SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:09 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Discussion
Avian - First RC Plane in New Zealand

A couple of weeks ago, while I was visiting family in NZ, I had the opportunity to visit the Southward Car Museum on the Kapiti coast. Among the exhibits was this RC plane hanging from the ceiling. It is the `Avian' built by Alan Vause in 1938, and is touted as "New Zealand's first radio-controlled model aircraft".

It appears to be rudder-only and have a wingspan of about 8 feet (possibly longer, I didn't measure it).

I thought it might be of interest, and would appreciate any additional information on this pretty plane.
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:25 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
A couple of weeks ago, while I was visiting family in NZ, I had the opportunity to visit the Southward Car Museum on the Kapiti coast. Among the exhibits was this RC plane hanging from the ceiling. It is the `Avian' built by Alan Vause in 1938, and is touted as "New Zealand's first radio-controlled model aircraft".

It appears to be rudder-only and have a wingspan of about 8 feet (possibly longer, I didn't measure it).

I thought it might be of interest, and would appreciate any additional information on this pretty plane.
That engine up front looks like an Ohlson&Rice 60 and that would fit the date.
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Not an Ohlson, exhaust on wrong side !

Ross
harborflyer is online now Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:49 PM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,912 Posts
It may be a Brown, I don't see the exhaust, but the intake looks like a brown. Also there were no Ohlssons in 1938.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:25 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor View Post
It may be a Brown, I don't see the exhaust, but the intake looks like a brown. Also there were no Ohlssons in 1938.
I looked in the engine encyclopedia to see if I could find something that matched the engine but came up blank, but it only covers American engines. As CC said, it has Brown looks with the soldered on bypass. I did some blowups, they're not real good, but here they are for what they are worth.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:49 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
470 Posts
Not a brown, appears to have left side bypass, bolt on right side exhaust, front crank, points etc. too far uot from case. ??

Ross
harborflyer is online now Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:18 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Condor View Post
Yes my mistake. But Brown does have the bypass at the front and also I do not see the timer arm ?
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:09 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,517 Posts
I'm surprised the Kiwi's have not come in yet.
Perhaps they are still on holiday???????????????
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:30 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,682 Posts
I think it's a lesser known type.
For C/C, it's not true that there were no Ohlssons in 1938!
The Miniature dates from '37 and the Gold Seals from '38.
I don't think it's a Brown, because the Brown fin profile is dead straight (parallel), whereas the profile on this engine appears to be tapered, like an Ohlsson.
However, I don't think it's an Ohlsson because there are no fins on the top of the head. No Ohlsson ever had a "flat top".
Thanks to Leadchucker's blowups, you can just see the timer arm, sticking out from behind the propeller.
OK, I just looked in Mike Clanford's book and this engine looks like an NZ Acme .99 to me...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brokenenglish; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:58 AM
Old Timer
CARMICHAEL, CALIFORNIA USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
I think it's a lesser known type.
For C/C, it's not true that there were no Ohlssons in 1938!
The Miniature dates from '37 and the Gold Seals from '38.
I don't think it's a Brown, because the Brown fin profile is dead straight (parallel), whereas the profile on this engine appears to be tapered, like an Ohlsson.
However, I don't think it's an Ohlsson because there are no fins on the top of the head. No Ohlsson ever had a "flat top".
Thanks to Leadchucker's blowups, you can just see the timer arm, sticking out from behind the propeller.
OK, I just looked in Mike Clanford's book and this engine looks like an NZ Acme .99 to me...
All quite true brokenenglish.
California Condor is offline Find More Posts by California Condor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:57 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
I'm researching! Will be in touch. Takes a while to work the holiday spirit out of the system!
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:45 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teals1 View Post
I'm researching! Will be in touch. Takes a while to work the holiday spirit out of the system!
From the placard, the builder, Alan Vause, had recently rebuilt it, so someone in Auckland may know him. It would be interesting to learn a little about the radio system, as well.

Good luck with the research, Teals1. About the only research I managed while there was with the local `Tuatara' brews, the porter was my favourite!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:27 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,971 Posts
Alan sadly passed away, 2005:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NZMAA-News/message/2222

There is some information about Les Wright, the radio manufacturer who also cooperated with Frank Bethwaite, read this web page:
http://www.modelflyingnz.org/hallofframe/wright.htm
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Jan 27, 2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:33 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Thanks for the links, TF. Alan and Les were obviously major contributors to the realm of RC aircraft.

It's commendable that Alan made the effort to rebuild the Avian and place it on display so that we may enjoy this bit of RC history.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:24 AM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2011
24 Posts
I believe that the motor fitted to the refurbished Avian is an Acme - most likely a 60 but possibly a 99. Acmes were made in small numbers and various sizes by a small business in Christchurch, New Zealand, before and for a few years after WW2. I owned one until recently.

PS I am a New Zealander, living in Hamilton.
Silver742 is offline Find More Posts by Silver742