HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
1 Posts
Discussion
Beginner advice

I was planning on starting my RC airplane hobby this summer with a nice easy to fly trainer. Yesterday I was practically GIVEN a Habu! I have a lot of simulator time on it (Phoenix) but I'm nervous about taking it up. Any thoughts?
arpeggio22 is offline Find More Posts by arpeggio22
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 04:23 PM
Banzai Institute
United States, NY, West Seneca
Joined Oct 2005
553 Posts
Hello arpeggio22, My advice would be to start with the trainer. You can find a nice looking one, there are enough of them out there. You should probably start at your local RC hobby shop, that way you can get sound advice and develop a relationship with them. Stay with electric if you want to fly jets. Pick a radio system that has the ability to hook up a trainer cord. Your trainer should have a symmetrical wing with ailerons and a rudder. Next join the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) they are our national governing body. That will get you liability insurance that will permit you to fly at sanctioned fields. And lastly join a local RC club. You now will have everything you need to become a successful RC pilot. Your club members will teach you to fly using the trainer cord so you will not wreck your airplane while learning. You will solo before you know it. After that you can be on your own. There isn't that much difference between a high wing trainer and a low wing sport plane, however a jet will fly very fast and you could get behind the curve, so maybe fly one more sport plane to get you used to the speed before you fly the Habu. It really is that easy. You could be up to flying your jet in a very short while if you follow this route. Any time you can find on a simulator will help you advance even faster. You will find your time with club members to be rewarding. There is always knowledge being shared and the friends you make will last you a lifetime of modeling. Good luck with your en devour. Let us know how it goes.

Dean
buckaroo is offline Find More Posts by buckaroo
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
Hello arpeggio22, My advice would be to start with the trainer. You can find a nice looking one, there are enough of them out there. You should probably start at your local RC hobby shop, that way you can get sound advice and develop a relationship with them. Stay with electric if you want to fly jets. Pick a radio system that has the ability to hook up a trainer cord. Your trainer should have a symmetrical wing with ailerons and a rudder. Next join the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) they are our national governing body. That will get you liability insurance that will permit you to fly at sanctioned fields. And lastly join a local RC club. You now will have everything you need to become a successful RC pilot. Your club members will teach you to fly using the trainer cord so you will not wreck your airplane while learning. You will solo before you know it. After that you can be on your own. There isn't that much difference between a high wing trainer and a low wing sport plane, however a jet will fly very fast and you could get behind the curve, so maybe fly one more sport plane to get you used to the speed before you fly the Habu. It really is that easy. You could be up to flying your jet in a very short while if you follow this route. Any time you can find on a simulator will help you advance even faster. You will find your time with club members to be rewarding. There is always knowledge being shared and the friends you make will last you a lifetime of modeling. Good luck with your en devour. Let us know how it goes.

Dean
+1 solid advice
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
744 Posts
Great advice, this is definitely the way to do it.
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:05 PM
United States, NC, Grifton
Joined Nov 2012
25 Posts
+2 on the first post. After turning way to many aircraft beyond my capability to fly into the most expensive "LAWN DART COLLECTION" known to mankind....... Be the smart guy and do it right. You will never regret choosing that path. I should know. I did it all wrong in the beginning. I was young, dumb and had money in my pocket. Doomed from the start. I over came it all in the long run but the path I chose was brutal to my wallet, my ego, and my sanity. The last 35 yrs flying in this hobby has been awesome but those first couple of yrs were..... let's just say I wouldn't want to go back and do it again. Good luck.
HURRICANE FANS is offline Find More Posts by HURRICANE FANS
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:46 PM
Rickson C
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Dec 2006
321 Posts
+3 on that post as well. I have my EDF T-45 as a third plane and I still have to spend some time to get use to it. Spent a lot for time on simulator (8hr+) but figured out that those simulator do not simulate the stalling characteristic very well. Getting stalled and into a spin dive is the nightmare that freaked me out. I have only taste it with my real RC plane and learnt how to prevent it.
ricksonchow is offline Find More Posts by ricksonchow