HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2004, 08:11 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Newbie: quick EP 10?

Hi all,

Another newbie, sorry... I want to get into electric helicopters and have been following the micros and others for about a year. The quick EP 10 looks so awesome that I think I will finally take the plunge...

A few questions first:
In the last year I have built sailboats, submarines and planes. Is this copter too much for me to attemt to build with no prior experience? Is it also too much to hope that I can actually learn on this copter? My ambition is to learn to hover and move around. 3D some day would be great, but I won't cry if I never get there... One of the reasons I like the quick is that I would like something relatively stable and that could handle conditions other than 'no wind'...

Thanks for the help,
eric
CA'ed fingers is online now Find More Posts by CA'ed fingers
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:46 AM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2004
529 Posts
May I suggest the LMH Corona? I, like you, am a newbie and was outside myself after seeing the EP 10. To learn on it though, is another story. If $$$ is no object, go for it but I hope your pocketz are deep like Mr Gates because it's gonna cost lots of $$$ to repair after crashes and you WILL CRASH! I'd suggest reading http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html as well as http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=233655 prior to attempting flight or even buying for that fact. The Quick is not super expensive and parts aren't hard to come by but it's quite a bit of heli for a newbie. Ask me how I know... I have a Corona and an EP 10 but I haven't fired up the 10 yet. I'm gonna get the art of heli flying down with the Corona and THEN I'll throw the blades on the Quick and give it a go. You obviously make the decision but just remember that we're always a victim of our own circumstance. Corona 1st is just my 1/2 cent.
txkawboi is offline Find More Posts by txkawboi
Last edited by txkawboi; Jun 04, 2004 at 08:58 AM. Reason: correct grammar
Old Jun 04, 2004, 08:51 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Oct 2002
1,024 Posts
Corona!
Blackbird is offline Find More Posts by Blackbird
Old Jun 04, 2004, 10:04 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Hi guys, thanks for the help!

Yep, well the Corona is for sure the logical choice right? Like I said, I have been following these threads for over a year and it is always the recomended bird for newbies... But the Quickie is SOOOO sexy...

txkawboi, thanks for the threads, I will start reading those...

Anybody willing to go against the usual flow and recomend the Quikie for a newbie?

eric
Old Jun 04, 2004, 10:12 AM
Crash Test Dummy
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2004
529 Posts
If your pockets are deep enough, go for the Quick. Just keep in mind that although it'z relatively inexpensive to setup, it costz much more than a Corona to repair. So, with that in mind, go for it.
txkawboi is offline Find More Posts by txkawboi
Old Jun 04, 2004, 11:10 AM
Spring Valley. MN
Joined Jun 2000
4,458 Posts
Eric,

The Quick would be an ok choice if you have some one local to help you out in making sure that it is setup properly, and possibly to trim it out for you. It's not that learning on the quick is impossible it's just going to be more expensive and your advancment may be slower due to the fear of crashing.
buzzsaw 46 is offline Find More Posts by buzzsaw 46
Old Jun 04, 2004, 02:32 PM
Acadiana
Joined Oct 2003
158 Posts
The EP10 is not a heli for a newbie - you have to have built other helis to know what needs to be done to assemble and trim this heli safely. Whether or not you can afford to crash it is not the point. You basically get a box of pretty nice looking parts and some rather limited assembly information. Without sufficient prior experience you WILL make mistakes that could make this a very dangerous machine to fly. Plus, it doesn't hurt to have a few spare pieces of hardware around to help complete the projects - there is always an odd metric bolt or two that goes missing.
Start with the Corona if for no other reason than to learn basic heli assembly and setup - I promise you that you will always be fond of that LMH machine, especially if you get a nice fuselage for it later.
Good Luck
R
raytor is offline Find More Posts by raytor
Old Jun 04, 2004, 03:43 PM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Hi again,

Well, here is the score:

As usual, I fell for the sexy bird and placed my order for EP 10. But, all your help was not in vain as I will probably be looking to purchase a 'pre-owned' Corona to practice with and re-sell to another Newbie down the road.

