posts by gravityking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:21 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,185 Posts
Bottom one looks like a gear sequencer or something to slow down the gear. Top may be the same, one's a gear door sequencr anad the other a slow down fo rhte gear?
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:40 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Bottom one looks like a gear sequencer or something to slow down the gear. Top may be the same, one's a gear door sequencr anad the other a slow down fo rhte gear?
I think you've nailed it.

If the OP doesn't know, the belly doors open as the main gear moves either direction, then close for better air flow. The resistors just make the gear move in a more realistic manner. Cool stuff.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wheeling and dealing..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
420 Posts
Well thanks to you both. I was in that line of thinking myself except for the fact there are no gear doors on this model. But the retract servos are JR 791's and only run on 4.8v. Thought it might be a safety if not a time delay type of thing.

OK without the shrink wrap I see they are both 42 Percent products. One they still offer. The one with the Futaba wires is a "1.5 amp 5 v Ignition regulator". Pretty self explanatory but the model came with a glow engine without a glow driver, weird.

The Hitec wired ones are still a mystery. They are marked on the circuit board as "1.5A Ign-Reg. As previously stated they were marked for the retracts so I guess they could be "slow down" resistors. Can anybody agree?
Last edited by gravityking; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:03 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,509 Posts
Inline voltage drop down regulators. They drop 5 cell and LiIon voltage down to under 6v for ignition systems that are designed for 4 cell batteries.

http://www.42-percent-products.com/p...s_fameset.html
select Spark Plug Systems and scroll down you'll see it.

Edit: Regulator is something of a misnomer, they use a diode or diodes to drop the voltage, there's no real regulator, if you put a higher input you get a higher output where as a regulator will have a steady output as long as the input is anywhere in it's spec'd range
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
Amp'd up.

Well, color me smarter ! I had no idea they were regulators...

These threads can educate us so much.
I have a question along those lines.....Why would you install a 6 volt battery, then reduce the output to 4.8 ? Where's the wisdom in that ? Wouldn't a high capacity 4.8 volt battery be a better idea ?

Sometimes I think we're using electronic gadgetry because 'it's there'..

It's akin to carrying an extra 5 gallons of gas in your car,in the trunk,with a full tank...-You have the extra gas, but you can't use it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:29 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,509 Posts
Couple of reasons.
1 ignition systems often dont like over 6 volts, thats the intent of that in the first place, so you can run a 5 cell pack for nose weight in a warbird, or a 2 cell A123 for weight savings and fast charging.

There's also a number of mechanical retract servos that don't dig over 4 cell pack voltage.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2012
420 Posts
In this models case it was the retract servos, JR 791's, don't like over 4.8 or so.

You're right Cuda in that I put a 6.0v Life one one and got 4.8 out then put on a 7.4v lipo and got an equivalent ratio of voltage drop.

I use 6v packs for increased servo speed because I'm to cheap to buy the servos that are fast on 4v packs!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9,200 Posts
Okay, thanks...I'm still using 4.8 packs at 2.5 A.

I don't need fast or powerful....I'm just a circle flyer, with scale planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Jan 2012
420 Posts
JUST a circle flyer. JUST? You know how important you guys are? If it weren't for you the newbies wouldn't be able to follow the pattern!

As for speed and power I don't need them either. Just gotta' have it!
Closed Thread