HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:05 PM
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Discussion
Air Hogs Cyberhawk - a toy before its time..

Another Petey treasure makes its way out of a southern swing state to begin a new life of... RC conversion? I would love to stick to alternative energy for flapping.. First however she will get micro elevons for controlled pneumatic flight. Huge props/wings to my bud Petey!

Air Hogs Cyberhawk Ornithopter 2013 (1 min 45 sec)
samson55 is offline Find More Posts by samson55
Last edited by samson55; Jun 14, 2013 at 09:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:08 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson55 View Post
Another Petey treasure makes its way out of a southern swing state to begin a new life of... RC conversion? I would love to stick to alternative energy for flapping.. First however she will get micro elevons for controlled pneumatic flight. Huge props/wings to my bud Petey!
Hey man did you fly already??
Machy2k is online now Find More Posts by Machy2k
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Not yet buddy - opened it, sat it next to my orni's, kissed the wife goodbye, and hopped into my coworkers car for a dinner meeting in Chicago.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:17 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Not yet buddy - opened it, sat it next to my orni's, kissed the wife goodbye, and hopped into my coworkers car for a dinner meeting in Chicago.
o.k. I am about to go Flap the Green Sunbird, assembling the Parkhawk 1 tonight..
have Fun..
Petey...
Old Jun 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
I am amazed at this bird. A bit heavy, but most of that = strength.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
o.k. I am about to go Flap the Green Sunbird, assembling the Parkhawk 1 tonight..
have Fun..
Petey...
Full flight report!! Hit that glide lock - once you nail it up high, it's a cool feeling seeing it glide around. We still need to make XL wings.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:13 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Full flight report!! Hit that glide lock - once you nail it up high, it's a cool feeling seeing it glide around. We still need to make XL wings.
Well Just call me the Mechanic, my first flight was spectacular, I did hit the glide lock and the bird flipped over, I could not recover and it came down, no damage,,yay...
I flew for a while longer, this is the first time I got to run a full pack through, it seemed like forever.
I noticed the bird has a right turn tendency, and later (thinking it may be wing balance) I noticed the Rudder Servo horn is not on the output shaft straight. so when you look at the horn from the side of the Servo it is leaning right,, so I have to fix that.
I went to fly another pack and I plugged my jst connector in backwards, which made the bird flap! (No failsafe backwards I guess) stripping the gear!!

Ok I can fix it, and without doing a full test.. my electronics seem fine..taking out the screws now, what keeps me going is the improvements that I see.
can anyone tell me what to check to make sure cg is good.//
Petey..
Definitely l8r..
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Dang man - all the minor rashes during all your flights!
I recall Sean stating that the CG is never a concern if you keep the electronics in their appropriate areas. Make sure your glide lock is working by hand first. I noticed I had to adjust the screw a little each time. Did your wings get stuck downwards? I wish I could figure out your glide lock issue.... I really only bought the sunbird because of its size and glide ability. Glad she is OK though! We need stronger gears - aka aluminum. I bet there is a website with Cad to CNC ordering etc. hmm
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Also for the rudder horn - just take it off and flip it around completely (while powered on and centered). Sometime that allows you to put it on straight.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:19 PM
Ft Lauderdale, FL.
Joined Jan 2007
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Also for the rudder horn - just take it off and flip it around completely (while powered on and centered). Sometime that allows you to put it on straight.
Hey Sam no man Stronger gears will make something else break, the Rudder Horn is sitting on the top of the servo with one side higher than the other, it otherwise is straight for it's designated direction..(if that makes sense)
The problem this time was how did I plug a Jst connector in backwards, I am stronger than I thought, but guess what, All fixed babee!! cleaning up now and fixing the tail...

Putting this in the Sunbird thread...
Last edited by Machy2k; Jun 13, 2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 09:43 PM
Northwestern Illinois
Joined Jan 2003
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machy2k View Post
Well Just call me the Mechanic...

can anyone tell me what to check to make sure cg is good.//
Petey..
Definitely l8r..
Machy2k
The CG does not appear to be as critical to an ornithopter as it is for a fixed wing. One similarity is tail heavy results in a bad flight regardless of wing type. On days of higher wind speeds I place the battery as far forward as the mounting Velcro will allow. On calmer days I still only move it back an inch. CG adjustment is partially personal preference, my opinion is heavy on the nose for a SK ornithopter. Play with the position, you’ll find a happy place.
Have Luck
n553302 is offline Find More Posts by n553302
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Edit - Vimeo clip recompiling
Last edited by samson55; Jun 14, 2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Flight report - I fell in love with the Cyberhawk today. Wow it does fly amazing. I set the tail to a small degree of turn, pumped about 60 times until the relief valve hissed. After one more check I tossed and she climbed and circled perfectly! So far I am going to toss a UMX servo brick on its back, 30mah 1cell, and set up some elevons on the spare tail.. Still scheming a way to mod the motor for electric, CO2, or something that will offer controlled power and longer duration.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Jan 2008
568 Posts
Air Hogs Cyberhawk Ornithopter (0 min 33 sec)

Low res clip from the above HD Vimeo vid