SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2013, 07:16 PM
Blenheim, NZ
Joined Dec 2007
1,198 Posts
Well done Mike.

A great effort Mike. I love the look of the JS 1 wing. Tough to build but worth it.
Did you build these on a commercial basis? Or more like a club project for you mates? I take it you don't need three for yourself.

Allan
AllanK1 is offline Find More Posts by AllanK1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:53 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK1 View Post
A great effort Mike. I love the look of the JS 1 wing. Tough to build but worth it.
Did you build these on a commercial basis? Or more like a club project for you mates? I take it you don't need three for yourself.

Allan
Hi Allan,
From the get go it makes no sense to make a plug and a mold for a fuselage if the glider is going to be a one off.
Being a South African sailplane I was confident a few fellow scale pilots would like one ,I made a few phone calls to flying buddies and had two very interested parties, both of whom offered deposits. I declined and financed the gliders right up to the last week and was then paid after they seemed more than happy with the results. This was another reason I went for a smaller 1/4 scale rather than a larger version, easy to transport even in a car. I charged about 1000 US dollars a plane and that was in a ready to fly state with big 2800mah Nicd battery pack and all mg digital servos installed and pre setup.
As the deadline put huge self emposed stress on me I would not try build 5 gliders simultaneousely again....ever , not sure if anyone noticed the odd wings in some of the pics but a lovely 3mtr Swift also came out the "factory" at the same time.
Really going to take a break from build threads ,mine are starting to all look the same like a stuck record, going to fly more and talk less
regards
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Old Sep 27, 2013, 07:17 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Some Cell phone video's

Here are some short cell phone video's
Mike's JS 1 C maiden launch (0 min 18 sec)
Js 1 C 1/4 scale fly past (0 min 38 sec)
flypast2 avi (1 min 25 sec)

Baie dankie Chris .
Last edited by mikegbogh; Sep 27, 2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:05 PM
registered weapon
United States, MT
Joined Mar 2008
3,293 Posts
Very cool Mike! Nice day to soar on the ridge. She looks so beautiful in the sky. Thanks for posting those videos.
IHAVAWDY is offline Find More Posts by IHAVAWDY
Old Sep 28, 2013, 01:54 PM
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
Congratulations Mike, great to see another one of your scratch build gliders fly. What is next? Sling 4 as a tow plane?
snarf007 is offline Find More Posts by snarf007
Old Oct 01, 2013, 11:01 PM
United States, AR
Joined Jan 2010
517 Posts
EPIC!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. I know how much work it is to post these build logs. Thanks for the great explanation of the silicone hinges.
ingrahal is offline Find More Posts by ingrahal
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:04 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
Getting to grips with things

Hi All,
This build thread is over and now its flying time, the maiden went off well as per the previous posts , but the JS1 was all new and flying was all on the cautious side. Last weekend I had the JS1 on a local slope in a fresh 30km/h wind with nice fast moving thermals comming through, the pilot was removed and I was sure that during the maidens I was on the nose heavy side of things.
Anyway the Pilot out saves about 150 grams in the nose and launching into some good air the JS just flew out and upwards balance probably spot on now.

Sharing the air was my flying partner Norbert with an older F3B glider and together we worked several thermals, sometimes I was going from horizon to 400mtrs in a few minutes , as the thermals get blown back I would dive down and go out into the valley and catch the next one. Through all flight stages from hanging tight turns in the thermals to high speed passes the JS1 is an absolute pleasure to fly ,there is no doubt I got this one right.
After an hour and 5 minutes I landed in a small patch of grass just before some rocks .Lucky spot landing.

During our chat after flying, Norbert stated that when we were working the thermals he had trouble climbing above 200 mtrs (talking vario) and he just could not match the JS1 which just kept climbing easily to 400mtrs.
I did not know we were competing but the JS1 does the trick.

At 6.6kg and a span of 5.25 mtrs I have not worked out the wing loading but would guess in the 60 to 75grams/dmsq it certainly has a very wide speed range
and with say a kg of balast would really come alive in strong slope conditions.
I look forward to the next outing, hopefully get some on board video .
cheers
Mike
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:35 AM
North Yorkshire UK, on a big hill facing the prevailing wind. Coincidence?
Joined Oct 2007
915 Posts
Great to have more feedback on this fab ship Mike, and you did a good job painting a picture of your flight.

I've noticed too that bigger models seem to have a proportionately higher ceiling than smaller ones. This is often masked by the fact that bigger models look closer and so lower than smaller ones, so you only get to find out how high they really are with an altimeter.

10 years ago I got caught in strong wave lift at my local slope with a similar sized (5m) model. Despite full flaps, brakes, u/c down, tight sideslips, I lost visual at about 950m height - it continued getting sucked up to 1,250m (I could hear the vario screaming but had no idea where it was). Luckily the wave band moved and I caught sight of it a few minutes later when the canopy flashed in the sun, half a mile downwind. A terrifying (and strictly in the UK, illegal) flight and the reason I now never fly on big wave days. One of the guys at the full-size club on the same hill made 28,000ft+ that day, and their record in wave is 33,000ft+.

Look forward to seeing some more video Mike.
Sutton Bank is offline Find More Posts by Sutton Bank
Old Oct 22, 2013, 01:53 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts

I enjoyed this thread!
Beautiful!!
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
Old May 06, 2014, 09:29 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,038 Posts
JS1B maidened

Hi All,
I built in this group 3 gliders a stretched C version at 5.25 meter span and 2 other B versions with a 4.5mtr span which is a nice easy to handle size but still with big glider feel when flying.

Anyway on our recent slope trip we maidened the second JS1B which belongs to Chris, he did the flying and I the throwing, wow what an easy maiden.

This smaller glider really performs and I was amazed at how silent it is when it passes overhead at speed, it makes non of the wind sounds I am used to.

Anyway Chris seemed happy with the first flight.

regards
Mike

SAM 4789 (0 min 14 sec)