So phase 1: look at the shiny new heli parts that I should receive next week. Start assembly of what looks obvious, ask questions for the rest.
Phase 2: look for a big brother in the Montreal area that knows his stuff and can help
Phase 3: look for a Corona
Phase: build, practice, fly, crash, repair, wait for parts, start threads on ezone asking for help....

By the way, I am pretty busy with my subs and planes (oh yeah, work and girlfriend too), so I am no hurry to learn to fly this. Just looking at the shiny parts will keep a smile on my face for a few months...

Thanks to all and will keep you posted,
eric
Old Jun 04, 2004, 08:44 PM
Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Joined Sep 2003
935 Posts
Hi There,

I started out with a hornet but the price performance ratio didn't make any sense. So I sold the hornet and I am now practicing on my quick 10.

The best tip I can give you is to study the manual in depth. Having said that the manual sucks. So research the build threads for the quick.

Count your parts before building, mine was missing parts along with other people. The LHS replaced them but had to wait awhile.

As for flying I made my own training pod using wooden dowels and practice golf balls and I practice on RealFlight G2.

I hope this helps...drop me a pm if you need any hints.

Cheers,

Gord.
gwong is offline Find More Posts by gwong
Old Jun 04, 2004, 11:56 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
The 10 is a nice heli but is for builders with some heli experiance.

Sexy though, you bet!

Learn and crash the Corona, fly the Quick.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jun 05, 2004, 02:06 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2004
90 Posts
My 2 cents

I too have been looking at the Quick. But I started with a JR Voyager E. a long time ago. I also fly a LOGO 10 which I love and a new Shogun or Zomm 400. The corona is definantly a cheap way to get going. But I elected to go with a ship that allowed me to build a fully functional CP heli with CCPM swash too. The Voyager was VERY easy to build and parts are lower than most fully functional heli's of it's size. I still have 2 Voyagers to this day and I fly them a lot.

I would recommend building that Quick and putting it on a shelf. Give the blades to a friend so you won't be tempted to fire it up. I can almost guarantee that once you learn to hover the Corona you will try the quick and put it in the ground..

Be smart and be safe...

Mark
theviper is offline Find More Posts by theviper
Old Jun 05, 2004, 04:27 PM
United States, AL, Dothan
Joined Jan 2003
129 Posts
I will go against the grain, cause well, I like to.

I think it's up to you to judge, if you think you have the patience and necessary attention to detail, then why not? I would definately say get on a simulator first, and know all the orientations. But if you can fly very well on the simulator and have the time and money, why not get the quick?

Don't get me wrong, the easier safer route is definately the corona, but hey it's not for everybody.
physics_nut is offline Find More Posts by physics_nut
Old Jun 05, 2004, 04:39 PM
Where did that tree come from?
New Holland, PA USA
Joined Aug 1999
559 Posts
I think the advice of learning on the Corona is good. Trust me, I flew one of the first Quick EPs in the country, helped with it's configuration, created one of the first Quick 18 conversions to electric and Fred is right. Learn on the Corona, get some help with the Quick build, and then after you have mastered hovering and some FF, sell the Corona cause after flying a CP heli, FP becomes a novelty.

The EP is a great heli, although a little heavy, but flys great. Be patient and break the Corona; save the pretty one for later.

BTW: Also, get a simulator....
pequeajim is offline Find More Posts by pequeajim
Old Jun 07, 2004, 09:16 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Feb 2003
1,907 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm a pretty patient guy and very disciplined, I don't forsee too much trouble in building the Quick and using it as decoration until I feel up to it... It will give me an incentive to learn... So once my Visa goes down a bit, I'll look for a used Corona...

What simulator would you recommend? I have an EVO9 radio, I should be able to interface it to the simulator right?

Thx,
eric
Old Jun 08, 2004, 09:08 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2004
90 Posts
Simulator

Hands down the best one out there is the Real Flight G2.. It is REALLY feature packed and easy to use. You can use the mock controler it comes with or plug in your radio. You may need an adapter for your model?? There are some other cheaper sims out there. Al lot of them on Ebay. But if you can get the Real Flight G@ then do it.. In the end. Any of them should work for you. All you need to do is get your orientation and basics down.

Mark
theviper is offline Find More Posts by theviper