SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:29 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Question
T-28 trojan wobbles tail in flight like a fishing lure

So basically my T-28 trojan wobbles tail in flight like a fishing lure. faster it goes the worse the wobble. it appears the wobble is most pronounced at the rear of the ship. Any thoughts on what might cause that?

First post owns page one.
servoactuated is offline Find More Posts by servoactuated
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:19 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,980 Posts
That's what's known as 'Dutch Roll'. You will probably notice it as a wagging of the tail and maybe a slight rocking of the wings it's probably worse as you exit turns. You will be able to set it off wagging by giving a quick pulse of rudder in straight and level flight.

It's a form of dynamic instability that you get on planes that have strong lateral stability (e.g. lots of dihedral) and relatively weak directional stability, a side effect of Parkzone deliberately making the T-28 easy to fly by using lots of dihedral. It's nothing to worry about really, just a sign that the plane is has lots of lateral stability and so has a strong 'self righting' tendency.

The only way to 'fix' it would be by reducing dihedral and/or adding more area to the vertical stabiliser. These days a gyro on the rudder could be used I guess but that might interfere with turning the plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:18 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
So all PZ T-28 Trojans have this behaviour?
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:03 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,980 Posts
I'd assume so, I know the PZ Corsair does
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
I get that effect sometimes when I fly my FMS 1400MM T-28. I was thinking maybe it was the wind or something else. But sometimes my T-28 will track straight as an arrow and then other times the tail will wag a little
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:45 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,988 Posts
I've never noticed it on my PZ T-28 Trojan.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:27 AM
Cats can fly!
Joined Jun 2012
148 Posts
Mine has never done it either. If there is a misalignment of the tail feathers, would that be a contributing factor?
neon the cat is offline Find More Posts by neon the cat
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:40 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
On my little T28, the feedback potentiometer in the servo became contaminated and it exhibited this behavior, I could see the rudder wagging back and forth.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:29 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,980 Posts
Obviously if the rudder servo faulty and jittering back and forth that could also cause this problem but I assume the OP would have spotted that

Still sounds like a classic case of Dutch Roll to me. Not having flown a T-28 first hand I cant say for sure they all suffer from Dutch roll but I know for 100% sure that the PZ corsair Dutch rolls like crazy.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Heh, on mine it wouldn't happen without the slight vibration from the motor and the servo having to hold position against the slipstream.
CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,604 Posts
Heck, hang a treble hook from the belly and see if you catch anything!
Rockin Robbins is online now Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
I've been flying mine for a long time and never noticed it. If it is very pronounced, I'd say something is wrong and that is not normal.

I do notice it on my Parkzone Icon, but that is a well known issue which has been discussed in the thread on that plane. I don't recall seeing this discussed in a T28 thread, but you should do a search and see.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:26 AM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,213 Posts
JMHO, I think that the Vertical Fin on that T28 is too high and too big. Note that all of all of this height is above the thrust line. Could be the spiralling propwash hitting that huge vertical.

Since this fishtail phenomenon doesn't exhibit itself in all T28s, its vertical fin could be marginally too big. So depending on the throttle level, the fishtailing could come and go.

When I was designing pattern ships way back, I'd play around with dorsal and ventral fins, as well as varying vertical fin heights and areas.
I think the T28 can get by with a less tall vertical fin, or transfer some of that vertical fin surface below the stabilizer (ventral fin)
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:06 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Replace the servo.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, KY, Vine Grove
Joined Jun 2012
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I've never noticed it on my PZ T-28 Trojan.
Mine neither, my PZ T-28 flies smooth.
vg33 is offline Find More Posts by vg33