HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:56 PM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
640 Posts
Discussion
Does any Sim ?

Is there an RC Sim that allows you to modify the performance of the plane by changing out the motor, prop, esc, battery, servos?
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Does any sim?

I'm betting just about every malor sim has that ability. Try them out at your local hobby shop.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
you can change prop motor and battery on almost every sim but servos esc cannot be changed.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Servos cannot be changed? What do you mean? Even the function of the ESC can be modified.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:33 AM
United States, MS, McComb
Joined Sep 2012
113 Posts
I have realflight 6 and its awesome u can change out alot! of stuff put i have never changed servo you can though change how much it throws and how much its control surface is pushing the plane
caseydood4 is offline Find More Posts by caseydood4
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
640 Posts
I have Phoenix and it has parameters for thrust and all this other stuff but I haven't found where you could choose a new motor.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:05 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,471 Posts
You can't change servos, but I know you can change things like delay of surface movement, surface throw, surface drag rates all those equal same as changing a servo.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Sep 2011
640 Posts
Last night I used my Phoenix sim. I looked all through the detailed edit screen and nowhere do they give you the ability to switch out motors or props. All the editable parameters are physics based.

I'd like to have a sim where you could play with different motor/prop/esc/battery combinations to see how they they affect flight performance.

Anyone know of a sim that does this?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
*cough* RealFlight *cough*
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Sep 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
*cough* RealFlight *cough*

Cool! I'll demo it to see if it's worth *coughing* up the dough!

Anyone have other recommendations?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Talk to enough people, everyone will recommend everything.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
I bet the OP is talking more about Brand Name items, which IMO would be amazing if a sim could get all the manufacturers would get on board. Unfortunately since most of the major distros have their claws... er marketing departments, in a specific sim I don't see this ever happening.

Imagine something Gran Turismo or Forza quality with the majority of major Airframe manufacturers onboard, where you could swap in a selection of popular engines, wheels, light kits, whatever. Now we all know (or should) that GT and Forza are great simulators, but do have an entertainment factor that slighltly outweighs thier simulation factor (ie Close to products like iRacing but not quite), and I would suspect this would be a similar outcome of the above theory product... Otherwise you'd have to bench airframes/parts to the sim developers standards instead of them converting your marketing benches to their own system.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Most people will tell you that any particular aircraft react completely different in a sim versus real life. I know myself that the 450 helis on the phoenix sim are way more twitchy than my real 450 (which flies in real life more like the 700 does in the sim). So I guess my point is, sims are to get you in the ballpark of what it feels like in real life, they're not perfect. So a sim that lets you choose each of your individual parts, wouldn't be very accurate anyway.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
So a sim that lets you choose each of your individual parts, wouldn't be very accurate anyway.
Huh? Please elaborate.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:24 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Huh? Please elaborate.
I was referring to the part of the discussion about swapping individual parts (this esc, that motor, these blades, etc) on the sim.

It might give you an idea how 335mm blades might act vs 325mm blades on a heli, or how a more powerful motor or servo travel might change flight characteristics. But utimately even 2 different brands of the same sized product, or same rating, behave differently.

I'll say it again, sims are to get you in the ballpark of what it feels like in real life, they're not perfect. So how would testing an esc or motor on the sim help your real life decisions of what to choose? When I think most people agree that sims are not like the real thing. And models on the sims fly nothing like they do in real life anyway.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz